Mick's AE82 Twincam

eviltwin

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive still got my AE93 SX seca to haha! ive been trying to persuade my g/f to sell of her daewoo kalos and jump into the SX but her folks arent to impressed hehe!!

New bumps , fitment of suspension begins! Also got sick of working on the car being so filthy so i gave her a waterless wah , 6 bucks at bunnings FTW! worked a treat...

1001843c.jpg

1001846m.jpg

1001847b.jpg

1001848y.jpg

other mods , well depends what yuo mean by mods , i hate interior changes especially in a car like an AE82 so it's all staying stock , outsides the same but with the little lip and skirts to match the cars age etc. It's all under the bonnet for me really , im about to buy new bushes throughout , rebuild the factory rear brakes and fit new pads and some slotted RDA rotors , once im done up the back ill move to the super strut brakes that need a rebuild , new pads , rotors etc , and once im done there a rear strut brace , front and rear adjustable sway bars etc , lots of $$ to spend yet Rocky.

Tash , cheers it's tough getting work done sometimes i just get to busy , hopefully i can get the rear struts in asap though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i went down to a steering place this arvo and got quoted $480 bucks for a reco on my steering rack , jaw almost hit the floor...

Anyways im currently doing my brake upgrade/installation... Waiting on my rears in the mail but i decided to be a rice boy and paint my Super strut calipers! Im not into all that look at me my brakes are red they wish they were brembos crap so i just went all out and got some gloss black , shiny yet subtle and thats all ive got, also on the trek home i decided to pick up some beer as a comfort eagle whilst i clean and paint the bastards. It took a bit of elbow greese but i took all the correct equipment, placed it in the one spot on my bench and went nuts. Now to do the other one. The rotor went on nicley after i buggered off the dust shield as that was no good considering the size difference between my stock brakes and these guys. My dog found the painting process quite interesting and kept watch at the fence for the missus so there was no trouble painting her tree as well as the calipers.. kudos young fella. Some fantastic shots of the greenery much enjoyed the shade on such a kent of a hot sticky day.

100_1952.jpg

100_1953.jpg

100_1954.jpg

100_1955.jpg

100_1957.jpg

100_1958.jpg

100_1959.jpg

100_1956.jpg

$480 is a ripoff.

Throw some new rack ends and tie rod ends on it and it will feel good as new... If you can get the "555" brand for the rack ends etc they're basically the best you can get, will probably set you back $150ish for them.

$480 is a ripoff.

Throw some new rack ends and tie rod ends on it and it will feel good as new... If you can get the "555" brand for the rack ends etc they're basically the best you can get, will probably set you back $150ish for them.

Thankyou Jason , locally im unsure what sort of access to that brand you mention i have but im sure i could have them sent in... i didn't really buy the speal from the bloke so thanks for the heads up , im sure i could easily attempt this at home and while im at it give it a clean and the likes , is there a way to flush them or is better the leave them as is?

the hardest part about changing the rack ends is getting some spanners thin enough to fit. The rack ends come with new boots and clamps, the 555 parts are made in japan, tons better than the china parts most places use these days.

I just change the rack ends and tie rod ends, fit up new boots and flush the system with Castrol Powersteering fluid and have never had an issue. I do the rack ends etc on every secondhand toyota I get, for the minimal outlay you end up with greatly improved steering.

Again thanks for the heads up! is there anywhere reputable i can ask for these 555 branded parts? locally i have the usual repco/supercheap/autobarn and then a few other guys i could possibly ask. I take it buying genuine toyota stuff is going to be a big spendup and these japanese guys would be just as good if not better.

After some good advice and some digging around ive managed to get onto some information through a couple of the gods and decided to do the reco myself , it won't be as thorough as a fully reco'd or exchange rack but it's sure cheaper than 480 clams... The tie rods are actually fine but the ends have seen better days and the boots.. well the boots arent worth discussion. Everythings been removed and i prepped the rack for a quick paint as it was covered in **** and looked poor against my engine bay presentation. So being me i got my tools out and got to work. The finally piece shows the story of today's work and hopefully i can shortly get the other assosiated parts to complete the job and have it back in the car. As usual my dog came and watched over proceedings to ensure all saftey precuations were undetaken. Im really pleased with the end result. The next step is cleaning and fitting all of the hosing and getting onto the parts i need.

100_1960.jpg

100_1961.jpg

100_1962.jpg

100_1968.jpg

100_1964.jpg

100_1965.jpg

100_1966.jpg

100_1967.jpg