spark plug replacement

SCOOTA44

Definitely recommend SparkPlugAuto.com if you choose that route.

+1 (mine was only 10 days, guess the extra few cents I payed went to express shipping)

So I changed my spark plugs today. Was a bit late on the 90,000km service (I did everything but the spark plugs at 90k) however I figured the plugs have room for delay on that. The TRD is currently at 96,000km and I was expecting the spark plugs to be maybe a little more worn than what my Sportivo was like at 90,000km given the boosted nature of the TRD. However, I guess the Iridium's do live up to their reputation:

di-213096545496.jpg

I think next time I will change my spark plugs at least after 100,000km. In this case, I won't be changing them again until 200,000km so that will be 104,000km. I could probably go longer, but I don't really feel quite like it.

I've looked for the picture of your spark plug from the sportivo but can't find it. Would you be able to find that as well so we can view both spark plugs side by side? :).

I'll also be changing mine at 90,000km and at the same time will be changing the coolant fluid.

oh yeah, one more thing. you didn't tell us which spark plugs you used :P

... and at the same time will be changing the coolant fluid.

Bit soon in my opinion. I would stick to the scheduled 160,000km change as the coolant is still pristine at 90,000km. But it's you're money, and nothing is stopping your decisions.

oh yeah, one more thing. you didn't tell us which spark plugs you used :P

Denso of course.

I've looked for the picture of your spark plug from the sportivo but can't find it. Would you be able to find that as well so we can view both spark plugs side by side? :).

Seriously. It's on page 1. Sportivo (90k) vs. TRD (96k):

dsc05615b.jpgdi-213096545496.jpg

Thanks for that man. Sorry, I didn't even think of looking in this thread (for some reason) and started doing a search. The tips look almost identical, except the sportivo looks really rusted/burnt out.

The tips look almost identical, except the sportivo looks really rusted/burnt out.

Yeah. Must just be an accumulation of different deposits or variations in the combustion temperature etc. It's good to know though that the Iridium's hold up quite well even in boosted applications. Yeah the TRD may be relatively low boost, but typically you hear about plugs wearing faster in boosted situations.

Going to do this ,but with out pulling the chambers off,go via the wiper motor way at the back. Start to finish how long you recking it should take . Just wondering if I`ll do it on a week end before arvo or leave it till a day off and do a few extra jobs also like tyre rotation,oil change,wash.the list is endless

... but with out pulling the chambers off.

I'll shout you a 6-pack if you can take all the rear coil packs off without removing the intake plenum.

Haven`t looked at it yet,but spoke with a Maitland Toyota Mechanic when I was pricing parts and he said they dont ????? takes a bit longer but do able (he never said how long thats all :( ) Thanks ,now I`ll go and get the gaskets just incase now.

I'll shout you a 6-pack if you can take all the rear coil packs off without removing the intake plenum.

Am I eligible to enter?

f85785b6.jpg

Posting a Coles gift card is preferred ...

Am I eligible to enter?

Awww snap.

...now I`ll go and get the gaskets just incase now.

Well, you don't have to as you can see from the previous photo, but taking the plenum off makes things less frustrating. Not so much with the left most spark plug (when viewing from the front) because that can be removed after you remove the bracket visible in the photo, but the right most one as the wiring harness sits on top of the coil pack and you need to move it a little to allow the coil pack to come off. It's rather tight and may be frustrating to move when working on it blindly (it was frustrating for me even with no plenum in the way). For the cost of the gaskets ($10 x 3) which you only need to get every 90,000km, it certainly makes it worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

DJKOR Your right no way with removing that intake thanks for that advice..(Now I`ll PM for a bit more advice got another problem but Im hope you`ll be able to help more)

Was pretty easy otherwise

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so if anyone out there decides to take on the task of changing the spark plugs on their Aurion, then here are some pointers to get you going. Detailed instructions can be found in the service manuals but for those that just need an push in the right direction, these photos may help. Like with my DIY oil pipe guide, these following guide is written with the assumption that if you are taking on this task, you would be able to figure out how to take parts of the car apart (ie. you would know how to search for nuts and bolts that hold certain pieces of trim on the car).

Firstly, take the engine cover off and locate the intake surge tank (plenum) and the 4 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the front of it on:

dsc05578f.jpg

dsc05581i.jpg

Then remove the upper intake resonator and disconnect any hoses (vacuum lines and coolant lines for the throttle body) and electrical cables that are connected to the intake plenum and throttle body:

dsc05586l.jpg

Now before the intake plenum can come off, there are two more bolts holding it to the engine. These are located at the rear of the plenum. The one located on the right side (first photo) can be removed easily by entering in from where the upper resonator was. The one on the left though (second photo) is in a pretty tight space blocked by the brake fluid reservoir:

dsc05587u.jpg

dsc05588.jpg

If you can't figure out a way to remove the second bolt, then you will need to perform the following steps. Firstly remove your wipers and the plastic trim underneath it:

dsc05594.jpg

Then remove the wiper motor and undo all nuts and bolts holding the metal tray/trim in place. You will then be left with plenty of space to work with:

dsc05595.jpg

dsc05596k.jpg

dsc05597.jpg

From here, you can now remove that intake plenum:

dsc05602u.jpg

Then you just change your spark plugs as per normal, clean up around the intake etc (even clean the plenum out with throttle body cleaner because it will be dirty), put on some new intake plenum gaskets, and reverse the procedure.

I can follow your very detailed method but also read the Service Manual on Google Docs, Section EM-3 and they just say remove surge tank(Plenum chamber)then remove plugs, sounds so easy, LOL

Edited by julian040859

I can follow your very detailed method but also read the Service Manual on Google Docs, Section EM-3 and they just say remove surge tank(Plenum chamber)then remove plugs, sounds so easy, LOL

Yes, that's all you really need to do, however if you notice what I mentioned in my post:

... If you can't figure out a way to remove the second bolt, then you will need to perform the following steps. Firstly remove your wipers and the plastic trim underneath it.....

So if you can avoid removing the rest of the trim, then go for it.

I reckon if i do it myself I'll buy the plugs from the US for $100 and I'm definitely going for the less frustrating way, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to take off the wipers/cowl etc and from what your saying it gives heaps more room. My 90,000km service is due and I got a quote for $275 labour and $477 parts (gst inc) Total $754. The plugs were $257 (gst inc) making them $43 each. I think I might become a spark plug importer! There was no Plenum chamber gaskets itemised in quote so they either reuse old one if that is possible or don't remove it.

Edited by julian040859

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's all you really need to do, however if you notice what I mentioned in my post:

... If you can't figure out a way to remove the second bolt, then you will need to perform the following steps. Firstly remove your wipers and the plastic trim underneath it.....

So if you can avoid removing the rest of the trim, then go for it.

When you take off the Plenum Chamber does the gasket get partially stuck on and then when you put the new gaskets on do you put any goo on them or is it a clean easy job?

When you take off the Plenum Chamber does the gasket get partially stuck on and then when you put the new gaskets on do you put any goo on them or is it a clean easy job?

It's not unusual for the rubber gasket to stick to one side when you remove the plenum, so no need to panic. No gasket sealant is required as well due to the nature of the gasket itself.

My 90,000k is coming up in the next few months and I am concerned that if I go with Toyota it is going to cost me an arm and a leg but if I go somewhere else that they wont do it right or skimp.

I'm thinking of replacing the spark plugs me self (with a mechanic mates help, or rather I help him). Besides the Spark Plugs them selves what other parts like gaskets might I need and what are the part numbers? Thanks!

My 90,000k is coming up in the next few months and I am concerned that if I go with Toyota it is going to cost me an arm and a leg but if I go somewhere else that they wont do it right or skimp.

I'm thinking of replacing the spark plugs me self (with a mechanic mates help, or rather I help him). Besides the Spark Plugs them selves what other parts like gaskets might I need and what are the part numbers? Thanks!

Ask your dealership to give you a quote, they list all the parts you need , price etc, my quote was $750.

Hey Jeff. If you are just concerned about changing the spark plugs, all you need are the spark plugs and the gaskets.

17176-31040 GASKET, AIR SUR U306 x3 $11.60 (List Price), $9.57 (Unit Price)

That was back in January 2010 though.

My 90,000k is coming up in the next few months and I am concerned that if I go with Toyota it is going to cost me an arm and a leg but if I go somewhere else that they wont do it right or skimp. I'm thinking of replacing the spark plugs me self (with a mechanic mates help, or rather I help him). Besides the Spark Plugs them selves what other parts like gaskets might I need and what are the part numbers? Thanks!

Ask your dealership to give you a quote, they list all the parts you need , price etc, my quote was $750.

Smart thinking!!!

My 90,000k is coming up in the next few months and I am concerned that if I go with Toyota it is going to cost me an arm and a leg but if I go somewhere else that they wont do it right or skimp. I'm thinking of replacing the spark plugs me self (with a mechanic mates help, or rather I help him). Besides the Spark Plugs them selves what other parts like gaskets might I need and what are the part numbers? Thanks!

Hey Jeff. If you are just concerned about changing the spark plugs, all you need are the spark plugs and the gaskets.

Cheers DJKOR!

According to http://www.toyotapartszone.com this part was superseded by part 17176-0P020.

Toyota Part 17176-0P020

OEM Toyota GASKET, AIR SURGE TA

I tried using the search function new and old to find where someone had said something about aurions not having sparkplug leads, can someone kindly point me in the right direction? Had no luck with the search :blink:

According to http://www.toyotapartszone.com this part was superseded by part 17176-0P020.

Do note that even for parts that are basically teh same, American part number can vary from the Australian part numbers.

Have a look at these diagrams for example:

2007 Toyota Camry SE (USA): http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2007_TOYOTA_CAMRY_GSV40L-CETSKA_1701.html

2007 Toyota Aurion SX6 (Aus): http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_2007_TOYOTA_AURION_GSV40R-JETSKQ_1701.html

I tried using the search function new and old to find where someone had said something about aurions not having sparkplug leads, can someone kindly point me in the right direction? Had no luck with the search :blink:

Um... have you ever looked underneath your engine cover? That alone answers that question.

Edit: To save you from scrolling up or looking at your engine bay, here is a photo:

dsc05578f.jpg