84 Corona advice...

old_st141

Hey guys

My dad has an old 84 Corona ST141 with the 2L 2S-C. The car has been running rough. Also heating up more than normal sometimes, and needs topping up in the radiator at stages. The car gets mostly short trips, so it's not always noticeable. I'm dubious that the oil or filter has been changed for a fair while. Dad's memory on that type of thing ain't too hot anymore :-(

I think it *may* be the head gasket, but am not very mechanically minded.

Am wondering on what the best approach would be? Get an oil + filter change and see what happens?

Thanks for any advice

Go easy on me, I'm new :-)

old_st141

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I take it when you say "Get an oil + filter change and see what happens?" is it means that you are not going to do this work yourself. If you take it to a mechanic they should be able to tell you whether the head is bad or isn't.

Before you do that check the colour of the oil and the smell, it should not smell burnt and should be brown or black. If it is milky then you may have a head issue. Also check for bubbles, any bubbles will be an indication of a head problem.

Another check for head gasket issues is to take the radiator cap off (when car is cold, or cold enough not to spurt everywhere) and then start car and watch what happens. The water level will rise and come out the top eventually, but what you are looking for is small bubbles coming up. If there are you almost certainly have a blown head gasket. Another way that a head gasket issue manifests itself in these engines is external leaks of oil around the cam box area.

There may be simply a leak in a hose or the radiator itself, this can be done visually while the engine is running at operating temperature.

Roughly could be a symptom of lots of things, lots of small trips don't do much for these engines and fuel systems, try giving it a longer run perhaps.

Hopefully it's not a head as these can go for a very long time if well looked after

Good luck

Tony

Hey guys

My dad has an old 84 Corona ST141 with the 2L 2S-C. The car has been running rough. Also heating up more than normal sometimes, and needs topping up in the radiator at stages. The car gets mostly short trips, so it's not always noticeable. I'm dubious that the oil or filter has been changed for a fair while. Dad's memory on that type of thing ain't too hot anymore :-(

I think it *may* be the head gasket, but am not very mechanically minded.

Am wondering on what the best approach would be? Get an oil + filter change and see what happens?

Thanks for any advice

Go easy on me, I'm new :-)

old_st141

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did mean I would take it to a mechanic. They said it is the head.

I guess it's time to put it up for sale and start looking for a new(er) car! Or take it to the wreckers :(

Cheers

old_st141

Edited by old_st141