'93 Camry... issues with unlocking manually with key

Pesca

Hi all,

I’m having a big problem related to the locking and unlocking of my doors.

I recently bought a ’93 Camry Vienta Ultima which I’m loving, except for a big issue I’m having now regarding the unlocking/locking of the doors from the outside manually.

Up until three days ago I had only used the remote keyless entry for unlocking/locking the car (old style with the button built into the head of the key), then I started noticing once in a while it wouldn’t lock/unlock 100% of the time, however If I actually press the button while the key is actually stucking in the door lock (without turning), then it would work all the time with no glitch. That irked me a bit, but it was something I could live with. I thought hey, as long as unlocking and locking manually from the outside works, then that’s all I care about. The master key is the only key I have for it by the way.

So the other day I decide to get just a plain copy of the key made for my wife, only to find out that neither key will unlock the passenger door or driver side door manually . I can turn the key in the door clockwise to lock it just fine, but the key will not turn the lock counter-clockwise to unlock it. And this doesn’t work on either door.

Would this be something as simple as a worn key (since it would seem both door lock cylinders being stuffed would be too much of a coincidence) or is there some other possible explanation? The key doesn’t look very worn at all and it works fine in the ignition, yet I can’t get the door to unlock on either door (yet the remote seems to unlock the doors fine 99% of the time). The key will only lock the door from the unlocked position.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Loungefly

Your camry should have 2 keys, one of them will only work in the ignition.

Possibly your actuators could be dieing? I had a similar problem in my old 94 camry, was fixed after i got those replaced (a good $100-150 from alberts)

Your camry should have 2 keys, one of them will only work in the ignition.

Possibly your actuators could be dieing? I had a similar problem in my old 94 camry, was fixed after i got those replaced (a good $100-150 from alberts)

Yep, I realise it should have 2 keys, but as i mentioned above, I only have the master key for it (I never received a subkey for it when I bought it -I'm assuming the seller lost it). From what I understand the master key that I have (which has the remote button in the head of the key itself) is supposed to manually open every lock - ignition, doors, glovebox, boot, whereas the subkey should open everything except the boot and the glovebox.

Hmm, I'll look into the actuators. Thanks :)

In the meantime, anyone else have any idea what might be causing the problem? Anyone?

:)

Edited by Loungefly

Its likely not the actuators, in the Gen 3's the linkages in the door get a bit sticky, u need to pull the trim off and get some oil or lubricant down there. Ive had this problem lately

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have struck this problem before being a locksmith, it could be other problems but I think you may find that the most common problem is that the key is cut too deep. The key should be cut back to factory specs and it should get rid of the problem. That would be the 1st thing I try. Another thing that can go wrong is on alot of models I think starting around that time, Toyota started putting what is called split wafers in the locks. The reason for this is if an object such as a screw driver or wrong key is put in, it is meant to throw the split wafers out of alignment causing the lock to be securely locked, but disabled. If that is the case the only thing you can do is take it to a locksmith to get the split wafers realigned or taken out ll together....

Hi,

I have struck this problem before being a locksmith, it could be other problems but I think you may find that the most common problem is that the key is cut too deep. The key should be cut back to factory specs and it should get rid of the problem. That would be the 1st thing I try. Another thing that can go wrong is on alot of models I think starting around that time, Toyota started putting what is called split wafers in the locks. The reason for this is if an object such as a screw driver or wrong key is put in, it is meant to throw the split wafers out of alignment causing the lock to be securely locked, but disabled. If that is the case the only thing you can do is take it to a locksmith to get the split wafers realigned or taken out ll together....

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I’m having a big problem related to the locking and unlocking of my doors.

I recently bought a ’93 Camry Vienta Ultima which I’m loving, except for a big issue I’m having now regarding the unlocking/locking of the doors from the outside manually.

Up until three days ago I had only used the remote keyless entry for unlocking/locking the car (old style with the button built into the head of the key), then I started noticing once in a while it wouldn’t lock/unlock 100% of the time, however If I actually press the button while the key is actually stucking in the door lock (without turning), then it would work all the time with no glitch. That irked me a bit, but it was something I could live with. I thought hey, as long as unlocking and locking manually from the outside works, then that’s all I care about. The master key is the only key I have for it by the way.

So the other day I decide to get just a plain copy of the key made for my wife, only to find out that neither key will unlock the passenger door or driver side door manually . I can turn the key in the door clockwise to lock it just fine, but the key will not turn the lock counter-clockwise to unlock it. And this doesn’t work on either door.

Would this be something as simple as a worn key (since it would seem both door lock cylinders being stuffed would be too much of a coincidence) or is there some other possible explanation? The key doesn’t look very worn at all and it works fine in the ignition, yet I can’t get the door to unlock on either door (yet the remote seems to unlock the doors fine 99% of the time). The key will only lock the door from the unlocked position.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I realise this is an old thread but did you sought out the key problem? I have recently bought a 1993 Camry Vienta Ultima too and only have the one key with remote built in.

It too work most of the time but sometimes is a little dodgy. I suspect it is the micro switch in the remote.

I am trying to locate another remote to use.

Can you program Key fob for this model Camry?