HID Retrofit

czaja74

Decided to scrap a 1st post. My retrofit is nearly finished. All parts ready to go in.

Yes it was quite scary but not as hard as I thought it would be.

Just quick thanks to you guys for all tips and big thanks to poohbear for his support.

My end result looked like this:

dsc0001largeemailview.jpg

I wasnt too happy with it but I needed a car to drive. Ordered new shrouds. Had a few days off so decided to pull it apart again. I preheated oven to 180C. Switched it off and put headlight in for 5.5 minutes. Lens prayed off really easy. Then next headlight in.....

Pulled out projector.

33803056.jpg

Using sanding yellow sponge from bunnings (very fine but cant remember the number) I wetsanded leflectors and headlights. Then Primed it and left over night.

66922972.jpg

35881496.jpg

Next morning paint spray (Engine Enamel High Temp Glossy Black)

48816225.jpg

84412271.jpg

Left to touch dry.

Next Projector shrouds.

83878859.jpg

They didnt fit as I expected so I needed to widen lens oppening and glue to the projector.

29668658.jpg

Diner time ...!!!!!

Ok headlights are dry and ready to reasemble.

Without lens

31309645.jpg

With lens

71745727.jpg

Edited by czaja74

Comming together

dsc0008largeemailview.jpg

Time to seal the lights.

dsc0002largeemailview.jpg

My oven is small so I reenginered it:

2largeemailview.jpg

Lights on:

capturelargeemailview.jpg

Boot:

1largeemailview.jpg

Please stand by for the final shots........

Edited by czaja74

wow didn't realize you uploaded more pics. can you see the range of colours at the cutoff when looking at the car at certain angles like the bmws? thats my favourite bit :)

that's a really good effort, im very envious of what you've accomplished there... h.i.d retro fit AND blackened headlights in the one go, well done and top job!!

also, sorry but a noob quesiton, is the brightness and distance of light of the hid reduced because of the projector lense?

cheers

that's a really good effort, im very envious of what you've accomplished there... h.i.d retro fit AND blackened headlights in the one go, well done and top job!!

also, sorry but a noob quesiton, is the brightness and distance of light of the hid reduced because of the projector lense?

cheers

Im envious too! Great original mod.

Congratulations on the end result!

cheers

That Black-coating makes it look very cool! just like the sportivo models i believe?

Looking very cool, i thing i didn't do was retrofitting the indicators to LED or something, maybe you can do that in the future ...

Regarding your question, the projector lens, that's how stock HID are supposed to be lit, uses the projector to disperse the light correctly on the road,

forming a defined cutoff and wide spread of beam......so you don't any glare like headlights fitted with HID bulbs replacement kits.

Regarding your question, the projector lens, that's how stock HID are supposed to be lit, uses the projector to disperse the light correctly on the road,

forming a defined cutoff and wide spread of beam......so you don't any glare like headlights fitted with HID bulbs replacement kits.

thanks for that! it makes sense that it's called 'projector lens

cant wait for the photos to be uploaded now for comparison's sake... no pressure btw =P

also, what type bulbs are used for this model camry? my dad has a gen 5.5 i believe, 2006 model... are they similar?

Thank you all for the feedback. I have to admit that it was scary. 1st time I was opening headlights it didn’t go too well (oven wasn’t hot enough). Also when cutting reflector I cut it way to small and then gradually widened the opening with high speed sanding disc. The 2nd time it was much easier.

I’m very happy with the end result. I will give it a wash and take shots on the weekend. Waiting for the Philips D2S 5000K (85122CM) and see how they perform.

Looks like I will have to reopen them again. Here is a problem (used JB Weld but it looks like I didnt use enough):

dsc0002largeemailview.jpg

Also after washing a car I noticed that they fogging. Do I need to seal them better?

dsc0003largeemailview.jpg

Looks like I will have to reopen them again. Here is a problem (used JB Weld but it looks like I didnt use enough):

Also after washing a car I noticed that they fogging. Do I need to seal them better?

What happened there? seems like the shroud has fell of... I used JB Weld as well, works like a charm,

perhaps not enough was applied? I probably used too much of it when i did it...

Fogging, I get some minor fogging, but its not too significant, you may want to add more of those nissan seals.

Btw, i didn't use the oven, I used a heat-gun, found it more convenient, or you could prep it by letting it sunbake for a few while,

the glue then becomes soft and you can pry it out (carefully that is)

YURO> i believe the gen 5.5 stock bulbs are the same as 5.0 (both low beams are the H4 dual filament type). Gen 6 is H7 to my knowledge...

thanks again poohbear! just wanted to double check that so cheers

sorry but on another side note again, out of all the bulb sockets, would the H4 type produce the most glare? since its a dual filament bulb and handles both hi & low beams using the single reflector shield..

apologies for hijacking thread :(

Still waiting for the bulbs. Decided to do another retrofit. My high beam lights look pathetic when used with HID so I will get Bi-Xeon projector. When I complete project I will put this lights for sale. Stay tuned.

I will be selling my headlights with projectors, shrouds, bulbs and a harness. If there is no interest in headlights I will consider selling stuff separatelly. Please let me know if you are interested in anything.

Edited by czaja74

I will be selling my whole HID setup. Headlights with projectors, bulbs, harness and ballasts.

I also have spare brand new sealed genuine Philips Color Match D2S 5000K (85122CM) at $200 a pair. If there is no interest in headlights I will consider selling projectors only. Also I have brand new box of Nissan sealant and one 98% full. Please let me know if you are interested in anything.

Aw if only you posted up the sealant earlier, I just bought some sikaflex today. How much is the nissan sealant?

how big r the projectors??

how much for the projectors n the shrouds?

Projectors with upgraded Premium Lens (scratch free). Shrouds were trimmed to fit headlight and are glued to projector (JB-Weld).

Asking $220pp

Edited by czaja74

Just couple of final shots.

dsc0001largeemailview.jpg

dsc0003largeemailview.jpg

I know headlights protectors are in the way but it doesnt interfire with light beam.

looks good czaja. nice car too :D you should continue the theme and put projector foglights! :lol:

Thanks. I will do Bi- xeon and it will be last thing.

Here are a night shot. I deleted other shots. This shot is the closest one to the real thing. Still using old bulbs.

dsc0008largeemailview.jpg

Edited by czaja74