Aftermarket GPS - Where did you mount yours?

BigBad64

I got a TomTom XL340 GPS for the Kluger for Christmas and am wondering where people have mounted theirs? Has anyone put them anywhere other than on the windscreen? (Thinking about theft prevention and ease of removal - ours will be in the glovebox a fair bit when just around home)

Has anyone tried out these "Dashboard Bean Bag Mounts"?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories...sory.php?ID=855

If so, do they work OK on the Kluger dashboard?

Nice score! Better than my Christmas haul :lol: How much easier removal would you get than the built-in suction cap? My Navigator lives in the glovebox 99% of the time and it only takes only a coupe of seconds to put on and off the windscreen when required.

I always make sure to wipe off any tell-tale marks from the glass if I have to park anywhere dodgy.

Cheers

Edited by holmesie

• 2 weeks later...

We took our Tom Tom to the USA and I used a big blob of Blu Tack to stick it to the dash which worked well. Some states (California for one) don't allow anything to be stuck to the window. In Australia, I use a suction mount on the windscreen.

Nice score! Better than my Christmas haul :lol: How much easier removal would you get than the built-in suction cap? My Navigator lives in the glovebox 99% of the time and it only takes only a coupe of seconds to put on and off the windscreen when required.

I always make sure to wipe off any tell-tale marks from the glass if I have to park anywhere dodgy.

Cheers

I agree with Holmesie. My tomtom lives in the glovebox too most of the time until I go somewhere I am not familiar with. I usually put the tomtom directly underneath the rear mirror but just above the dashboard.

After a bit of travelling I've decided to just use the windscreen mount as well. For the amount we use it that works fine.

I bought a TomTom travel case and keep everything together in that in the glove box most of the time.

When using the unit I mount it on the far right bottom of the windscreen so the driver can see it at a glance without moving their head and it doesn't interfere with visibility of the road at all.

In this position the charging cord goes nicely down the dashboard to the right of the instrument cluster, across the top of the steering column and down to the cigarette lighter socket in the alcove in front of the "T-Bar" auto shifter. The excess cord curls up in the alcove for a fairly neat setup.

After a bit of travelling I've decided to just use the windscreen mount as well. For the amount we use it that works fine.

I bought a TomTom travel case and keep everything together in that in the glove box most of the time.

When using the unit I mount it on the far right bottom of the windscreen so the driver can see it at a glance without moving their head and it doesn't interfere with visibility of the road at all.

In this position the charging cord goes nicely down the dashboard to the right of the instrument cluster, across the top of the steering column and down to the cigarette lighter socket in the alcove in front of the "T-Bar" auto shifter. The excess cord curls up in the alcove for a fairly neat setup.

I mount mine in the same location, and had an additional 12volt outlet fitted under the dash so I don't have cables running everywhere.

• Like 1

Here is my alternative solution to a windscreen mounted GPS.

• I used some plywood and cut out a shape that would fit into the recess under the radio on my KX-R.
  • It is self supporting and needs no form of fasterner.
  • The timber holder is painted matt black and blends in beautifully with the dash and stays there permanently.
  • It is extrememly hard to see the bracket through the window, and almost looks like a phone mount.
  • I simply unclip the GPS when not in use.
  • I used the windscreen mount and drilled two holes in it to fix it on the timber holder.
  • I also shortened the 12v cable by pulling apart the end, cutting the wires shorter and reassembling.
  • I used foam padding (from bunnings) to along the to top of the shelf to form a neat fit on the inner top edge of holder (see pics).

My wife can rotate the GPS and comfortably view and use it from passengers seat. The kids can also view from rear seats. I threw this together as a rough prototype of a better built holder, but frankly I've been more than happy with it and haven't given a new version a second thought. I also made a similar holder for my father-in-law for his Mazda tribute, but the position in his car was very low and not ideal.

My GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 760.

post-12445-1262770824_thumb.jpg

post-12445-1262770842_thumb.jpg

post-12445-1262770865_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadonbike

• 3 years later...

Hi guys I am new member as of tonight need some assistance with Kluger 2009 in dash Tom Tom as screen died today and can no longer use phone options such as hands free and contacts list,I am happy to buy another external GPS but need the in dash to work for phone access any ideas??