Reputation System

httttt

i dont think its such a great idea. a lot of other forums ive been to with the reputation system in place has a lot of hostility associated with it. i think with a community like ours, which is pretty obvious in my opinion, its more a resource and to help others, rather than determine whos good and whos a ******.

i dont think its such a great idea. a lot of other forums ive been to with the reputation system in place has a lot of hostility associated with it. i think with a community like ours, which is pretty obvious in my opinion, its more a resource and to help others, rather than determine whos good and whos a ******.

i agree with lateralus.

maybe its because i am always the one who needs helps.

but on the other hand, the efforts of those who contributed should be acknowledged by forum members too!

Rather than this, we could have a 'thanks' function in which users thank the poster for a helpful/insightful post, etc.

That sounds pretty good.

In the meantime though, if you are not aware, you can go to a member's profile and rate them by clicking the amount of stars on the left hand side.

On that note, thanks to those that have voted me. I appreciate my rating :D

Rather than this, we could have a 'thanks' function in which users thank the poster for a helpful/insightful post, etc.

That sounds pretty good.

In the meantime though, if you are not aware, you can go to a member's profile and rate them by clicking the amount of stars on the left hand side.

On that note, thanks to those that have voted me. I appreciate my rating :D

5 stars!!

you totally deserve it Daryl! :toast: :toast:

I really like the "thanks" idea over the rep system!

A simple button with a thumbs up next to each post would be cool. Sort like the facebook thing that has a "i like this" button... There is no need for an "I dont like this".

• 4 months later...
I really like the "thanks" idea over the rep system!

To resurrect this thread a bit, I have seen that the Toyota Nation forum has recently integrated a 'thanks' feature to their forum and it seems to me like it would be a great idea. Their reasoning behind it is reduce the number of thread cluttering posts that are there just to simply say thanks where appropriate. It's also to reduce post boosting where a singe word thanks reply can gain you an extra post to your count.

They obviously use a different forum system there, but I was curious to see if the Invision Power Board can do so as well. I'm not sure what version is being run here, but if such a feature can be added as detailed in the below link, that would be excellent I reckon. The feature below is a version 2.2 and 2.3 feature, so I'm not sure if this board is newer than that. Also, that attached mod has some shocking spelling mistakes, LOL.

Thanks Advanced 2.2

Thanks Mod Light - ajax

Edit: Man, if this board is version 3.0 or above and this following mod can be used.... I will even pay for it:

[EN30] Ajax Thanks v1.0.2

Please, please, please, please, please.

Edit 2: Looks like this board is more than likely version 2.x

• 3 months later...

I really like that idea - I know there are plenty of members on here I'd like to thank for all the advice they have given. Pity I'm not much good at all in the programming space otherwise I'd offer to help out. Any possibility of implementing something like this?

I really like that idea - I know there are plenty of members on here I'd like to thank for all the advice they have given. Pity I'm not much good at all in the programming space otherwise I'd offer to help out. Any possibility of implementing something like this?

Tash:

signle.jpg

Lol!! Is that what that button is for! Bahahahah.. Chalk that up to a total blonde moment for me! :D :lol:

Its a POS. Doesn't work <_<

Well... fancy that. Lucky it doesn't work then so I can't get a negative rep for the above post :lol:

LOL..

That's more like to highlight if the reply is relevant, valid or help most people with the problem.

With the reputation system, I do think the stars on the homepage of the user ID is excellent..

That's more like to highlight if the reply is relevant, valid or help most people with the problem.

Yes, that is correct. However, as I see this feature, by clicking the + at the bottom there, you also add one rep point to that members profile. That way, the more +'s the member gets from useful posts, the higher the reputation.

Is it not correct that useful posts is what the reputation is about in the first place?

Yes, that is correct. However, as I see this feature, by clicking the + at the bottom there, you also add one rep point to that members profile. That way, the more +'s the member gets from useful posts, the higher the reputation.

Is it not correct that useful posts is what the reputation is about in the first place?

Regardless, its a POS. It doesn't work and so are most of the new stuff. Looks good but its information overload and the fact that you cannot mark all forums read 5h!ts me because the latest post button is based on activity over the last say ... 24 hours and so on .... :angry:

Regardless, its a POS. It doesn't work and so are most of the new stuff. Looks good but its information overload and the fact that you cannot mark all forums read 5h!ts me because the latest post button is based on activity over the last say ... 24 hours and so on .... :angry:

Scroll down to the very bottom of the window, and theres a button which says "Mark Board As Read". It's waaaaay out of the way, but it is there.

...and the fact that you cannot mark all forums read 5h!ts me because the latest post button is based on activity over the last say ... 24 hours and so on .... :angry:

I've just learnt to live with that one. About the best you can do is on the "Active content" page, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on "Mark board as read". Then when you click on "Latest Posts" again, just ignore all the posts that don't have that little square icon next to them. Sure it isn't as clear as having only recent posts show on the page, but oh wells.

Edit:

Scroll down to the very bottom of the window, and theres a button which says "Mark Board As Read". It's waaaaay out of the way, but it is there.

His argument still carries a valid point. In the old layout, when you marked it as read, next time you clicked "View new posts", it would only give a list containing new posts, even if it was just one. It was less cluttered that way.

• 3 months later...

This sounds like a pretty top idea to me :)