• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fix the intake manifold.

If it's alloy it can be fixed.

Not sure if it is alloy or not, I think it may be cast iron?

did you want me to add a pic so you can try and tell me what it is?

Evo

its cast alloy evan, just fix it.

awesome! ok, places i can get it fixed, i am thinking exhaust shops?

Evo

maybe, though not many of them seem to be able to weld alloy.

I would be thinking welding places/engineers.

Silly me, tripping out...

I forgot that there was the custom work done on the car, to weld the ring onto the manifold, so i contacted them, and car is scheduled for fixing on Monday, leaving it with them throughout the week :D

hopefully, i won't have any more problems with the kit :D

Evo

Crossley's should be able to do it, Extreme Custom Engineering in Coopers plains are brilliant with TIG welding, very experienced with cast alloy etc.

Thanks Cha54,

Paul is very helpful, and very informative, cause of how much is really involved.

He said that they will need to take it off, and heat the manifold up then can start welding, so it should be all good :D

thinking though, what if i turned this into an intercooled set-up, by lowering the mounting point to the manifold and having something like a sandwich plate that can split the air to an intercooler, then back into the manifold? bit more custom work involved...<<<perhaps something in the future? :P

How about Water/methanol Injection? Thoughts???

Evo

Edited by Evo7

Save your coin Evan! if it works now don't fix it!

yes, i suppose, but I am very happy I won't require to purchase a new manifold from Japan :D CHA54, can you shed some light if an intercooler 'could' be done?

at least getting it fixed is alot cheaper then buying a new one! :D

Thanks guys,

Evo

wow, say if i was to do it, it would be a bit simpler, in that it can go between the manifold and charger plate, and lower the base the charger rests on... then fit that in there, without adjusting the height of the top of it.

Evo

They fitted the sandwich cooler before the runners, somewhere in the plenum chamber area. For reference, they had the shop cut out the section and replace it with the intercooler. The height/position of the supercharger didn't change.

well guys,

it looks like I am up sh!t creek without a paddle, the car is currently at Crossleys and Paul has informed me that the manifold cracks can't be fixed permanently, but they can put some epoxy on it and have that as a temporary fix.

Now, I have contacted Blitz, who forwarded me to JustJap in Sydney, so I am awaiting to hear how much a NEW manifold will cost... hopefully not too much.

If it is too much, I have 2 options:

1. Get a custom manifold made, with provision for a water core

OR

2. Upgrade to a TRD Supercharger kit.

:(

Evo

Decided that yes, i will get it patched up, but i will need to look into either getting a new manifold or upgrading in the near future.

Evo

• 2 months later...

Wow!

look at this, I haven't updated in ages lol :P i really honestly have nothing to add, just surprised no-one is asking about turbo or supercharging their cars anymore... :o

Still enjoying the Zipper, trying to maintain it etc. Only thing to add is My next service is gonna be sad, the water pump will need replacing and the timing cover seal needs to be redone.

Anyways, keep up the modding everyone, I have done my bit, and its sad to say that this project is indeed finished. :(

Have fun :P :lol:

Evo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Megalumbo update,

Running the TRD system now and taking it in for a tune either this week or next week

(which I am sure alot of people in Brisbane will be happy to finally hear :P

EDIT: Confirmation that she is booked in on Friday :D :yahoo:

Evo

where is it booked in to be tuned?

make sure its someone with a good reputation and deals in mainly jap stuff... alot of tuners will tell you they can do it even if they deal primarily in says fords and / or holdens, or euro cars... nothing worse than paying top coin for what you think is a good tune and it turns out to be crap... one of my mates who does alot of euros did a better tune for free on another mates car with his laptop, tek2 device and a piggyback chip for much less than what our other mate spent initially on a ***** tune at a reputable "holden" tuner...

just some info for thought... not saying that whoever u've booked it in with is crap (as I don't know who u've booked it in with) but just do ur research before getting it done with the first company you come across... u wouldn't send a porsche to toyota to be serviced... same difference...

:D

where is it booked in to be tuned?

make sure its someone with a good reputation and deals in mainly jap stuff... alot of tuners will tell you they can do it even if they deal primarily in says fords and / or holdens, or euro cars... nothing worse than paying top coin for what you think is a good tune and it turns out to be crap... one of my mates who does alot of euros did a better tune for free on another mates car with his laptop, tek2 device and a piggyback chip for much less than what our other mate spent initially on a ***** tune at a reputable "holden" tuner...

just some info for thought... not saying that whoever u've booked it in with is crap (as I don't know who u've booked it in with) but just do ur research before getting it done with the first company you come across... u wouldn't send a porsche to toyota to be serviced... same difference...

:D

Don't worry Stew,

its booked in up at Crossleys... they been very helpful and tuned it last time with the Blitz system.

Also, they are the only ones who have worked on charged 1zz's (mine, Pippy's and Harry's)

despite what others may think, they did a magnificent job with the blitz so I expect the same with the TRD :D