Aurion intermediate shaft spline

boxerboy

Okay, well I get that same clunking noise that DJKOR took a video of on youtube. I turned the steering wheel left to right and without even getting under that car I can hear it.

I just wonder though if this really is an issue or its meant to be like that.

The clunking should definitely not be there. If you get it, it will either be the intermediate shaft, the steering rack end, or the steering rack mounts. So far these seem to line up with what Toyota is doing to fix it in that they replace either the intermediate shaft, the steering rack end, or the entire steering rack.

Well, I'll mention this at Toyota when I take it in one Thursday. I don't see a point though mate, they love to give the run around all the time and twist there words around a bit.

I was first going in for a VVT-i oil hose change and a B&A. Now its also the oil lid and also this clunking problem. Far out. I kid you not I bet you every company puts faults in something on purpose so you spend money.

Okay, well I went back to the car, and this time recorded a video with my iphone to capture the sound. This is me with one hand under the car holding the iphone near the rack and the other hand moving the steering wheel. (With a flashlight pointing up)

(Turn up your volume a lot to hear it)

To produce the sound I need to vigorously turn the wheel left to right if I do it somewhat normal there is no sound and also its hard to tell which side the noise is coming from. Thats why I kept moving the phone to find it but I can't see anything.

I just don't see how this could be such a bad thing that will affect the car in someway. My steering is flawless and I hear no noise while driving fast, slow, turning, parking.

Only problem I have is steer left and Toyota will be looking at this on Thursday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IKIcXzAx-4

That sure sounds awfully familiar to mine. Just remember that when the car is stationary, any noises you get from moving the steering wheel as such should be taken lightly, but if you definitely hear it while driving (which I'm sure you stated), then it is something to consider.

When I first found that knocking, I related it to the steering rack end. A Toyota service advisor said that is one part they replace when the problem occurs. But when I got a wheel alignment at Fulcrum after I put my TRD suspension in, they said I have worn steering rack mounts which are causing that knocking sound. He said that's all I would need to fix to get rid of the knocking. Unfortunately though, it's not that easy (Note the 'NO.1' reference on the attached diagram). This is why I have also heard reports of Toyota changing the entire steering rack.

diag_1riYPF2.png

That sure sounds awfully familiar to mine. Just remember that when the car is stationary, any noises you get from moving the steering wheel as such should be taken lightly, but if you definitely hear it while driving (which I'm sure you stated), then it is something to consider.

diag_1riYPF2.png

It is similar, but I think thats normal seriously... I just went to my dads old 92 Hiace that has no power steering and I did the same thing and I can make the same noise with that car as well.

As much as I would love to change it, I don't think I will worry about it because I bet we can go thousands of KM's without anything happening, and buy then I would have sold the car long time ago and opted for a new car.

My old camry had done 350,000KM and it was a 1997. The whole steering wheel rack and pinion was replaced on that twice. The first time the mechanic changed it, it was faulty and the second one was good.

He said my old one had worn out and was leaking and everything known to man was falling apart. And that was after that rack and pinion had driven 350,000KM!

... but I think thats normal seriously...

Trust me, my issue is not normal. I get mine while turning at slower speeds, and when accelerating or decelerating. It can be heard in the car even with the fan on full and sounds like a wheel is going to fall off.

I have just gotten used to it. That's my solution in the meantime.

And as I stated, Fulcrum even inspected it and told me I had worn steering rack mounts. Does that sound like normal? :lol:

... but I think thats normal seriously...

Trust me, my issue is not normal. I get mine while turning at slower speeds, and when accelerating or decelerating. It can be heard in the car even with the fan on full and sounds like a wheel is going to fall off.

I have just gotten used to it. That's my solution in the meantime.

And as I stated, Fulcrum even inspected it and told me I had worn steering rack mounts. Does that sound like normal? :lol:

I just came back from a 10KM drive(Had to pick up something) and all the way home, even with the car dead silent, no music or anything, I tried to make the noise and I could not hear anything at all.

Your one of the wheel sounds like its going to fall off could be because of the way you drive your car around tracks and stuff. You must of added major wear and tear.

Edited by unique

Your one of the wheel sounds like its going to fall off could be because of the way you drive your car around tracks and stuff. You must of added major wear and tear.

The sound only occurs at slow speeds of about 10km/h.

I wouldn't doubt that the driving I have done has added to the wear an tear, but I wouldn't call it 'major wear and tear'.

I exaggerated a little. To me it sounds really loud, but that's because I am intentionally listening to it. It's no different to the sound others are getting with the intermediate shaft etc as I have heard that one in person. Remember, my car is up to 90,000km as well and it has been driven on some pretty harsh roads just normally. Roads like the Newell Highway which Mick here would agree was a bit rough.

Anyways, I accept any extra wear and tear by the way I choose to drive my car. I'd be willing to bet that it would last as long, if not longer than an Aurion driven sedately like yours. I inspect my car all over every month as part of my maintenance and tighten anything that may be loose or replace anything that my be worn. It's how the car is cared for that helps with giving it a good life.

I wouldn't doubt that the driving I have done has added to the wear an tear, but I wouldn't call it 'major wear and tear'.

I exaggerated a little. To me it sounds really loud, but that's because I am intentionally listening to it. It's no different to the sound others are getting with the intermediate shaft etc as I have heard that one in person. Remember, my car is up to 90,000km as well and it has been driven on some pretty harsh roads just normally. Roads like the Newell Highway which Mick here would agree was a bit rough.

Fair enough, I guess I need to do a lot more driving to get that many KM's added. In fact, I don't drive much, it will take me at least 4 years just to reach 100,000KM on my car (as its already done 60,000KM)

So it seems as though I won't hear any noise for a while if any, ever. This car was used for a lot of freeway/highway driving in the past as it was an ex fleet. What annoys me is that the past owner would smoke in the car. The dealer said no but I can tell he was telling porky pies when I looked at the ciggie lighter and seen its been used.

But anyway I'm getting off track here.

On that wear and tear topic of things, I just remembered this. Just showing that my hard driving may not be as tolling on the car as people seem to think.

I first reported getting this issue at around 75,000km in September 2009. This is many kilometres more than what other people have been getting the problem at and I had been driving it hard ever since 28,000km.

Anyways, I accept any extra wear and tear by the way I choose to drive my car. I'd be willing to bet that it would last as long, if not longer than an Aurion driven sedately like yours. I inspect my car all over every month as part of my maintenance and tighten anything that may be loose or replace anything that my be worn. It's how the car is cared for that helps with giving it a good life.

I can confess DJKOR drives an Aurion like it should be driven and is also a maintenace freak,i'm wondering if there is a bolt or clip on the Aurion he hasn't touched or at the least sussed out the workings of...so the two go hand in hand,i think by memory if you look up Aurion in a thesaurus there's a picture of Daryl's mug. :lol:

I can confess DJKOR drives an Aurion like it should be driven and is also a maintenace freak,i'm wondering if there is a bolt or clip on the Aurion he hasn't touched or at the least sussed out the workings of...so the two go hand in hand,i think by memory if you look up Aurion in a thesaurus there's a picture of Daryl's mug. :lol:

Yeah. We are both the same age, off by a few months, and this guy knows heaps about this stuff. Someone was a Grade A student at school. How did you learn mate? Self taught or someone teach you?

At the same age as me he is a confident guy, he knows much more then what many of us do.

Thanks Lee :D

Yeah. We are both the same age, off by a few months, and this guy knows heaps about this stuff. Someone was a Grade A student at school. How did you learn mate? Self taught or someone teach you?

At the same age as me he is a confident guy, he knows much more then what many of us do.

Nah, I certainly wasn't an A grade student. I'm just good with something if I can get my hands around it. Since I've pretty much taken my Aurion apart, I've got a decent idea of how everything ties together.

I was the type of kid that would take a screwdriver to toys and take them apart to see what makes them tick. I'm just a hands on learner.

Nah, I certainly wasn't an A grade student. I'm just good with something if I can get my hands around it. Since I've pretty much taken my Aurion apart, I've got a decent idea of how everything ties together.

I was the type of kid that would take a screwdriver to toys and take them apart to see what makes them tick. I'm just a hands on learner.

Im like that too, only I can never put things back together again.

• 3 weeks later...

Im like that too, only I can never put things back together again.

Hi Everyone.

My 2006 Presara started making the infamous knocking noise about 4 weeks ago. I am only 12 weeks outside my warranty period. It has gotten progressively worse over the weeks. The noise started to happen when pulling off from stationary poition and I could feel a clunky knock when my hands were on the steering wheel. It would also happen when applying my brakes to stop (at slow speeds). It has started to become even more evident over the last week and even bumps in the road, at slow speeds of about 40kmh, can cause the knock/clunk noise.

I had it in to Penrith Toyota last week. After hearing nothing from them I decided to call them up and spoke to the mechanic in the workshop. He said he had taken it out for a test drive and couldn;t hear anything, it must be intermittent! I told him to go out again as it was a constant noise, meaning all the bloody time! I then go to pick my car up and am told the steering shaft needs replacing, it is going to cost $560 but Toyota Australia will kick in 50%.

I am totally confused about what is happening. I called Toyota Customer Experience and after numerous conversations I was told the issue was NOT a known fault and that I still had to pay my 50% of the cost = $280.

So, on Monday, I begrudgingly booked my car in for tomorrow to be fixed. They call me today to advise they now don't have the part in stock and cannot get hold of one for at least 2 weeks as it is a very popular part and no-one has a spare. Doesn't tell you it is a fault with the car? I have called Toyota Customer Experience back and will be advising them to visit this thread to see for themselves if this is a genuine fault or not.

Edited by budgoi

In my opinion, it is a define fault of Toyota. That said though, it's not classified as a recall item so therefore if you are out of warranty, you will have to bear the costs. They are only treating it as a case by case basis, so if the problem comes up during warranty, they will replace it as part of the warranty.

If you end up paying for it, better make sure that they will offer to fix it properly free of charge if that part does not rectify the issue.

purely based on the fact that the part is low in stock must surely point to the fact that its a KNOWN problem..

i'd keep pushing the point mate... even though its not an officially recognised problem by toyota, there are enough cars out there with this problem to warrant you pushing the issue further, imo..

I have highlight the problem to them when i did my servicing END Nov.. they order the parts.. i went back to Singapore for a month and 1 week ago when i went to Southside Toyota to ask whether the parts have arrived, they told me NO.. i told them that my warranty is expiring END FEB. They told me not to worry, as long as the problem is lodged before the warranty period, they will service it.. So will be waiting for that to happen.

How bad must this noise be for you to hear it inside of the car! I have not got anything like this, and I hope I never do and even if I do I hope it decides to say hello before march.

There isn't any real noise, you can just feel it through the steering wheel. The thing that concerns me most is the fact that the knocking is steadily getting worse and I use my car for work. I travel 100km's a day just to and from work and I am worried my steering is going to fail on me. They now want me to stick with the problem for another 2 weeks or so before they can find one in stock and then book me in to fix it.

How amazing that I am worried about the safety of my $50K car and it's only 3 years old and meant to be one of the flagships of their company. Good on yer Toyota.

Bit weird if u asked me.. Why would Toyota kicked in some costs if they insisted it's not their fault? And 50%.. That's pretty huge.. Have u tried other Toyota? It'll be funny when other Toyotas recognize this and offer u another replacement with no charges..

Edited by VF-X

Yeah call many Toyotas. Some might do it free some otheres won't. There are plenty out there. Get calling.

edit: But then again, even if you tell them over the phone, they'll still say we will have to have a look at the car.

Edited by unique

I was able able to produce this sort of thudding noise out of coincidence. I was stationary and I had the steering turn sharp to the left and as I moved it I noticed thudding. It was loud and could be heard inside the car since it's a thudding noise. And I can feel it in the steering.

They call me today to advise they now don't have the part in stock and cannot get hold of one for at least 2 weeks as it is a very popular part and no-one has a spare.

Popular part! Now that's funny. It's popular for what reason? It's popular because there's a problem with the manufacturing of the initial part, that causes it to wear/fail and make this noise/knock at low speed.

It's popular because it's faulty and needs replacing. Ask the ***** why does he think it's popular? Feckin' bs.

Bit weird if u asked me.. Why would Toyota kicked in some costs if they insisted it's not their fault? And 50%.. That's pretty huge.. Have u tried other Toyota? It'll be funny when other Toyotas recognize this and offer u another replacement with no charges..

Thanks all for your feedback. Thanks VF-X for your advice.

I have contacted two dealerships in Blacktown and Castle Hill. I explained only the syptoms so as not to lead them down any paths. Both suggested the steering shaft as being the culprit. Blacktown said it was a common problem and "have fixed a fair few"!

Castle Hill was aware of it and said the RAV 4's have mostly been in to get fixed.

So what more proof do i need if their own dealerships whi sell the cars are saying there is a problem?

I will ring some more and provide a list of responses for you to refer to if needed.

Writing this from the Toyota dealer with my iPhone. Getting a few thing checked out. Getting the slim lines put on and getting an oil leak checked out and to put the icing on the cake I asked about how the left side makes a clunking noise when you move the steering wheel. And I said I heard others had this problem and toyota have changed the whole rack in some cases. And he kind of stood still didn't say anything for a second then said it would be the shaft ;) and I was like yep, would like it if you guys have a look. Yay. Hopefully they will do something or get back to me with the good news.