vibrating / feels out of balance etc

Hey all....just thought id raise this....i normally always have problems with getting my tyres balanced properly...i go back again and again....touch wood last job seems ok....although i might ring around and check for a place that has heard of Lug centric balancing and can guarantee they will do it i might fork out the cash to ensure done properly etc.....found this and thought id share

Lug-Centric

A hub and wheel design in which the wheel is centered by the lug nuts/bolts themselves, often with clearance between the center of the hub and the cut out in the wheel. Toyota wheels are lug-centric and as such require a special lug-centric fixture to be properly balanced on a cone-type balancing machine, as the wheel center hole may not be exactly centered on the lug center point.

Lug-centricity

The alternative to a hub-centric wheel is known as lug-centric.

The wheels are located solely by the lug nuts rather than

the wheel hub.

As the lug nuts are tightened, they adjust the wheel's position relative to the hub, thus centering the wheel.

Properly torqued, the lug nuts continue to keep the wheel centered as the vehicle is driven.

Lug-centric wheels require extra care in mounting on a vehicle. When using shouldered nuts instead of tapered nuts, take extra care to properly locate the wheel. Never use air tools to install high performance wheels! Always use a torque wrench and follow accepted tightening procedures

I took my rims off and on last night and ensured hub rings fitted properly and tightened opposing bolts properly etc...feels better then it did....maybe they werent careful at all in shop...and even with hub ring was a little off ?

From what i have read in afew other forums....ppl who work at tyre places say they have the specific lug centric balancing tool but they dont use it !!! they rely on using the centre hole...which is incorrect for toyotas. We go to the effort of putting on hub rings when the tyre isnt balanced properly in the first place, thus having it centered with the hub ring may produce the unbalanced feel as they balanced off the centre hole which is different etc

I wonder if many places have the special lug centric fixture ? and if they even use it ? ive never noticed them do anything different to other makes rims when standing around watching, defintely dont see them grab an extra piece of tool that looks like a lug centric device which basically means they have to mount the wheel onto the balancing device using the studs (see wheel balancing tool link below) ofcourse they never do this as it takes time...and time is money and most places work on a volume basis and not customer satisfaction im thinking.....

My advice - Ring around like i am going to ...ensure they have a lug-centric balancing tool for your fitment (4X100 etc) and ensure they use it.......watch them.....really glad i found this as im certain mine must be a little bit out.....this takes time they wont like to do it i assume. Prob will be best $40-50 we can spend

opinions please :)

Vibration Problems

Wheel Balancing tool for Lug Centric

Edited by jaderd

no one finds this interesting and the answer to their vibration issues lol

BUMP...need feedback im sure about 1% of tyre places actually use a lug centric balance tool on any of our wheels and tyres

Interesting find mate.

That machine shouldn't take up much space in your garage. I know where to go now to balance my wheel properly ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Goodyear Auto in Bayswater does really good balancing. Best I've experienced so far. What method they use excatly I'm not sure but the wheel weights that came with my wheel was stripped off and they added their own just so that they can be balanced properly.

So far, I am really really satisfied with them and I reckon they are the best so far although they can be quite far.

Takes me 30 minutes to get to them from where I am and that is wee early in the morning. They open at 8am most days.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i wonder whether they balance the proper way though etc.....in addition to Lug Centric tool they should balance the perfect way where you balance the rim on its own, find heavy spot and mark it, then add tyre, find heavy spot on tyre, oppose that to rim and then spin up.....hopefully is spot on if cancel each other out.....then if need be they add weight and should be the min amount needed as weights already opposed etc......

Lug centric balance + the perfect technique would be great.....time consuming but id be willing to pay an extra 5 $ per wheel / tyre to get it done the best possible way

Edited by jaderd

The business is family owned for ages. At least 15 years I reckon. Good customer service and great price too. On my old car they said one of the rims was fragged that's why it wobbled under high speeds. They fixed it the best they could and it felt great since.

Haven't been back until recently after having a few un-satisfying experience at a few tyre places.

Get asked why I kept going there. Told they solve my problems that's why even though fair far but what da h@ck.

i wonder whether they balance the proper way though etc.....in addition to Lug Centric tool they should balance the perfect way where you balance the rim on its own, find heavy spot and mark it, then add tyre, find heavy spot on tyre, oppose that to rim and then spin up.....hopefully is spot on if cancel each other out.....then if need be they add weight and should be the min amount needed as weights already opposed etc......

Lug centric balance + the perfect technique would be great.....time consuming but id be willing to pay an extra 5 $ per wheel / tyre to get it done the best possible way

Hi Jaderd, is it that for Toyota no matter what type of wheels you changed to, you need to do Lug Centric wheel balance? Will the Premium Balance in JaxQuickFIt Be considered as the Lug Centric Balance that you are talking about??

http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/tyre-wheel-balance.htm

yep looks the goods to me, basically as long as its using a finger plate type thing that is going through the stud holes as it means it then centering by the 4/5 holes etc and not relying on the actually hole for the hub. :)

yep looks the goods to me, basically as long as its using a finger plate type thing that is going through the stud holes as it means it then centering by the 4/5 holes etc and not relying on the actually hole for the hub. :)

Just asked JaxQuickFit in Brisbane, they are doing the Premium Balance at $15 per wheel.. not sure whether that is expensive or not.. ?? DO any guys know what they are charging elsewhere??

i'd pay 15 per wheel for the premium seems ok.....the one where balance rim on own then tread etc is the best althought mine are already fitted so aint going to rip them off....might go with the premium some time soon

Would be interested in how you go with the more premium balancing service. I thought due to the fact that most of the load of the wheels is through the hub and that a hub centric balance would suit most (>90%) of the customers out there. If it doesn't fix your problem then It would most likely be your hubcentric rings outta balance/shape.