aftermarket gps for kx-s kx-r

Hado

All

I installed the FlyAudio GPS unit today - no problems at all - it was basically just plug and play. :yahoo:

Although I didn't try to get the reverse camera running through the main screen - too keen to see the GPS/DVD working.

The loom to the hazard switch just plugs in - as suspected their is a splitter loom on the old hazard and seatbelt warning light connected to the old stereo fascia surround.

My first impressions are that it is a very well designed unit:

- All steering wheel controls work perfectly.

- Bluetooth phone function was was included in the new model and it paired and worked with my Nokia N95 first time.

- The supplied iPod and USB cables run into the glove box - not tested yet.

I installed the supplied microphone on the front pillar - so it is now close to the drivers face. Tested briefly while not driving and it appears to work well.

I tested the DVD function briefly and the screen is clear and the sound is very good.

I haven't got the GPS software working yet - about to start work on this now.

I will post a separate write up of the install with photos ASAP.

Kind regards

Hado

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Hado, thanks for the update.

Look forward to your more in depth report. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the sound quality, ease of use, functionality etc.

Also, if you could explain your mic install a little that would be a huge help. Did you remove the trim cover on the A pillar or just press the cable in? I'm a little nervous with the airbag that resides inside...

Thanks Hado,

Sounds really promising. Not sure I'd install myself. The mic sounds a bit tricky and I need some special tools I guess?

Look forward to the next update.

Cheers

Rapper

The only special tools needed are some nylon pry bars - I bought a nice bright orange set from Jaycar for $25 - you couldn't do the install without these.

Jaycar panel removal tools

Kind regards

Hado

Hi Hado, thanks for the update.

Look forward to your more in depth report. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the sound quality, ease of use, functionality etc.

Also, if you could explain your mic install a little that would be a huge help. Did you remove the trim cover on the A pillar or just press the cable in? I'm a little nervous with the airbag that resides inside...

Acorn

I haven't spent any time playing music or DVDs - because of working on the GPS software - but my initial impression is that the sound is much better. It is 45W per channel and seems deeper and clearer.

I want to play the Gladiator DVD which is a good test of DVD sound quality. The head unit includes outputs for a sub which might be needed for action DVDs to sound reasonable.

The phone mic install was very easy. Just ran the thin wire under the dash to the join between the dash top and bottom on the drivers side (pried this open a little to get the 3.5mm audio plug through to the head unit) and then ran the wire up inside the door rubber - pushed it in gently with a point of a pry bar and pulled a very little of the grey pillar panel at the very top to push the wire in so the mic sits at the centre of the panel at the top. I took photos.

This shouldn't effect the airbag operation because it runs next to the panel not inside it - other than the mic hitting you in the eye if the airbag deploys. :P

Kind regards

Hado

Rapper

The only special tools needed are some nylon pry bars - I bought a nice bright orange set from Jaycar for $25 - you couldn't do the install without these.

Jaycar panel removal tools

Kind regards

Hado

Doesn't sound too hard, I think. Thanks Hado

Can you tell me where you bought it from and how much it cost?

Cheers

Well done Hado,

I have all of the parts but i will be looking for an expert to install my unit as the Grande has a few extra sterring wheel controls that I would like to keep working. However i would be very interested in seeing the pics.

Regards

Ham

Yesterday I got the latest version of Nav N Go IGO8 working on the unit in 800 x 480 WVGA -running at this res and on an 8 inch screen it is big and clear.

I have only had one drive with it running and have tested a few of the skins. Got the car cursor going, but losing the normal cursor on other skins - still some work to do.

So far the most noticeable benefit is the current car speed and local road speed showing always on screen - and warning you when over speed - much better than the speedo reading. :)

I will post pics when I get everything working 100%.

I might do a separate write up for those who want to run IGO8 on these units. It isn't easy to get going - but worth it to have the personalisation features IGO8 allows.

Some GPS units play DVDs in higher resolutions like 800 x 480, but run GPS software in lower resolutions, but I ran a test program which confirmed the FlyAudio unit runs the GPS in the higher resolution.

I also ran a test program to confirm the GPS port settings:

• Port = Com 6
  • Baud = 4800

I will have to get someone to come with me to take photos of it working - most of the features don't show unless you are moving.

BTW there was no need to run the GPS aerial anywhere - it is magnetic and just sits on top of the small info screen under the dash - which is plastic so it doesn't interfere with the signal.

Thanks to Terminator1 for mentioning this - it saved me not wasting time trying to install the aerial up on the dash.

All

We collected together some questions when we first found out about the FlyAudio unit - I have tried to answer them:

Is the hazard switch assembly included?

No - but we now know that it can be bought from Toyota for $224.

Are there options for the unit to accept RDS-TMC data?

Still not sure about this one - but the GPS software has the option for this, so most likely.

Will it be upgradable to digital radio?

FlyAudio say on their forum they are working on this as well as an option for satellite radio. They have a module for digital tv.

Does it auto dim the screen at night?

Yes - it dims automatically when you turn on your head lights on and it also has three brightness settings on the main menu screen to adjust any time.

How much is the TPMS senders/option?

Ham says it cost him $300 - but I haven't got this option yet.

Can the reverse camera be played through the main unit as the brochure shows the picture being shown through the trip computer screen?

Yes - I haven't tried to do this connection but the wires and instructions are provided for this option. It requires some connection of wires and is more than just plug and play.

Is there full function with the steering wheel controls, on the Grande there is the volume, mode (switching between Radio and CD), channel up and down, phone on/off and voice activation?

All the steering wheel controls work perfectly on the kxs - not sure about the Grande phone controls but I would be surprised if they didn't work via the same CAN BUS connections.

Does it connect to existing plugs?

Yes - simple plug and play - just three plugs to connect together.

Does the facia come in brown to match the beige interior colour?

Don't know about this - the version I have is grey like the centre vents. It matches very well.

Where does the Ipod connect?

A metre or so long white ipod connection cord is supplied with the unit - I ran mine into the glove box because once the ipod is connected all the controls are done by the touch screen or steering wheel buttons, so you don't need to touch the ipod.

The ipod function is very impressive - shows song title, artist, album on screen etc.

Are there detailed fitting instructions with the unit, for possible DIY?

Install instructions with clear photographs are provided for download on the Flyaudio website - it is very straight forward - about a 2 hour job. Easy DIY with the right tools.

Kind regards

Hado

Cheers

I got mine direct from the local distributor Easy Park Australia:

Fly Audio in Australia

Is there still interest in trying for a group buy price?

Cheers

I got mine direct from the local distributor Easy Park Australia:

Fly Audio in Australia

Is there still interest in trying for a group buy price?

Yep, I think I would be interested in a good buy if the price model was right

Hi Hado,

Thanks for the updates and extra info on the system. How are you finding the unit after using it for a few days? I'm also keen to see your write up on iGO8 and how you got this running, features, usability etc. Lastly did you end up connecting the reverse camera to the flyaudio screen?

Cheers!

Edit - Another question, does the bluetooth automatically connect to your phone on start up? or do you have to initilise each time?

Thanks!

Edited by acorn

Are there options for the unit to accept RDS-TMC data?

Still not sure about this one - but the GPS software has the option for this, so most likely.

Just because the software has the option, doesn't necessarily mean the hardware will feed the signal to it from the FM antenna.

Also, does the fly audio unit have dead reckoning if it loses the GPS signal?

Hi ,

Just checking ebay last night and I found this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/8-LCD-DVD-GPS-PLAYE...=item53df072c47

I am wondering if this is the same unit that Hado installed .

regards

Screenshots look different from the fly audio, and it is also half the price.

Please, please, please can we have some happy snaps of the units you guys have installed? :)

I just posted the install guide which includes some working pics - DIY install post

I will also take some pics of each function when I get a chance.

• 2 months later...

Well done Hado,

I have all of the parts but i will be looking for an expert to install my unit as the Grande has a few extra sterring wheel controls that I would like to keep working. However i would be very interested in seeing the pics.

Regards

Ham

Ham

Did you ever get your Fly Audio unit installed in the Grande?

Kind regards

Hado

• 3 weeks later...

Well done Hado,

Regards

Ham

Ham

Did you ever get your Fly Audio unit installed in the Grande?

Kind regards

Hado

Yes I have been using it for some time, although I would like to get the IGO8 installed. The TPMS works well but I needed to change the phone MIC for the one supplied. All the steering wheel controls work except for the voice activated phone list (I did not use it anyway, mine was very temperamental).

The rear camera needs to be changed and I have not chased that up yet, a few problems with my installer. I find the IPOD selection a little difficult as it shows songs as well as playlists but the sound is good and I use it all the time. For those who asked if it suits a brown interior the answer is yes I cannot tell it was not designed for the car and colour, seems one colour suits all.

Regards

Ham

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone looked at this model at all? EPA7523Nav George @ Easypark says the features are the same as Hado's unit, just a bit smaller, and no need to change the hazard switch. Any thoughts?

Picking up my new KX-S hopefully this week, so really keen to get one of these 2 units...

Thanks.....Leethal.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone looked at this model at all? EPA7523Nav George @ Easypark says the features are the same as Hado's unit, just a bit smaller, and no need to change the hazard switch. Any thoughts?

Picking up my new KX-S hopefully this week, so really keen to get one of these 2 units...

Thanks.....Leethal.

Hi Leethal

This is just standard double din unit.

regards

Yes I have been using it for some time, although I would like to get the IGO8 installed.

Ham I can give you a hand to get IGo8 running on the unit - if you want to PM me?

It has been a while since I got mine working so I can't remember every little thing I did - which is why I haven't done a post on the set-up.

Helping you might help me to remember and then I can post the exact steps for everyone.

The main problem was getting the resolution setting right - I kept getting a half sized screen running in the corner and getting the voice files to work took a while too.

Kind regards

Hado

Edited by Hado

• 2 months later...

Any news on a group buy, i cased out Toyota today for the Grande Hazard switch and $265 was the answer, id love to get a plug and play at the right price but me being a auto elec could do without it, but i would rather be lazy!

Any news on a group buy, i cased out Toyota today for the Grande Hazard switch and $265 was the answer, id love to get a plug and play at the right price but me being a auto elec could do without it, but i would rather be lazy!

An auto electrician here.. goody. How much do you charge for installation? What's a "fair" price.. I don't wanna get ripped off by others

An auto electrician here.. goody. How much do you charge for installation? What's a "fair" price.. I don't wanna get ripped off by others

Installation of the audio unit is very straight forward. With the info on this post and the instructions online, it's very easy. The bit that takes more time is removing the panel, since everybody wants to be extra careful not to damage it. The rest is just plug and play, even the hazard switch.