Parking Brake on Kluger

kc & sunshine

Hi,

Just like to know if others have experience the following;

1. Car stopped at parking spot, flat ground.

2. Foot on the foot brake and the parking Brake.

3. Foot off foot brake.

4. Then foot off parking brake (pressed fully to floor).

At this instance I experienced the car move a little forward :huh: .

I always, without fail, whenever im parking the car , be it sloping or flat, put it in neutral first then apply the hand/footbrake then, take my foot off the driving brake & let the footbrake take the weight then put it in Park.

Using this method stopped the crunching noise from the gearbox whenever I shifted into drive from park. Especially on a slope.

This way I noticed the footbrake properly takes the weight of the car & not the gearbox.

I never use the gearbox to hold the weight of the car.

Having owned both old & new model klugers , this works for me.

If your car moves after putting it in neutral & applying the footbrake get it checked.

Whenever the missus drives the car I get the crunch if if Im on a slope when I take the car somewhere.

I took this advice from some guy years ago on the footbrake topic.

Edited by luvthekluges

The park brake is pretty poor, i can pin it to the floor, and still it will roll down my driveway, i have no choice but to hold the car in P otherwise it will literally roll away, toyota claim agian this is normal...

I say they should take apart the park brake on the vz commodore and see how it actually works, that one could lock the rear wheels up even half pulled up(easily!)

The park brake is pretty poor, i can pin it to the floor, and still it will roll down my driveway, i have no choice but to hold the car in P otherwise it will literally roll away, toyota claim agian this is normal...

Same with my 2008 Kluger. Bought it used, 1 year old, it had just been serviced and the parking brake wouldn't hold on even the smallest of slopes. At a recent service (non-Toyota) they pulled the rear calipers off, cleaned and adjusted everything. It is now much better, but still won't hold on my driveway which is not hugely steep. Clearly a poor design. I've driven other cars which are just as heavy or heavier and the hand brake holds them without problem.

Ken.

I always, without fail, whenever im parking the car , be it sloping or flat, put it in neutral first then apply the hand/footbrake then, take my foot off the driving brake & let the footbrake take the weight then put it in Park.

Using this method stopped the crunching noise from the gearbox whenever I shifted into drive from park. Especially on a slope.

This way I noticed the footbrake properly takes the weight of the car & not the gearbox.

I never use the gearbox to hold the weight of the car.

Having owned both old & new model klugers , this works for me.

If your car moves after putting it in neutral & applying the footbrake get it checked.

Whenever the missus drives the car I get the crunch if if Im on a slope when I take the car somewhere.

I took this advice from some guy years ago on the footbrake topic.

Freaks me out to hear that most of us have this issue. I will give your suggestion a go luvthekluges, next time I park. Do you know of any long term effect for using Park gear to hold the car (especially a 2tn car)?

Hey rolla boy, maybe we can bring our cars around to have them adjusted. Its is just like any other profession, some, you, may do it great, but most will do an average job and therefore when it is poor in the first place, it just exagerates everything. If it was a poor alignment of a good park brake, it wouldnt matter as it would still be ok, but yeah, hopefully the gearbox doesnt damage because of it.

Freaks me out to hear that most of us have this issue. I will give your suggestion a go luvthekluges, next time I park. Do you know of any long term effect for using Park gear to hold the car (especially a 2tn car)?

Mate , thats what the bloody footbrake/handbrake was invented for, to take the weight of the vehicle..

If your brake isnt taking the weight they must be able to adjust it to the standard of my footbrake for example or one of the other klugers that goes through the workshop.

This to me is a serious issue Toyota need to address & is not acceptable whatsoever.

Especially the weight of the new Kluges. Its not a friggin suzuki swift.

Personally I would kick up a stink & demand they fix the problem.

I even read people accepting it as a design fault like it cant ever be fixed.......,crap!

They are either too dumb or too friggin lazy to fix it. Or both,

To all Toyota dealerships & mechanics, you have other klugers like mine whos footbrake works perfectly fine stop acting like its something that cant be fixed because it can be.

Make them fix it

Like I said, everything has been replaced on mine, shoes, cable etc and it has been adjusted sooo many times by the dealer I have lost count. Also had it adjusted by my own mechanic at least twice.

Toyota Aust did come to my home to inspect the steepness of my driveway, (it's not that steep) every other car I know holds on it easily. Unfortunately I was away when Toyota came and couldn't find out any result, probably filed in the 'too hard, don't really care Toyota basket.'

This is my first Toyota and if my particular car is anything to go on, Toyota quality has slipped badly.

Would I buy another Toyota after my experience with a $65k Kluger, probably not. Love the car, hate the numerous problems with it.

The proper way to adjust the handbrake is to back off the two 10mm nuts all the way to the end of the cable first... Remove the lock nut and unwind the other one to the end of the cable but so it still stays on...

Remove the rear wheels and lock up the handbrake shoes... Then back them off about 4 clicks till the discs move freely... Put the wheels back on and put the car back on the ground...

Then adjust up the cable as necessary...

They don't hold as well as other cars but they do hold when adjusted correctly...