spark plug replacement

SCOOTA44

• 2 months later...

I recieved my quote for 90,000km service including the spark plug replacement, the quote does not have a charge for Plenum Chamber gasket. Does that mean at Toyota Dealerships they don't take off the Chamber to get to the rear plugs or they do it but don't need to replace gasket?

I recieved my quote for 90,000km service including the spark plug replacement, the quote does not have a charge for Plenum Chamber gasket. Does that mean at Toyota Dealerships they don't take off the Chamber to get to the rear plugs or they do it but don't need to replace gasket?

Does anyone know the answer to the above question?

Edited by julian040859

Does anyone know the answer to the above question?

It means the repair manual requires it, but dealers aren't replacing non-reusable gaskets ...

• 3 months later...

Had a chat with my local dealer service manager, he said they do NOT need to remove the intake manifold to get to the rear bank of plugs. The job should be around 2.5 hours, and was going to cost around $270.

I'll have to do this soon! looks like a days work for me haha! I'll order the plugs from monkeywrech unless there's an Aussie place to buy the plugs cheaper than US?

Didn't look at page 3 did you? Try to build up a purchase for the spark plugs from MWR and look at the shipping cost.

Looks like the price of shipping on sparkplugauto.com has gone up to US$35.51 for 6 plugs. However, the shipping is US$41.22 for 12 plugs or 46.93 for 18 plugs.

Anyone want to join in and we can split the shipping?

Sorry mate, I read, but I was just under the influence there may be a non crooked distributor who doesn't rape 80% profits. The sparkies are so cheap overseas, espeacciy from the Summit racing. I find it amazing the profit of plugs in Australia. Especially taking in the fact Supacheap and Sprints etc have large shipping container discounts, consider they wouldn't pay shipping for say 1000+ plugs, guess business is business.

DJKOR how do you know it's time to change the plugs? the car starts no problems at all, almost instant, but there the same plugs 0 - 120,000k's

What Steven said. I reckon the plugs would probably last 150,000km in the 2GR-FE... even in the 2GR-FZE, but sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry because you never know if they won't last that long.

For the cost of them, I wouldn't exactly call the procedure expensive. If you change them at 100,000km intervals, you are looking at about $1 per 1000km for your spark plugs. Considering your oil filter works out to be around $1.33 per 1000km, that's not bad.

I just did mine at 93,000k and they looked fine. Having looked at them I would have been comfortable with going until 120,000k but you don't know until the inspect them all.

It took me and my brother just less than 2 hours to replace them and that includes him dropping a bolt and searching for it for 20 minutes.

Had a chat with my local dealer service manager, he said they do NOT need to remove the intake manifold to get to the rear bank of plugs. The job should be around 2.5 hours, and was going to cost around $270.

I'm not calling the service manager a liar but why would it take 2.5 hours if this if they don't need to take it apart?

Took less than 2 hours to do mine, including removing the plenum. Sounds like plenty of service centres don't bother to take it off at all, but I figured for the extra 60 seconds it takes to remove the screws, it was the quicker option than trying to work around it. For a service centre who does it all the time, I wouldn't think it'd take 2.5 hours. (Then again, my local dealer wanted to sting me an hours labour to replace the rear brake pads).

Here another brand to choose: Autolite APP5325 double Platinum spark plug

Here the catalogue: http://www.noelsauto...20Car%20Cat.pdf you will see it has Toyota Aurion 3.5V6.

Here you can purchase from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000PAM77O $3.86

Or the Bosch Platinum 4316 Spark Plug

Here: http://www.amazon.co...C?ie=UTF8&i=250 $6.45

Or the Bosch Platinum 4516 Spark Plug

Here: http://www.amazon.co...C?ie=UTF8&i=250 $7.67

Edited by Aurion ZR6

I'm not calling the service manager a liar but why would it take 2.5 hours if this if they don't need to take it apart?

No idea, that's the figure he gave out. I was trying to see if it would be cheaper to do it myself or get them to do it and I will supply the spark plugs to them.

I think I will have a crack at it this time.

Just purchased the Autolites XP5325 from Sparkplugs.com. $6.69 each.

We'll see when it arrives, really the shipping cost is only worth it when buying in bulk.

Fortunately I needed extra plugs for (IK31 @ $16 *Hiaks*) my other car so ordered that lot.

Here another brand to choose: Autolite APP5325 double Platinum spark plug

Here the catalogue: http://www.noelsauto...20Car%20Cat.pdf you will see it has Toyota Aurion 3.5V6.

Here you can purchase from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000PAM77O $3.86

^ This. You're looking at around $30 for the set.

I still don't see why the old one can't be reused though. When I did mine the old gaskets looked good as new. Looking at them, you wouldn't know they'd done 100,000kms, or any kms at all for that matter. Plus if people aren't even removing the plenum when changing the plugs, then they're gaskets aren't being replaced either.

(Disclaimer: this is NOT a recommendation to reuse the old gasket. I'm simply putting it up for discussion).

Just took me about 2 hrs to change all plugs. There's no need to remove the intake manifold.

Rears were a b.t.ch. clearence was an issue and fortunately I had different lengths socket extensions, so mixing and matching was required. There's actually no need to unclip the connectors to the coil pack and you'll need to remove a bracket to access the left most coil pack.

Good luck and I'm glad you only need to change plugs about every 100,000kays only.

Heh heh, I'd do this for $180 if anyone wants me to do this for them. Supply your own plugs. this will go to my superlap entry fund... :-p

No idea, that's the figure he gave out. I was trying to see if it would be cheaper to do it myself or get them to do it and I will supply the spark plugs to them.

I think I will have a crack at it this time.

I changed my plugs too yesterday, to take advantage of the good weather in Melbourne. Took me just over 2 hours to complete the job and put everything back together.

The hardest one to get to is the rear bank plug closest to the air filter; took me over an hour to do it.

I have found that un-clipping the bonnet from the struts and open it to the max will give addition room over the engine, as well as much easier access from the side to the rear bank plugs.

I’m just happy that I won’t have to do it again for another 100K kms.