aftermarket gps for kx-s kx-r

Hado

Caska makes a model that can use an Intelligent Parking Assist System - but it is much more expensive - and I'm not sure if we can get it in Australia. :(

For those who are curious, the Caska IPA feature is not a self parking system like the JDM Toyota one (Fitted to some cars since 2000.). It is similar to the JDM Toyota parking line, but with, from what I can see, parking sensor integration (Not sure if it is for aftermarket or OEM sensors though.).

Would be interesting to see if the Caska IPA could be used with other brands or the OEM Toyota units.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have arranged to meet with him in the next fortnight when he plans to be in Melbourne to look at the Australian version.

I will let you know when this is going to happen and the results. Hopefully I will be able to take pictures and test the unit's functions etc.

If you have any questions you think I should ask let me know?

Kind regards

Hado

Hi Hado,

Just wondering if you had any updates? Do you know when you will be meeting with EasyPark - George?

Thanks

jaenschw

No meeting planned just yet - I told him that I was going to be away at a conference next week and he said he would probably do it after then.

I will give him a call tomorrow.

Kind regards

Hado

All

As promised I spoke to George from EasyPark yesterday.

He is still to decide which day he is able to meet - he has other reasons to be in Melbourne he also has to arrange.

Also the units have not arrived in Australia yet - but are due very soon.

He has been in discussion with FlyAudio about some of the initial questions I raised with him.

I am going to email him to better explain the 'hazard switch' issue with pictures.

I will also pass on all of our questions.

Kind regards

Hado

what's the advantage of this over getting something that fits just in the double din like something from kenwood or pioneer? Get to keep the third din slot for putting your pens and stuff.

1) It's bigger and better!

2) You need to move the hazard light switch and passenger seatbelt warning indicator somewhere, that's what the 3rd slot is for!

Ken.

I would really like one of these. From the website http://www.flyaudio.us/for-toyota/highlander it looks like you can add a couple of display headrests to keep the kiddies happy and it will play avi files. DIVX would also be nice.

Please keep updating this thread on availabilty and compatability.

Cheers very much.

I have been doing some research on the availability of headrest monitors and found these:

post-14696-1253963319_thumb.jpg

Still finding out prices, but these are designed as a direct replacement for the factory headrest.

Edited by Hado

I just got the price, more details and a better pic of these headrest monitors.

From the manufactuter in China:

"One pair price is USD$339/pair included shipping cost.

We can do black leather (Ash coloured) monitor for you, it's Retain Factory Design,Identical Color and Pole Distance."

This is about A$388 a pair delivered - might be able to do better with a group buy. They have an US ebay store so we can use paypal etc.

post-14696-1254268121_thumb.jpg

Features:

7" TFT LCD MONITOR WITH PILLOW

Optimal View Angle

3.5mm Headphone Jack

Game Controller Port

Resolution: 480XRGBX234

System: PAL/NTSC

Display Mode: 16:9

Brightness: 350cd/㎡

Contrast: 350:1

Built-in IR Transmitter

2 AV Inputs

OSD Menu

Built-in Touch Button

Remote Control

S/N ≥ 90dB

Isolation ≥ 65dB

Power Supply: DC 12V

Operation Temperature: -20°C ~+ 70°C

Storage Temperature: -30°C ~ +80°C

Features:

7" TFT LCD MONITOR WITH PILLOW

Optimal View Angle

3.5mm Headphone Jack

Game Controller Port

Resolution: 480XRGBX234

System: PAL/NTSC

Display Mode: 16:9

Brightness: 350cd/㎡

Contrast: 350:1

Built-in IR Transmitter

2 AV Inputs

OSD Menu

Built-in Touch Button

Remote Control

S/N ≥ 90dB

Isolation ≥ 65dB

Power Supply: DC 12V

Operation Temperature: -20°C ~+ 70°C

Storage Temperature: -30°C ~ +80°C

Any more technical details such as formats and integration with dash unit? They certainly look nice but I've burnt all my dvds so I'm looking for something that will play divx or avi.

Any more technical details such as formats and integration with dash unit? They certainly look nice but I've burnt all my dvds so I'm looking for something that will play divx or avi.

Rapper these are only monitors and have no playback functions,;however, I want DivX playback as well.

I didn't ask about headrest player/monitors.

The FlyAudio head unit has the ability to play multimedia files from a drive - from the website:

"Connects to your USB Drive using the included usb cable to browse pictures, play songs and movies.

Supports AVI, MPG and MP3."

There is no mention specifically of DivX etc. but most Chinese players have this function - even my cheap portable GPS can play DivX/Avi files.

I'm not sure if a 'USB Drive' is just a small flash memory drive or a larger portable laptop hard drive.

This will be one of the first things I check. Which reminds me I will follow-up about the meeting tomorrow.

Rapper these are only monitors and have no playback functions,;however, I want DivX playback as well.

Sorry, I didn't understand that. Thankyou for explaining. So would these be able to connect to the dash unit you are looking into? If I could control the monitors from the front that would be ideal. I've got two young kids.

What I really want is to be able to play avi or divx files straight off a portable usb drive. If that's not possible then from a usb memory stick or iPhone.

Can any of them display digital TV?

I think I might be asking for too much?

Cheers

All

I spoke with George from EasyPark today.

Earlier I sent him a detailed email explaining the issue with the long hazard switch assembly.

He checked with FlyAudio and unfortunately the switch does not come with the head unit and, as suspected, it was designed for US models and they assume we have the switch already. :(

I told him the Australian version of the switch exists, but we can only source it so far from Toyota for around $300 and this would make the upgrade to head unit he is selling too expensive.

He is now going to find out if FlyAudio can source the switch in China.

George mentioned that he spoke to someone from this forum who had found a supplier of the switch in Hong Kong - if so please reply and let us know?

Someone else also mentioned that they had the part number for the switch - this would help us research a better price.

Sorry this is taking so long.

Kind regards

Hado

Still continuing the search for headrest monitors.

I wasn't entirely happy with the previous version I found - there was too much plastic surrounding the monitor.

I like this version more:

post-14696-1254993370_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1254993949_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1254993965_thumb.jpg

They are priced at USD$336/pair including shipping costs - and $ conversion rate is good at the moment.

Are they going to look close enough to the factory headrests or out of place? :unsure:

Hado

Did you discuss with George the possibility of a club purchase, I have seen the unit avertised in various place from $1099 to $1395 and everything in between. I emailed George about the TPMS option and that will cost around $300, the reverse camera on the Kluger is aparently 6v and the unit connects to 12v so to get the picture through the head unit might cost extra as well. If you include $300 for the switch bundle, it all gets a little expensive by my recokining around $2000. With the CASKA unit comming in at half that price I am begining to wonder if the extra $1000 is worth it.

Regards

Ham

• 4 weeks later...

Ham

Sorry for the slow response - I have been focussed on getting my HID driving lights installed.

Hopefully we will be able to get the switch for much less than $300 and I will start chasing this now. George was going to raise this issue with the manufacturer to see if they could supply the switch.

I hadn't heard about the issue about the reverse camera - this doesn't seem right to me - these units are designed for the USA model without the OEM gps and they should have the same camera input as our model. Did George tell you this?

Agree we may have to go back to the first option if this is looking too expensive all up.

Kind regards

Hado

Edited by Hado

I spoke to the local dealer parts department today and the guy sounded very knowledgeable about the Kluger stereo situation.

He said the Australian delivered KX-S/KX-R are ordered without the stereo and they install the Fujitsu 10 double din stereos in Australia.

Toyota Australia didn't think the lower variant Japanese delivered stereos had the functions required for our market - i.e. no Bluetooth or mp3.

He can source the switch we need, but because it is not on their parts database we need to provide the part number.

He looked up the Grande hazard light switch and it would cost $240. This is an option - but it has extra buttons we don't need.

Can someone who is registered on Toyota Nation ask about the part number for the Sport hazard light switch? :help:

I am also going to try New Zealand tomorrow.

Ham

Sorry for the slow response - I have been focussed on getting my HID driving lights installed.

Hopefully we will be able to get the switch for much less than $300 and I will start chasing this now. George was going to raise this issue with the manufacturer to see if they could supply the switch.

I hadn't heard about the issue about the reverse camera - this doesn't seem right to me - these units are designed for the USA model without the OEM gps and they should have the same camera input as our model. Did George tell you this?

Agree we may have to go back to the first option if this is looking too expensive all up.

Kind regards

Hado

I took the plunge and ordered the Easy-park system with the TPMS (my wife bought it as a Xmas present). There are a few miss matches that still need to be ironed out and of course I will let you know how things go. I will be going away for a few weeks so it might

be some time before I can report its functionality. I am still interested in the part number for the sport part, but I am down the road from Toyota so I will try to find out from them direct.

Regards

Ham

Edited by Ham

Ham

Pleased that someone has taken the plunge. :)

I spoke to George recently and he told me you had done so.

Hope you are more sucessful at finding out the switch part number. Wilsact - who is also in Canberra - found it from one of the local dealers there so i am sure you can as well. Let us know the number if you do and I will try to find a cheaper source?

We will all be waiting for pics of the install and an update of how it performs.

Good Luck

Hado

Hi guys,

Sorry about the slow response re the switch. I will go back in and see the guy I spoke to last time and get the switch part number.

I don't think the grande switch would suit as it would have different connectors. You will need the switch I mentioned in previous post.

cheers

Your right wilsact, the switch is an integrial part of the head unit on the Grande so I will be loking to find a replacement. As I said I will be away for a few weeks after picking up the unit so be patient

To help with the instal I have been looking for the DENSO unit wiring diagram to help with the transfer as I believe that the new unit is possibly less compatable than the advertising suggests.

Any how, I will keep you all posted, anything that you think might help with the instal please post, I will be getting technical help as I am no electriction.

Regards

Ham

Hi Ham,

First post on these forums but I've been browsing for quite some time.

Anyway, have you checked out the install document on the Flyaudio website. It's a bit slow to download but does give some reasonable detail on the install, particularly how to remove the fascia panels. Also seems to show how to splice into and connect the factory camera up to display on the headunit - although I'd approach this with a bit of caution as there is quite a bit a talk about the camera requiring a 6V supply.

I'm keen to hear how your install goes though and your thoughts on the unit.

Cheers!

Acorn

Welcome and thanks for your contribution.

The install seems fairly straight forward - mostly plug and play except for the two wires from the reverse camera.

The other part we don't know about is how the hazard light/seatbelt warning/immobiliser light wiring from our model will translate.

These three inputs have been split up on our model to the two big round buttons and the install guide shows the long switch (step 16) has a single plug.

Let's hope our model just has a splitter and the original plug is still in place.

Kind regards

Hado

Welcome acorn,

I was aware of the Flyaudio site, the problem is that I am replacing an OEM head unit for the Flyaudio unit, there are a few differences that will need to be overcome like the phone mike, extra steering wheel controls, GPS sensor, rear camera,

the list goes on. I am beginning to think I should have gone for an easier option. But the unit has been ordered and the commitment made.

Regards

Ham