spark plug replacement

SCOOTA44

I cant answer that one but on the gen 4 & 5 Camrys you could BUT the amount of extra time and aggravation it would cause trying to do it without removing the plenlum (upper intake manifold) was just not worth in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
Pull off the plenum chamber under the windscreen, pull off the manifold and do the plugs...

Replace the manifold gasket and put it all back together...

thanks everyone just had the iridium spark plugs replaced, they were in good nick compared to the new ones but very exe $141 a set. the guys had a bit of fun getting the plenum chamber off (bracket behind left side of chamber) but this was their first one so the next one that needs doing they got the tools and method to do it a bit quicker.

• 2 months later...
can the rear spark plugs be replaced without removing intake manifold ?

I'd like to retract my statement from before and say that the chance of changing the spark plugs without removing the intake plenum (referred to as surge tank in the manual), is pretty damn slim.

... they were in good nick compared to the new ones but very exe $141 a set.

Hehehe, got mine for $118 a set. But yeah, the tips of my plugs were in great condition. It's good to know it was working well.

dsc05615b.jpg

the guys had a bit of fun getting the plenum chamber off (bracket behind left side of chamber) but this was their first one so the next one that needs doing they got the tools and method to do it a bit quicker.

Kudos to them for managing to get that bolt off without removing the windscreen hardware. I tried everything to get around it but just couldn't. I had to resort to the service manual method.

Speaking of which, I will do a quick guide (a rough one) to show what to do to access the spark plugs on the rear bank. Refer to next post.

Okay, so if anyone out there decides to take on the task of changing the spark plugs on their Aurion, then here are some pointers to get you going. Detailed instructions can be found in the service manuals but for those that just need an push in the right direction, these photos may help. Like with my DIY oil pipe guide, these following guide is written with the assumption that if you are taking on this task, you would be able to figure out how to take parts of the car apart (ie. you would know how to search for nuts and bolts that hold certain pieces of trim on the car).

Firstly, take the engine cover off and locate the intake surge tank (plenum) and the 4 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the front of it on:

dsc05578f.jpg

dsc05581i.jpg

Then remove the upper intake resonator and disconnect any hoses (vacuum lines and coolant lines for the throttle body) and electrical cables that are connected to the intake plenum and throttle body:

dsc05586l.jpg

Now before the intake plenum can come off, there are two more bolts holding it to the engine. These are located at the rear of the plenum. The one located on the right side (first photo) can be removed easily by entering in from where the upper resonator was. The one on the left though (second photo) is in a pretty tight space blocked by the brake fluid reservoir:

dsc05587u.jpg

dsc05588.jpg

If you can't figure out a way to remove the second bolt, then you will need to perform the following steps. Firstly remove your wipers and the plastic trim underneath it:

dsc05594.jpg

Then remove the wiper motor and undo all nuts and bolts holding the metal tray/trim in place. You will then be left with plenty of space to work with:

dsc05595.jpg

dsc05596k.jpg

dsc05597.jpg

From here, you can now remove that intake plenum:

dsc05602u.jpg

Then you just change your spark plugs as per normal, clean up around the intake etc (even clean the plenum out with throttle body cleaner because it will be dirty), put on some new intake plenum gaskets, and reverse the procedure.

Okay, so if anyone out there decides to take on the task of changing the spark plugs on their Aurion, then here are some pointers to get you going. Detailed instructions can be found in the service manuals but for those that just need an push in the right direction, these photos may help. Like with my DIY oil pipe guide, these following guide is written with the assumption that if you are taking on this task, you would be able to figure out how to take parts of the car apart (ie. you would know how to search for nuts and bolts that hold certain pieces of trim on the car).

Firstly, take the engine cover off and locate the intake surge tank (plenum) and the 4 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the front of it on:

dsc05578f.jpg

dsc05581i.jpg

Then remove the upper intake resonator and disconnect any hoses (vacuum lines and coolant lines for the throttle body) and electrical cables that are connected to the intake plenum and throttle body:

dsc05586l.jpg

Now before the intake plenum can come off, there are two more bolts holding it to the engine. These are located at the rear of the plenum. The one located on the right side (first photo) can be removed easily by entering in from where the upper resonator was. The one on the left though (second photo) is in a pretty tight space blocked by the brake fluid reservoir:

dsc05587u.jpg

dsc05588.jpg

If you can't figure out a way to remove the second bolt, then you will need to perform the following steps. Firstly remove your wipers and the plastic trim underneath it:

dsc05594.jpg

Then remove the wiper motor and undo all nuts and bolts holding the metal tray/trim in place. You will then be left with plenty of space to work with:

dsc05595.jpg

dsc05596k.jpg

dsc05597.jpg

From here, you can now remove that intake plenum:

dsc05602u.jpg

Then you just change your spark plugs as per normal, clean up around the intake etc (even clean the plenum out with throttle body cleaner because it will be dirty), put on some new intake plenum gaskets, and reverse the procedure.

to get to that bracket my mechs only removed the vvti oil pipe, moved to one side and accesed it from there, wasn't easy but like I said earlier it will be easier next time.

Just to reply to DJKOR, always a good idea to cover your intake with a rag or something so no loose objects can fall inside the tubes... Thats the last thing you wanna do...

Yeah, I made sure of that. I was more concerned about dirt/bugs getting in there. Thanks for the heads up though. I just took it off for the photos so everything could be seen and made obvious.

• 9 months later...

Thread resurrection :P

How many kms can the iridium spark plugs go for? I heard 100000km is no problem for them.

Any link where i can get the iridium spark plugs? Did you buy Denso or NGK iridium spark plugs?

Thread resurrection :P

How many kms can the iridium spark plugs go for? I heard 100000km is no problem for them.

Any link where i can get the iridium spark plugs? Did you buy Denso or NGK iridium spark plugs?

The stock plugs are a Denso Iridium plug with an Iridium tip and a Platinum pad (ground). These are referred to as a a "Iridium Long Life Spark Plug" in Denso literature and is the one that I bought. Got them direct from Toyota. Service life specified on these types of plugs is said to be 100,000km and this is something I would generally follow. Even though some may report that they have gotten more out of them, I would still consider changing them before 100,000km.

If you go for the Denso ones, the Denso part number is "FK20HR11" (this is also what Toyota use in their part reference), and the NGK ones are "DILFR6D11".

It's up to you to find where to get them if you choose not to go Toyota.

Thanks DJKOR. There shouldn't be a difference in the Denso or NGK spark plugs so i'll go with NGK. Have had good experience with them in the past. No problem. Also Repco has 20% off on NGK iridium spark plugs so i'll go with them.

Adamsy how cheap can you get them for? :ph34r::help:

thats a good question, i looked it up for myself once and it wasnt too bad much cheaper than the $140odd Scotta paid. Ill have a look tomorrow and see what i can do a set for. :)

Have had good experience with them in the past. No problem.

And then what would you say about the Denso ones that are in your Aurion at the moment? If it ain't broke, then don't fix it would be what I would say.

And I see what you did in that other thread. You changed your mind and decided to service it yourself. Why the change of mind?

thats a good question, i looked it up for myself once and it wasnt too bad much cheaper than the $140odd Scotta paid. Ill have a look tomorrow and see what i can do a set for. :)

If you can do better than $118, then I need to make friends with another parts dealer :lol:

On a side note, I'm glad that the TRD spark plugs are easier to change than the non-TRD.

And then what would you say about the Denso ones that are in your Aurion at the moment? If it ain't broke, then don't fix it would be what I would say.

And I see what you did in that other thread. You changed your mind and decided to service it yourself. Why the change of mind?

If you can do better than $118, then I need to make friends with another parts dealer :lol:

On a side note, I'm glad that the TRD spark plugs are easier to change than the non-TRD.

lol well ill do a few sums on it and see what we could let them go for and also what trade price is on them. Also i'd try and stay with DENSO if it's possible but then i do work for Toyota so it's kind of drummed into me lol

I thought initially that you had to take the engine out but now since you don't have to then i can do it myself. Never like any car repair/service centre because they always charger you a bul*s**t amount for something you can do.

The best example was when i asked them to do a oil service for the landcruiser. They charged me $189 and then i thought they would be using good oil but in fact they told me they were using 20w-50 oil <_< Refused on the spot, drove to SCA and bought valvoline 10w-40 oil and a filter for $60 and did it myself. :toast:

Edited by A Buff Hamster

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems my first post in this thread was wrong...

Got to do the job myself today at work, everyone in the past has told me to remove the plenum chamber and the intake manifold...

Removed the plenum chamber first and had a look at the back, bit of a pain but managed to access the plugs and change them without removing the intake manifold... Saved a bit of time and hassle so for anyone else doing the job next time, keep that in mind :)

• 5 months later...

Just thought I'd let you all know the price of these plugs appears to have jumped. Made several phone calls, both Toyota spares and other mobs and they all wanted in the vicinity of around $34 per plug!

I therefore suggest if you need them, the denso ones are easy to find on ebay (part number FK20HR11) and can be delivered from the states for around $100 total. Loving this exchange rate.

Got my set coming!

Just thought I'd let you all know the price of these plugs appears to have jumped. Made several phone calls, both Toyota spares and other mobs and they all wanted in the vicinity of around $34 per plug!

I therefore suggest if you need them, the denso ones are easy to find on ebay (part number FK20HR11) and can be delivered from the states for around $100 total. Loving this exchange rate.

Got my set coming!

Are these the same plugs that the Aurion uses?

Got my set coming!

According to another post I read in this very thread they are. Further the ebay buyer I bought off lists them as suiting for the US Camry V6 engine 2GR-FE (or whatever our engine code is I forget)

Got my set coming!

According to another post I read in this very thread they are. Further the ebay buyer I bought off lists them as suiting for the US Camry V6 engine 2GR-FE (or whatever our engine code is I forget)

Ours is also 2GR-FE.