spark plug replacement

SCOOTA44

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

Had my spark plugs changed at 70,000 klm.

Mechanic charged me 1 hours labour for the job..

I didn't think that was excessive?

Bigmike...

Not at all Big Mike. I hr is very reasonable. It probably saved you a lot of cursing and frustration so would be great value for anyone not wanting to DIY it.

My car has over 120K and still going on original plugs. No issues thus far. I'll pop one out this weekend and take a look and see how well it's fairing. I'll post up some pics when I do.

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I had mine replaced at 105k, my mechanic said they usually do 150k km easy. At 105k km the plugs looked  nearly new. 

Edited by Sleeperau1
change

My 2008 Aurion, approaching 200k on the odo, is still on the plugs swapped in at the 90k service, no issues. Check out toyotanation forum, in the US they're apparently serviced at 120k miles which is, what, 200k kms?

5 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

My 2008 Aurion, approaching 200k on the odo, is still on the plugs swapped in at the 90k service, no issues. Check out toyotanation forum, in the US they're apparently serviced at 120k miles which is, what, 200k kms?

That's awesome ! Not sure what brand they are from factory, but it's testament to quality.

If you've been charged 1hr labour for plugs, then I'd be considering the possibility the rears havnt been done. 

On the 40series at least, they are done at 150k. I just did the rears on mine, and was time consuming but not difficult

Edited by Metal_Head

3 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

If you've been charged 1hr labour for plugs, then I'd be considering the possibility the rears havnt been done. 

I doubt it. But anything is possible. I'd ask to see all my old plugs to check their condition. At least you will know all were replaced. 

How anyone could take money to replace all the plugs and only do the front would be a low act and if such a person has been found doing this, then they need to outed.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 9:24 PM, AurionX2 said:

Check out toyotanation forum, in the US they're apparently serviced at 120k miles which is, what, 200k kms?

As per page EG-97 of this pdf of the 2GR-FE,

" Long-reach type spark plugs are used. This type of spark plugs allow the area of the cylinder head toreceive the spark plugs to be made thick. Thus, the water jacket can be extended near the combustionchamber, which contributes to cooling performance.Iridium-tipped spark plugs are used to achieve a 120,000 miles (193,000 km) maintenance interval. Bymaking the center electrode of iridium, the superior ignition performance as platinum-tipped spark plugsis achieved and durability has been increased."

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/2GR-FE.pdf

7 hours ago, campbeam said:

As per page EG-97 of this pdf of the 2GR-FE,

" Long-reach type spark plugs are used. This type of spark plugs allow the area of the cylinder head toreceive the spark plugs to be made thick. Thus, the water jacket can be extended near the combustionchamber, which contributes to cooling performance.Iridium-tipped spark plugs are used to achieve a 120,000 miles (193,000 km) maintenance interval. Bymaking the center electrode of iridium, the superior ignition performance as platinum-tipped spark plugsis achieved and durability has been increased."

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/2GR-FE.pdf

Given this info, it would then be prudent to keep your original plugs,if you decided to change them prematurely that it.  I hope you guys who replaced them at 70 or 80K still have them as they are still good for another 100K it seems. These Iridium tipped plugs are super high quality and the degree of difficulty in having to do them either once or never during your ownership makes for a good arguement against doing them too early according to PDF.

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, it’s completely workable. I did my 6 plugs without removing the intake manifold. But have to remove wiper cowl plenum, pretty simple. In short, the front 3 are easy and straight forward, 15 min job. The back three, took me 2.5 hrs, as was 1st time and I had to make sure all the things pulled off back exactly the way they were. The rear center one and driver side one are easy, but the passenger side one took me longer to undo. Find yourself a good mat that lay one the engine bay and so u can lay onto it. A handable mirror and a torch be handy to inspect. The tools are as what u see from the UTube videos. All working and $1,000 saved. Plus, mine is 2011 Toyota Aurion, 2GR FE, done 190,000, km, once I got it was 100,000, as I found out the pre owner done it as 6 plugs are Denso and mine putting it are NGK, only costs $130. Yes, u can do it. Be patient and have fun. Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2022 at 7:03 PM, robinz said:

Hi guys, it’s completely workable. I did my 6 plugs without removing the intake manifold. But have to remove wiper cowl plenum, pretty simple. In short, the front 3 are easy and straight forward, 15 min job. The back three, took me 2.5 hrs, as was 1st time and I had to make sure all the things pulled off back exactly the way they were. The rear center one and driver side one are easy, but the passenger side one took me longer to undo. Find yourself a good mat that lay one the engine bay and so u can lay onto it. A handable mirror and a torch be handy to inspect. The tools are as what u see from the UTube videos. All working and $1,000 saved. Plus, mine is 2011 Toyota Aurion, 2GR FE, done 190,000, km, once I got it was 100,000, as I found out the pre owner done it as 6 plugs are Denso and mine putting it are NGK, only costs $130. Yes, u can do it. Be patient and have fun. Cheers

I remembered this post and did the same using a number of folded up towels to lay on top of the engine when doing that last rear plug.

2nd time for me and went smoothly enough. Missed connecting a vacuum hose to the brake booster and the wiper wiring connector so room for improvement.