Fly Audio GPS DVD Install

Hado

The instructions provided by Fly Audio on their website are reasonable, so please read these in addition to this post.

Fly Audio E7548NAVI

I will try to highlight any differences for the Kluger. This is an install on a KXS model.

The install takes about 2.5 hours - maybe faster now you don't have to work some of the steps out by yourself.

post-14696-1263379192_thumb.jpg

BEFORE

post-14696-1263379327_thumb.jpg

AFTER

post-14696-1263378326_thumb.jpg

TOOLS

Here are the tools I used - the pry tools are important - the towel is to protect the centre console.

You should already have a 10mm socket with an extension and screwdrivers. (Note - no tools for electrical connections.) :D

I have already installed the hazard switch assembly which is bought separately into the fly audio unit.

post-14696-1263380007_thumb.jpg

REMOVE CLIMATE CONTROL

You need the nylon pry bars and just keep working the dash panels on the side apart until the whole unit disengages form the dash.

post-14696-1263380218_thumb.jpg

You also need to have the gear lever in drive to remove the climate control unit.

post-14696-1263380386_thumb.jpg

Remove the electrical connection/plugs for the climate control and take out the unit.

post-14696-1263380656_thumb.jpg

REMOVE VENTS

The vents take a fair bit of steady firm prying to disengage them from the dash.

post-14696-1263380884_thumb.jpg

REMOVE OEM STEREO

Use the 10mm socket drive to remove the four bolts holding in the OEM unit.

post-14696-1263381053_thumb.jpg

The trip computer screen comes out with the stereo unit.

post-14696-1263381226_thumb.jpg

Note and remove the connections on the rear. There were two coaxial aerial connections, but only the larger one was connected to the stereo. :huh:

post-14696-1263381711_thumb.jpg

Note the old towel covering the gear lever and centre console.

post-14696-1263381829_thumb.jpg

Note the three connectors left - the old stereo surround has a splitter from the separate hazard and seatbelt warning light and leaves only one plug which reconnects to the new hazard switch assembly.

post-14696-1263382064_thumb.jpg

REMOVE BRACKET

Unscrew the bracket - note the extra tabs on the side of the bracket which are used to hold steady the old stereo surround - these need to be removed once the bracket is screwed onto the fly audio unit. Just repeatedly bend and fatigue the metal to break them off. (This step is not in the Fly Audio guide).

post-14696-1263382581_thumb.jpg

TEST ALL THE NEW ADAPTORS

Plug in all the supplied adaptors so you know where they go. (I didn't use them all because I don't intend to install a separate CD stacker - its not needed once you have the iPod function.)

Remove the travel screws in the new unit and reattach the bracket including the trip computer screen.

post-14696-1263383330_thumb.jpg

CONNECT THE NEW UNIT

Connect the supplied adaptors to the harness and the hazard switch assembly.

The GPS aerial (blue plug) is magnetic and just sits on top of the trip computer screen - the plastic dash doesn't interfere with the signal.

Don't forget the phone mic (like I did :( ) just leave it hanging down in the drivers side footwell for installation later.

post-14696-1263386123_thumb.jpg

Run the iPod and Aux cables from the glove box into the back of the new unit.

post-14696-1263383808_thumb.jpg

TEST THE UNIT

Test the unit before reinstalling dash panels etc.

I asked my eight-year-old daughter to get me a DVD to test - she got Lilo & Stich. :)

post-14696-1263385112_thumb.jpg

I also tested the radio works to make sure the aerial was connected.

post-14696-1263385247_thumb.jpg

INSTALL PHONE MIC

Run the microphone wire through the gap between the upper and lower dash panels and up the door rubber to the top of the front pillar cover.

post-14696-1263385534_thumb.jpg

That's it - all done - simple really - just plug and play. ;)

Feel free to ask questions if I have missed anything.

Kind regards

Hado

post-14696-1263384648_thumb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the install info Hado, very informative and great photos too.

I agree with Kesawi though - the microphone does look big. How does it look if you take the foam cover off? Does it use a standard 3.5mm mic?

Gutsy effort though and thanks for sharing!

Great write up.

That microphone looks huge!

Did you hook up the reverse camera?

I think it is just due to the perspective of the photo - but I have removed the foam cover and it is just a normal mic.

No I still haven't hooked up the reverse camera to the larger screen. I think I would need an auto electricians help to find the correct wires - the Fly Audio guide doesn't seem to match our install for this bit. Maybe because this is the 7500 series.

I have been focused on getting the music right for the iPod and the software working for the GPS functions.

Good write up!

Surprising that it doesn't have a "proper" ipod connector?

I does have a proper iPod connector. I am running an old first gen 4GB Nano from it.

Here is a better photo.

post-14696-1263467897_thumb.jpg

It also has the AUX player connector (red/white/yellow RCA) and a USB connector.

I haven't tried an auxiliary player - but I have tried a USB stick/drive which works fine. The AUX option runs like a computer folder menu - the iPod is much more integrated - showing song title, artist and album. It is also searchable by these tags and runs playlists just like an iPod does.

I'd like to try a portable USB disk drive - one that doesn't need a separate power cord - to see if I can get a lot more storage for DVD rips - DivX movies etc..

Thanks for that - couldn't see it in the original pics!

Not sure how a portable hard drive will go in the car - the vibrations/potholes etc.. might cause problems.

So you think the Flyaudio is a good upgrade from the standard KX-S unit? It was about $1,000?

Have you found out if the Bluetooth works better than the standard one?

Hi mate,

Do you have any longer distance shots? Like an overall look at the entire cabin taken from, say, the back seats? Just want to get a feel for the overall ambience.

Cheers mate

Great write up by the way. Will hopefully be using this in the near future :)

Edited by Dharma

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate,

Just a quick question if you remember.

Does the Nav you bought require a VSS speed sense wire connection? If so do you remember what loom it was in when you used the adapter plug?

I know it's a little thing to remember, but the only other location is behind the instrument cluster.

Regards,

Dave

Hado wrote: I have already installed the hazard switch assembly which is bought separately into the fly audio unit.

Hi, You said that you bought the switch seperately. Can you please tell me where you got it? I have installed the Sat nav unit on Ebay but the hazzard warning lights and passenger seatbelt warning lights are round on my model. Toyota cannot supply me with the button, so if you can let me know where to get it, I would be very grateful. Thanks, Paul. - Great run down of how to install it. It really helped me!!! Thanks!! :)

this is the part I need, sorry bmp doesnt work, let me try it as a jpeg.

Kluger_sat_nav.bmp

post-17834-1266895105_thumb.jpg

Edited by PDHSolar

Hado wrote: I have already installed the hazard switch assembly which is bought separately into the fly audio unit.

Hi, You said that you bought the switch seperately. Can you please tell me where you got it? I have installed the Sat nav unit on Ebay but the hazzard warning lights and passenger seatbelt warning lights are round on my model. Toyota cannot supply me with the button, so if you can let me know where to get it, I would be very grateful. Thanks, Paul. - Great run down of how to install it. It really helped me!!! Thanks!! :)

this is the part I need, sorry bmp doesnt work, let me try it as a jpeg.

Hi PDHSolar

Ask your dealer for this item no 8401048340C0 , also can you tell us how much you paid for the unit and from which ebay seller .

Regrads

Huma

Edited by Huma

Hi PDHSolar

Ask your dealer for this item no 8401048340C0 , also can you tell us how much you paid for the unit and from which ebay seller .

Regrads

Huma

Thanks for that.

I bought this one (but added $100 for TV) from Ebay:

8" LCD DVD GPS PLAYER FOR TOYOTA HIGHLANDER KLUGER

GPS NAVIGATION+MAP, AUX-IN, BLUETOOTH SD USB MP3 FM

Winning bid: AU $480.00

+ Postage: AU $69.99

Seller info

pay_per_view ( 58200) 98.6% Positive feedback

It took 3 weeks to arrive from HONG KONG - Even though it says QLD on the listing. However, the item is great, good sound and picture quality. I am happy with it. Toyota wanted $3,000 + for the factory one! - The car looks much better and is like Grande inside now. Cheers, :)

Thanks for that.

Seller info

It took 3 weeks to arrive from HONG KONG - Even though it says QLD on the listing. However, the item is great, good sound and picture quality. I am happy with it. Toyota wanted $3,000 + for the factory one! - The car looks much better and is like Grande inside now. Cheers, :)

It looks nice.

Does it have IPod integration?

Cheers

Thanks for that.

Seller info

It looks nice.

Does it have IPod integration?

Cheers

Hi, the unit has broken already !!!! - The DVD and CD no longer works!!!

It does have an i-pod connection but I havent tried it as I dont have an Ipod. I contacted the company today (Pay-per-view) and am awaiting a reply. Lets see if they replce it under warranty. i iwll let you all know. I'm starting to think that I should have paid more for the FLY audio unit (maybe its better quality???) Will keep you guys updated so no-one else gets ripped off. :)

Hado,

Why did you add a microphone when there is already one installed in the light assembly in the roof between the driver and passenger?

Is it possible to connect the rear vision camera that currently exists in the KX-S to the 8" screen rather than the pitiful 3.5" screen?

How do you find the performance of the unit now that you've had it installed for a little while?

Would you do anything different?

Did you buy this online and if so from where?

Interested in your reply,

Whofan

• 3 weeks later...

The DVD player / CD player will still not work. All of the connections on the cables have been checked but it still wont work. The company that I bought it from PAY_PER_VIEW is no longer advertising these on Ebay. they have asked me to send it back to CHINA!! so they can inspect/repair/replace.

I am sending it back today buy am very concerned that I will never hear from them again. I've raised a PAYPAL claim, but my car now has a big hole in the dash. Does anyone know where I can buy a FLY unit from and are they reliable???

The DVD player / CD player will still not work. All of the connections on the cables have been checked but it still wont work. The company that I bought it from PAY_PER_VIEW is no longer advertising these on Ebay. they have asked me to send it back to CHINA!! so they can inspect/repair/replace.

I am sending it back today buy am very concerned that I will never hear from them again. I've raised a PAYPAL claim, but my car now has a big hole in the dash. Does anyone know where I can buy a FLY unit from and are they reliable???

I'm sort of doing the same hunt, just not yet applying myself.

I sent an email to FlyAudio in China asking for an Australian distributor of their products, they gave me the following details:

VMS AUSTRALIA

2/84-90 Lakewood Blvd

Braeside Victoria 3195

Tel: 03 9017 5568

Fax: 03 9587 8047

www.vms4x4.com

I called them and asked for a retailer/installer near me and they gave the details for Prestiege Sunroofs, I called them and the bloke I spoke to didn't seem to know about the FlyAudio E7548NAVI, he took down my details and said he'd call back, that has not happened, sort of lowers my opinion of this mob.

So I'm still hunting. I'd suggest you call the number above tell them you're after a retailer and give them your suburb they'll put you in contact with one or more companies. Just remember that VMS is the importer distributor and not a retailer/installer.

I hope that helps. If you find a retailer and you go ahead with the purchase/install I'd be very keen to learn how this went for you.

Hi ,

I am George the supplier of the Kluger system to HADO

I became a member today so as I can give my products with a discount to members of the toyota club

Our company Easy Park Australia is the importer of these units

We can supply and Fit in SYDNEY & Melbourne

Regards

George

What is incredible with these units is that none appear to be able to do bluetooth phonebook (for making calls via name, displaying name and number of incoming calls etc).

When even $200-300 portable gps units have this features it is a serious oversight in such expensive units.

Anyway guess see what the future holds:)

Edited by wilsact

What is incredible with these units is that none appear to be able to do bluetooth phonebook (for making calls via name, displaying name and number of incoming calls etc).

When even $200-300 portable gps units have this features it is a serious oversight in such expensive units.

Hi ,

Actually next month the new upgrade for this model will include Bluetooth phonebook

Thanks

George

I'm pretty usre this unit supports downloading and displaying of your phone's phonebook, happy to be proven wrong by others (plugnplay?)

Have a look at the link here it shows the features:

http://www.flyaudio.us/7500-series/53-for-...ander-e7548navi

I'm pretty usre this unit supports downloading and displaying of your phone's phonebook, happy to be proven wrong by others (plugnplay?)

Have a look at the link here it shows the features:

http://www.flyaudio.us/7500-series/53-for-...ander-e7548navi

Hi ,

yes this has been made available for the overseas market but we in Australia will receive in April next Month

Regards

George