Turbocharged 2GR-FE news

DJKOR

Hopefully Paul (now 'Princess Peach' once again) won't mind me resposting this, but here is a little news for those here wondering if the 2GR-FE can be boosted.

Well... apparently it can. Everything is still under wraps, but just some words on it:

Turbo Camry Gen 6-6.5 V6 and Gen6 I4 - Gen 5 & 6 - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

My friend has been working on a Turbo V6 and finally completed it. It ran great and strong. Here are the specs.

Owner: Classified

Engine:

3' custom downpipe

3' turboback exhaust

GT35R Garrett dual ball bearing turbo with V band flange

22PSI

Turbo XS type H bov

Precision intercooler rated at 600HP

2.5 intercooler piping

550CC injectors

Apexi engine management

Custom 2.5 turbo manifold (Classified)

Stock internals

Transmission:

Stock

The car dynoed at 390WHP before the motor blew. The shop and my friend believes that the stock internals of the 2GR-FE is good for a reliable 350WHP setup.

The motor of the I4 camry, 2AZ, is also good for a 350WHP reliably.

Funny thing was, Gene's motor blew at 390WHP, same WHP that my friend w/ the V6 blew it at. Both were running Garrett dual ball bearing turbos.

Just to let the guys who are interested in boosting the V6 know the limits of the motor. BTW, the tune on my friend's car was done at a reputable and reliable shop. My friend's car is in the process of getting a new V6 engine and lowering the boost for safety reasons.

For any questions, I have enough information on the custom turbo manifold and engine management for the V6 turbo owners to get their project going. If you're serious about this, you can PM me. And thats if you are serious. Not window shopping.

This thread is to finally resolve the questions about turboing the V6, and the limits of it. Remember, if you are planning to turbo any car, THE TUNE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. You can boost up to 350WHP but if its done on a crappy shop that doesn't know how to tune, you will blow your motor/turbo. Get a reputable shop to tune your car.

Stock internals 2GR-FE:

350WHP

Stock internals 2AZ-FE

350WHP

Hope this helps and clear the air for you V6 & I4 owners.

35R +22psi - is he a retard? thats why you have a blown motor! that is a massive turbo and way too much boost for stock internals

any good workshop can build a turbo kit for the 2GR but who in the world can tune the ecu or make a piggy back thats the main problem!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 2GR turbo......life long dream

check out 1st link and 1st reply, he needs a slap!

Edited by ELEGNT

Since you clicked on the link, you should probably read more as well Rowan:

My friend was pushing out 390 when he blew. He blew it because his boost spiked, common to all cars running boost controllers. Same way Gene blew his engine, his boost spiked lol.

So in reality, the car was fine at 390WHP on both cars. However the safe measurements on stock internals is presumably 350WHP.

It wasn't set to 22 PSI, hence the term 'boost spike.'

Anyways, so what if he blew his engine? That is his lesson to work on.

I don't hear anyone else attempting to boost their 2GR, so this guy should get some credit at least.

You'd think they would have had a boost cut in place on the ECU so it didn't pop during a boost spike... If they're using a piggyback then I'm not suprised it blew.

That would be absolutely insane to have over the front wheels, I can just picture it.

But either way, it's good that the guys over there are giving some thought into the matter!

Is there an aftermarket ECU that can control your gearbox? I can't see a piggyback cutting it if you're serious about boosting a 2GR.

We just did (apparently) Aus' first boosted old-school V6 Camry (3VZ-FE). Honestly, the worst thing about it was it was a tight fit - manifolds/piping is easy, it's just toight loike a toiger.

Edited by the_random_hero

That would be absolutely insane to have over the front wheels, I can just picture it.

I reckon it would be quite fun if you're game. This guy seems to love all 520HP of it:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Is there an aftermarket ECU that can control your gearbox? I can't see a piggyback cutting it if you're serious about boosting a 2GR.

We just did (apparently) Aus' first boosted old-school V6 Camry (3VZ-FE). Honestly, the worst thing about it was it was a tight fit - manifolds/piping is easy, it's just toight loike a toiger.

You can wire a full aftermarket ECU to control the ignition, fuel, vvt banks and electronic throttle, leaving the stock ECU in place for the auto control.

If you want to get rid of the stock ECU completely (bad idea IMO) there's also complete aftermarket electronic auto controllers out there (where you program the shift maps, elec lockup etc etc) eg: http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/transcontrol.php

Edited by CHA54

I really like the sound of a manual Camry Sportivo with a 2AZ-FTE producing upwards of 300whp! :)

So, when does the gearbox bug out...?

Gav.

its not a mazda box :P, so not at 150hp :P

OT;

Props to the guy for trying it, but really, 22psi on stock internals is sillyness.

So who wants to get them selves this setup, an emanage ultimate and a e153 + make an adapter plate? hehe *looks at daryl*

actually, if somehow fitted the e153 you could more easily ditch the stocko ecu...

The guy that did the 2gr swap into his MR2 didn't need to use an adapter plate to mount the E153 to the engine. Just an M14 helicoil in the block for one of the un-tapped holes for bellhousing mount, and a 1MZ flywheel with heavy duty 3sgte clutch.

The guy that did the 2gr swap into his MR2 didn't need to use an adapter plate to mount the E153 to the engine. Just an M14 helicoil in the block for one of the un-tapped holes for bellhousing mount, and a 1MZ flywheel with heavy duty 3sgte clutch.

really?! wow... that makes it alot more promising... all you would need now is to fab gearbox mounts, and come up with a cv solution...

mmm manual aurion with LSD....

really?! wow... that makes it alot more promising... all you would need now is to fab gearbox mounts, and come up with a cv solution...

mmm manual aurion with LSD....

We can only dream, more so. Daryl can do it! COME ON DARYL! :P

The country is counting on you! ;) haha

Yes then you have to manufacture a gearshift and linkages to go to the gearbox... i dont think the Mr2 one will work for that... not in a million years the other question i have is this... torque steer??? i cant imagine its the best handling beast in the world with 350 FWHP I can only imagine its rev rev rev rev boost lane change, change gear, boost, change lane, change gear boost, hit wall/tree/post/other cars

Yes then you have to manufacture a gearshift and linkages to go to the gearbox... i dont think the Mr2 one will work for that... not in a million years the other question i have is this... torque steer??? i cant imagine its the best handling beast in the world with 350 FWHP I can only imagine its rev rev rev rev boost lane change, change gear, boost, change lane, change gear boost, hit wall/tree/post/other cars

Celica GT4 gearbox linkages/shifter....

and no one said it had to be practical...

Celica GT4 gearbox linkages/shifter....

and no one said it had to be practical...

It's not hard to convert the linkages on an E series box at all, can grab them from AE95 AWD boxes or even AE92 or AE101 4agze gearboxes too.

The gear lever/shifter cables and pedals can come from the gen 6 Camry Sportivo as well as the lower part of the centre consul. Will also need the hand brake lever from the gen 6 Camry to replace the foot operated park brake in the Aurion.

The gear lever/shifter cables and pedals can come from the gen 6 Camry Sportivo as well as the lower part of the centre consul. Will also need the hand brake lever from the gen 6 Camry to replace the foot operated park brake in the Aurion.

so dave, time to source an E153 then?

Maybe a bit later when the warranty runs out! I have thought about it.

Also the E153 was fitted to the gen 4 & 5 V6 Camrys.

Maybe a bit later when the warranty runs out! I have thought about it.

Also the E153 was fitted to the gen 4 & 5 V6 Camrys.

it surely was... and it will also bolt straight on to my motor, when i eventually destroy the s53 thats in my car now

God forbid we lose the foot operated park brake what a shame that would be. NOT

That is my one and only gripe with the stock aurion package. That and the stupid pedal combo for losing traction control for some reason when i do that pedal combo i half expect a little noise or tone or something such as when you engage cheats on a playstation or xbox game hahaha

That is my one and only gripe with the stock aurion package. That and the stupid pedal combo for losing traction control for some reason when i do that pedal combo i half expect a little noise or tone or something such as when you engage cheats on a playstation or xbox game hahaha

I gotten a noise before. Someone behind beeping their horn at me :lol:

I gotten a noise before. Someone behind beeping their horn at me :lol:

haha... but the TC does make noise too... dosent it daryl :P