heat coming from the area of the gear selector?

private number

So today i was driving and i decided to put my hand at the bottom of the gear knob stick but further down near the "L" gear (if that doesnt make sense, then my hand was just below the "L" gear. anyway i noticed it was a bit hot to touch, and if i kept my hand there for a minute or so it became real hot to touch.

Is this normal? ive only noticed this for the past month or so.

Edited by private number

Yeah i checked the transmission fluid and also brake fluids, engine oil and coolant just incase while i was there and everything is fine. I have also been noticing a decrease of acceleration power at the wheels but not to much though enough for me to notice so maybe this has something to do with it. Im coming up to me 85k annual service in about 4000km as well

EDIT; after just looking at my engine bay i did not check transmission fluid but i checked everything else. where can i check for the transmission fluid? i couldnt seem to locate it. and aswell i noticed just then on a quiet night...when i turned the ignition to "on" but didnt start the car i hard a buzzing noise coming from somewhere near the actual engine. the buzzing noise was similar too, but not as loud as a big power cable noise (like if you stood underneath them big power lines that go from one side of the city to another)

Edited by private number

So today i was driving and i decided to put my hand at the bottom of the gear knob stick but further down near the "L" gear (if that doesnt make sense, then my hand was just below the "L" gear. anyway i noticed it was a bit hot to touch, and if i kept my hand there for a minute or so it became real hot to touch.

Is this normal? ive only noticed this for the past month or so.

This question followed my your next post isn't making much sense to me. From reading this above question, it would seem the heat you are talking about heat originating from the gear selector. If you have any heat from there, it would have nothing to do with an overheating transmission.

Out of curiosity, have you only noticed this at night when your lights are on?

thats it DJKOR, should reword the question. didnt know how to word it correctly. but you are right, its heat originating from the gear selector

And to be honest with you, im not to sure. ive only felt it at night off memory so i couldnt really answer that question for you just yet. In the new year, i will definietly feel it during the daytime without the lights off.

As long as you only feel this heat then your lights are on, then there is a definite answer for you.

The heat you feel is generated by a bulb. Your gear selector is different, but you will find there is a bulb around the same area. The issue you are getting is described here:

Heat from centre console when in sports mode?

hmm interesting read. but i noticed the heat even when the AC is off and i dont have a "sports mode" either but i shall look into the lights being turned on being an issue and report back. thanks for that DJKOR

anyone else have any suggestions?

Edited by private number

hmm interesting read. but i noticed the heat even when the AC is off and i dont have a "sports mode" either ...

I did say I know yours is different, but there is one thing in common...

.... the bulb is in the same area.

There is nothing else in that area that can generate heat except of electrical wires if they were to burn out... but in that unlikely scenario, this would be a damaging effect and would only happen once.

Hey djkor, i drove around doing erins abit today and didnt notice any heat at all coming from the lower part of the gear selector, mind you its a 38+ degree day and i had the AC going, but any heat from that area would otherwise be noticeable.

thanks for clearing that all up for me