Aurion intermediate shaft spline

boxerboy

Back home from the dealer, they put on the slimlines, they look nice :D :D . Going to give the car a full detail tomorrow.

Okay here is the interesting part. They ordered the intermediate shaft which will arrive in 2 weeks or so. This IS a problem and I guess anyone who has not done it yet and still under warranty get it done for FREE! Don't pay a cent, if I don't have to don't see any reason why anyone else should. I'm very pleased with the service.

Here is my work order scanned:

scan0001pg.jpg

As you can see my rocker cover needs to be replaced too which is a bit disappointing for such a new car.

They said that when the new part comes in they will call me up to make a booking.

Thanks Lee :D
Yeah. We are both the same age, off by a few months, and this guy knows heaps about this stuff. Someone was a Grade A student at school. How did you learn mate? Self taught or someone teach you?

At the same age as me he is a confident guy, he knows much more then what many of us do.

Nah, I certainly wasn't an A grade student. I'm just good with something if I can get my hands around it. Since I've pretty much taken my Aurion apart, I've got a decent idea of how everything ties together.

I was the type of kid that would take a screwdriver to toys and take them apart to see what makes them tick. I'm just a hands on learner.

Im like that too, only I can never put things back together again.

Hi Everyone.

I had it in to Penrith Toyota last week. After hearing nothing from them I decided to call them up and spoke to the mechanic in the workshop. He said he had taken it out for a test drive and couldn;t hear anything, it must be intermittent! I told him to go out again as it was a constant noise, meaning all the bloody time! I then go to pick my car up and am told the steering shaft needs replacing, it is going to cost $560 but Toyota Australia will kick in 50%.

I am totally confused about what is happening. I called Toyota Customer Experience and after numerous conversations I was told the issue was NOT a known fault and that I still had to pay my 50% of the cost = $280.

Bunch of bull****. Show my work order as proof mate.

As you can see my rocker cover needs to be replaced too which is a bit disappointing for such a new car.

Correction; rocker cover gasket.

These things can happen though. Not every engine is made perfect unfortunately. Could have been a slight defect with the gasket as well rather than the way it was assembled.

Correction; rocker cover gasket.

These things can happen though. Not every engine is made perfect unfortunately. Could have been a slight defect with the gasket as well rather than the way it was assembled.

Alright rocker cover gasket! :P .

Edit: Did you get your one fixed yet?

Edited by unique

No. Only time you need to change it in most cases is when you remove the rocker cover, if it wasn't sealed 100% in the first place, or it has just been a fair while as they do degrade over time. As I said, these things can happen, even for something off an assembly line.

No. Only time you need to change it in most cases is when you remove the rocker cover, or if it wasn't sealed 100% in the first place. As I said, these things can happen, even for something off an assembly line.

Sorryy, my bad. I meant your shaft to stop the clunking. :lol:

It's not the shaft that's clunking on mine. That part is still fine on my Aurion.

As I have mentioned a few times, mine is the steering rack mounts. I get no odd feeling through the steering wheel and it's just purely noise. The only real way to fix this is to change the entire rack because the mounts cannot be obtained on their own. It doesn't affect performance or safety, so it's just an annoying noise that I can put up with until I can figure out a solution that doesn't involve changing the rack.

It's not the shaft that's clunking on mine. That part is still fine on my Aurion.

As I have mentioned a few times, mine is the steering rack mounts. The only real way to fix this is to change the entire rack because the mounts cannot be obtained on their own. It doesn't affect performance or safety, so it's just an annoying noise that I can put up with until I can figure out a solution that doesn't involve changing the rack.

Hmm alright, but I guess it won't kill to get it done. Its free and something that might become a problem later on. Your close to hitting 100,000k so might be a good idea to get it done.

Who knows they might even change your rack. Just ask around different dealers.

Its free and something that might become a problem later on. Your close to hitting 100,000k so might be a good idea to get it done.

I'll put it this way... try asking Toyota to replace a part* for free that is currently still in working order. I think everyone can figure out the answer to that.

Are we forgetting my car has a limited warrany because it was flood damaged? Because it is on the outside of the car, they tend to shift the blame pretty easily without looking into it. For the effort involved, I'm not going to go from dealer to dealer once I get the same answer a couple of times.

* That is not involved in a recall.

Have had my car booked in for service for the past few weeks. The clunking has been steadily becoming worse to the point it now feels like a car with broken engine mounts. It was really bad the other day when the car was full - every time I accelerated it would clunk (even while moving), when I even tap the brakes it would clunk, and even just rolling down the hill and the gear would drop down I would get a clunk! It doesn't seem to have affected the handling at all, but the sound is very noticeable. Even friends have commented over it recently! :o

It really makes me wonder how much worse it can get...

Its free and something that might become a problem later on. Your close to hitting 100,000k so might be a good idea to get it done.

I'll put it this way... try asking Toyota to replace a part* for free that is currently still in working order. I think everyone can figure out the answer to that.

Are we forgetting my car has a limited warrany because it was flood damaged? Because it is on the outside of the car, they tend to shift the blame pretty easily without looking into it. For the effort involved, I'm not going to go from dealer to dealer once I get the same answer a couple of times.

* That is not involved in a recall.

Hmm alright. I didn't forget I did not know you had limited warranty.

Wow, mine has gone really really bad, its a thud thud thud as I turn the steering wheel turning corners slowly and I can actually FEEL it slightly in the steering when it thuds.

Hope I get this fix soon. Two weeks is going to feel like two years to get the part in. Then I have to book it in which always they are booked out so need to book about a week later. Damn it.

More then 3 weeks.

Hi All.

First post here!

Anyway - to the business at hand.

I have an 07 Aurion SX6. Done 57,000ks and warranty ends in about 6 weeks.

I took it in for its 60,000k service early to have the following looked at:

- Dash rattles so much you'd think it's about to fall off.

- Drivers air-vent rattles and moves from where you adjust it.

- Oil Line recall.

- Radio buttons back-light would go out (you know - the bright blue one that you simply can't miss - that took me nearly an hour in the car to figure out what was 'different' the first time!).

- And what appears to be the infamous 'clunk'.

They have refitted the dash under warranty - CHECK (but now auto-headlights don't work).

They have replaced the CENTER air vents - will try that one again with them.

They have done the Oil Line recall - CHECK.

They have replaced the radio unit (and didn't bother to remove my CD's before doing so - I would have had I'd known it was a full replacement job). So hopefully will get them back!!!

They have told me that the problem was a loose engine mount - I think not - nothing has changed since they torqued that up.

So - my symptoms...

- I have the exact same knock that unique shows in his iphone video (although I'm not sure if this really is a problem, and if it is even related???).

- As I pull up, I sometimes get a tap through the steering.

- As I pull away - most of the time (not always) I get anything between a tap/tap tap through to CLUNK in the steering as I pull away. (Yes - sometimes I get two taps)

- I have found that in a perfect straight line, I get little to no clunk, yet if I pull up with a smidge of lock on, or put a smidge of lock on as I pull away i get the tap/tap tap/clunk!.

- If i am pulling out of somewhere and putting lock on to turn, i get some tapping happening as well.

So guys - I ask you this - you reckon it is either the rack or intermediate shaft? It has to be one of them!

Is there anything I can do at home to help diagnose? (I can't lift the car up in any safe manner where I live at the moment so can't get under to have a look).

Looking forward to ringing the dealer again on Monday.

I'll be honest, a loose engine mount doesn't feel like the symptoms I have. From past experience with a dog bone mount loose (previous car), as soon as you back off the throttle in my experience you get a reciprocating thud/clunk/tap. I only get the minor tap as i pull up.

Cheers,

SkyHigh.

They have refitted the dash under warranty - CHECK (but now auto-headlights don't work).

Chances are they forgot to connect the ambient light sensor when they re-ftitted your dash. Easy fix, but if you are going back there, you can just get them to look at it if you want.

As for your knocking issues etc, it sounds like the same issue I have where my steering rack mounts are stuffed, but I think mine is more of a rarer case that doesn't happen to many Aurion's from the sounds of it.

The thing is, there are three possible faults being the intermediate shaft, steering rack ends, or steering rack mounts. Each of these can produce very similar symptoms, so without seeing it first hand, you can't simply say over the internet which issue you have. It's like trying to diagnose an illness over the phone.

Checking the steering rack ends and mounts will be much easier if you can hoist your car up so you can visually inspect everything. The intermediate shaft can be inspected from inside the car, but you will have to loosen a few things to test for play in it.

- As I pull away - most of the time (not always) I get anything between a tap/tap tap through to CLUNK in the steering as I pull away. (Yes - sometimes I get two taps)

- I have found that in a perfect straight line, I get little to no clunk, yet if I pull up with a smidge of lock on, or put a smidge of lock on as I pull away i get the tap/tap tap/clunk!.

I had similar symptoms - ie. when taking off a couple of clunks which seemed to come from the steering area but was actually from the front right strut.. It ended up being

a faulty strut bearing (my '07 prodigy has only done 30k km's ) - Toyota replaced it and the noise has gone..

I had mine replaced under warranty. It lists as a $400+ job otherwise.

Symptoms: very slight knock noticed at very low speeds, when moving off, or turning slowly.

The fellow at the parts/service counter said it was due to the manufacturing process, the splines weren't right when made.

First I've heard of it.

Did your wheel alignment go out of whack? And changing the shaft, did it stop the knocking noise.

Also, does anyone know if after replacing this part, in the future the part will fail again and same symptoms will come up?

Symptoms: very slight knock noticed at very low speeds, when moving off, or turning slowly.

The fellow at the parts/service counter said it was due to the manufacturing process, the splines weren't right when made.

First I've heard of it.

Did your wheel alignment go out of whack? And changing the shaft, did it stop the knocking noise.

Also, does anyone know if after replacing this part, in the future the part will fail again and same symptoms will come up?

Wheel alignment has never been adjusted. There was a very slight shake at the wheel at 110kph which I haven't noticed since it was fixed. Knocking has gone.

Fwiw, the young bloke in spares said the shafts were victim of a manufacturing fault, so the logical assumption is they fixed them when they made new ones.

However, as I'm often heard to say at work.."never assume". I don't really know the answer. Time will tell I s'pose.

Edited by boxerboy

First I've heard of it.

Wheel alignment has never been adjusted. There was a very slight shake at the wheel at 110kph which I haven't noticed since it was fixed. Knocking has gone.

Fwiw, the young bloke in spares said the shafts were victim of a manufacturing fault, so the logical assumption is they fixed them when they made new ones.

However, as I'm often heard to say at work.."never assume". I don't really know the answer. Time will tell I s'pose.

Awesome, thanks for that. Can't wait to get mine changed. :D

edit: I should ask, did you notice any difference in steering? Did steering become more heavy/lighter stay the same?

Reading through here someone said that after theres was changed there steering became heavier?

Edited by unique

First I've heard of it.

Awesome, thanks for that. Can't wait to get mine changed. :D

edit: I should ask, did you notice any difference in steering? Did steering become more heavy/lighter stay the same?

Reading through here someone said that after theres was changed there steering became heavier?

Steering has always been fine. No change noticed by me....just the low speed clunk.