2 Button fob for 2002 Avalon CSX

setneckstrat

Hi all

My first post.

This is my first Toyota and I hope to make it special. First week after purchase and I'm wondering if you can get and program a 2 button entry fob.

I've always had late model cars, but circumstances have changed and I've found this great Toyota Avalon that I want to get back to new condition and improve mechanically.

First stop is the entry fob which is annoying because you never know whether you've locked or unlocked the car unless you're looking at the indicators when you use the fob.

Is there anything available in 2 buttons that works - can you set up the boot as well ?

I've bought a second fob and followed programming instruction from thjs great site. Unfortunately the "turn the key 3 time and then push the new fob" changes the code and the original fob then doesn't work.

I'm looking forward to doing some performance things and changing the body with kit parts if this is possible. I look forward to learning from you all through this forum.

Cheers (and thanks)

John

Edited by setneckstrat

I'm not 100% familiar with the Avalon, but as far as I'm aware, if you have a single button remote, you won't be able to get a 2 button remote to work without changing the remote central locking classification ECU.

As well, you would need to add in an aftermarket boot release solenoid if you wanted that extra functionality.

For the ease of it all, you'd be better off buying an aftermarket alarm which can not only give you a lock an unlock button, but a boot release button as well.

Cheers DJ

Many thanks for your reply - I knew it wouldn't be simple, but at my age you live in hope.

Thanks again

John

I'm not 100% familiar with the Avalon, but as far as I'm aware, if you have a single button remote, you won't be able to get a 2 button remote to work without changing the remote central locking classification ECU.

As well, you would need to add in an aftermarket boot release solenoid if you wanted that extra functionality.

For the ease of it all, you'd be better off buying an aftermarket alarm which can not only give you a lock an unlock button, but a boot release button as well.

Edited by setneckstrat

Toyotas of that era all tend to have single-button fobs, however most of them you can program them so that the horn chirps as well as the indicators flashing, that way you don't have to be looking at the car to know whether or not it's locked or unlocked.

Personally, having grown up with a 96 Camry and 97 Corolla both with single-button remote fobs, I automatically look at the car when I'm trying to lock or unlock it, that way I _know_ that it's locked and not just trusting the button to have worked.

I've bought a second fob and followed programming instruction from thjs great site. Unfortunately the "turn the key 3 time and then push the new fob" changes the code and the original fob then doesn't work.

To get the original fob to work aswell you need to push all the fobs after the "turn the key 3 times" procedure. That will program all fobs to the same frequency. IIRC you can have upto 4 remotes programmed at one time.

Unfortunately if you have a pre 2004 Avalon then you are restricted to a single button fob. Post 2004 is when they changed to 2 button units.

Hope this helped. :)

• 13 years later...

I have a one owner 2001 Avalon Grande and it came with a 2 button Fob, large button locks and unlocks the doors and the other smaller button is supposed to open the boot via the remote. Unfortunately my smaller button is not opening boot have checked the solenoid which works by applying 12V direct, could be wiring fault where drivers side boot hinge anchors the wiring loom appears to have been crunched it. The remote boot release in the glove box also will not open the boot, in both cases (Glovebox sw and Fob boot button) the horn chirps but boot open solenoid doesn't activate. When I get a wiring diagram I'll check it out further.