Problem....Toyota Avalon 1MZ FE

gttx

Guys need some technical input. I have a 71000km Toyota Avalon 2004 with 3ltr 1MZ FE engine. The car was giving jerks (sort of leapt forwards) when accelerating at very low RPM and worsens when on an incline.

Took it to a few mechanics who all suggested changing the plugs and wires. After spending $350 on having both replaced the vehicle still continues its jerky behavior. Will take it back to the mechanic.

Any suggestion on what the problem is ?

• 7 years later...

Hello All

I know this is an old thread guys and gals but I thought it may be worth asking if you found a solution to this issue.

I have the same symptoms with my Avalon GXi 2004..

It feels like a fuel surge issue at low speed, it surges but the engine is fine holding high revs for long periods.. eg. driving on the motorway at 5000RPM in second it doesn't die which would indicate it's not a fuel volume issue but maybe pressure..

the car also lacks torque.  You really have to accelerate hard to maintain speed on the open road. Also using the cruise control it bounces up and down through the gears a lot to maintain speed..

I was going to begin investigating it as a fuel pressure issue or possibly vacuum leak  issue.

Looking at the colour of the spark plugs it does appear to run lean, but it's not burning plugs, pinging or getting hot..

You really should have posted a new topic since the OP hasn't logged on since 2009.

Since we are here now, when was the last time the fuel filter or fuel pump screen were replaced? It is also possible that the fuel pump could be failing as the problem sounds to be load dependant.

If the transmission is bouncing around, it probably needs a flush and oil/filter change. The whole issue may even be related to this.

Thanks for the response Trent..

As I've only recently taken ownership of the car and it does not have any service manual or history with it I really don't have a clear picture of it's service history.. But by the state of a few obvious things like engine oil, gearbox oil, brake fluid it has not been well maintained..

I'm starting on the above and more..

Thanks again