Camry struts

Sanctuary

Hey guys, im wondering why the camry's struts start to make that rattling sound over bumps...ive replaced one of the front ones but now it seems like all of them are getting worse even the back ones. So i guess what my question is: What else could that rattling noise be (if any)? And what causes the struts to make a rattling noise? I drive a 2000 camry with less than 100000kms on it...its in top shape and never had any problems with it. Thanks in advanced

• 2 weeks later...

Problem would most likely be the Strut Hats, very common for this model...

Also check the sway bar links and bushes and make they're not dry and loose...

Sorry to but in, but I've been getting similar issues with my 1997 MCV20 Camry and like you said, it sounds like it's coming from the top of the suspension set up i.e. possibly the strut hats. How much would they cost the replace (roughly), can I do it myself and where can I get a pair?

Get them from your local Toyota dealer, get the new hats and bearings together... Probably looking at $350 - $400 total parts...

Yes, you can do it yourself, but you'll need spring compressors and to be really careful, not a job for the amateur backyarder... Also have to make sure the top centre bolt sits about 2 - 3 threads down when fully tightened... Take note of where they sit before removal and make sure they're in the same spot after tightening :) ...

Problem would most likely be the Strut Hats, very common for this model...

Also check the sway bar links and bushes and make they're not dry and loose...

Sorry to but in, but I've been getting similar issues with my 1997 MCV20 Camry and like you said, it sounds like it's coming from the top of the suspension set up i.e. possibly the strut hats. How much would they cost the replace (roughly), can I do it myself and where can I get a pair?

I have a new pair and bearings sitting in my garage if you are interested.