Just how much is too good of a drive with BP ulimate?

Wixy

Hi Hi,

Long story short, got a 02 SXV20R Advantage, nothing special. Been using Vpower all its lifetime from 55,000kms. Using it not for the ****y "nitro, fully sick factor", but just peace of mind - though i do know that ron98 fuel on normal NA cars is not worth the extra 10-13cents, but somehow i still use it (makes me question my logic really) , but UNTIL NOW some pretty strange figures have popped up with the switched to BP Ulty from 91,000kms to present (102,650kms)

Vpower

Fuel figures were approx 9.6-10.1L/100km

BP Ulty

Fuel figures are currently 8.5-8.9ishL/100km

not a huge drop, but a big one considering camry's are so heavy, only 2.2L 4cylinder, and the way i've been driving them is very sprinted (losing the patience factor in traffic), and 50% of the time i have 2 or more passengers. wheel size is 16'.

Great example of yesterday at the pump:

507kms and filled up with 44.82L = 8.84L/100km

Those 507kms were very aggressive driving, with 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd screaming from 4-7rpm and constant kangaroos. Only did that because I wanted to really test my mileage figures.

Definitely not complaining here, just sharing my use of BP Ulty with u guys, cuz coming from 10.1 with vpower to mid 8's is crazy for an engine thats punching above its weight.

maybe bp's "get up to 44kms more per tank" is coming into effect? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I could say the same for BP Ultimate... I get less mileage with that than V Power.

Moreso, I have a different engine to yours... never thought 4 cylinder engines liked 98 octane in the first place? They normally run rich and get heaps of fuel smell from the back (had a friend use it on his Camry on a car cruise and all I could smell was fkin FUEL)

You might find that it runs better in a 5SFE compared a a 3VZ or 1MZ? Not sure... interesting result though.

I wish I could say the same for BP Ultimate... I get less mileage with that than V Power.

Moreso, I have a different engine to yours... never thought 4 cylinder engines liked 98 octane in the first place? They normally run rich and get heaps of fuel smell from the back (had a friend use it on his Camry on a car cruise and all I could smell was fkin FUEL)

You might find that it runs better in a 5SFE compared a a 3VZ or 1MZ? Not sure... interesting result though.

thats probably more because the 5SFE runs rich as f*ck from the factory.

I only use BP ultimate in my celica.

yea i dont know why that is whippy, still amazes me. yesterday filled up once again only to be regularly surprised by the fact that i was roughly doing 8.5L/100kms. i always fill it to the top each week. the trip to work isnt exactly economical either. i past through at exactly 21 traffic lights to get to work. the road from south eastern suburbs to southland victoria is a piece of work, and i still attain such figures.

im thinking it might be a combo i am using for the car, ie, tyres, fuel, engine oil....but thats all i can think of that can materially affect the figures, aside from me punishing the engine just to prove i can reach 10L/100km with ultimate. air conditioning place little part in increase the consumption...soo....??? i use no additives either....

I have found something similar with my 5sfe. When I got my celi, I tried all of the different brands out there but for some reason I always got a LOT more mileage out of BP 91 RON than anything from Caltex or United especially.

Lately I've switched to 98 ultimate. I haven't noticed any change in fuel economy, but I run ultimate because it contains less sulphur (sulphur dioxide + atmospheric water = acid rain), so for the environment more than anything else. Besides, I too like to think that quality product goes into my car.

Seems to be engine-dependent?

i just did 510km on 35 litres of BP ultimate in my 4age - Intake, Headers,Exhaust.......and flogging it a fair bit.

6.8l/100km aint to bad i reckon....in saying that it is a 1.6l but its gets its decent amount of revs

i have only ever used BP ultimate for last 3-4 years with sportivo and now with this car, Wed i filled up with Shell V power just to test and see how she goes km's wise....may even swap across...not sure yet

Edited by jaderd

i mainly use v-power because of the discount vouchers :P

but i tried ultimate for a while at one stage, and didnt notice any difference in fuel economy one bit.

but like everyone has said, i've got a different engine to all of you again, and every engine (even if it is the same type) will react differently to different fuels.

I do usually hear good things about BP Ultimate. At the same time, I also hear bad things. As most have stated, different fuels seem to give different results on different engines. I personally try to use only BP Ultimate. It doesn't bother me if I don't, but it,s just a high preference. My 2GR-FE doesn't really care what fuel you feed it. Even E10 gives the same results. I just trust Ultimate more.

I do think the 3VZ's prefer V-Power over BP Ultimate. I had been using BP Ultimate while the Shell near home was being rebuilt. Anyways after switching back to V Power my economy figures dropped from the Low 9's to about 8.5L/100km (pure highway driving) and have remained close since (the iPhone Road Trip app works wonders in calculating everything and anything to do with filling up :P)

But I honestly believe every car reacts differently to different fuels, its just working out which fuel is best for your own car.

i just did 510km on 35 litres of BP ultimate in my 4age - Intake, Headers,Exhaust.......and flogging it a fair bit.

6.8l/100km aint to bad i reckon....in saying that it is a 1.6l but its gets its decent amount of revs

i have only ever used BP ultimate for last 3-4 years with sportivo and now with this car, Wed i filled up with Shell V power just to test and see how she goes km's wise....may even swap across...not sure yet

well u'll have to make sure u reset the ecu b4 making assumptions on figures u get out of the same week u fill with vpower.

x2 on the rich from the factory, it used to run 91 and 95 octane when i first got mine and u could smell it running rich, but not a hell of a difference in the smell since i started using 98 octane(a good few yrs) but i get better mileage with the 98 octane. Highways driving can get me about 550kms out of the first half of the tank(70L) as i never let it get below half full.

I religiously use from BP ultimate or Mobil syn8000. Caltex Vortex gold makes my car hesitate quite badly with WOT.

550km with half a tank!!!!!! I'd be lucky if I can get near that with a full tank!

I religiously use from BP ultimate or Mobil syn8000. Caltex Vortex gold makes my car hesitate quite badly with

My car is a 1999 V6 Vienta and I always use V/Power, mainly cause my wife shops at Coles and I enjoy the 4c discount. It would appear that its six of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to brand names. However, I have been advised that V/Power and I believe other high octane brands use beneficial additives in their top product, plus there is, according to tests that I have read (providing I don't go swapping and changing every time I fill up the ECU will adjust to the new conditions) resulting in an increase of 4kilowats of power and I think it was 5nts of torque. Without the proper equipment to do a meaningful check those figures must represent an improvement in both performance and economy. As they say use the best and forget the rest!!!! If it makes you happy, use it .

Edited by peregrine

I religiously use from BP ultimate or Mobil syn8000. Caltex Vortex gold makes my car hesitate quite badly with

My car is a 1999 V6 Vienta and I always use V/Power, mainly cause my wife shops at Coles and I enjoy the 4c discount. It would appear that its six of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to brand names. However, I have been advised that V/Power and I believe other high octane brands use beneficial additives in their top product, plus there is, according to tests that I have read (providing I don't go swapping and changing every time I fill up the ECU will adjust to the new conditions) resulting in an increase of 4kilowats of power and I think it was 5nts of torque. Without the proper equipment to do a meaningful check those figures must represent an improvement in both performance and economy. As they say use the best and forget the rest!!!! If it makes you happy, use it .

:P I don't have a choice, its a 98 only car now, or else kaboom! :P But it just shows that although there is only a 1 or 2 refineries that we get all our fuels here in brissy, its different even with the same octane reading.

Man I'd be lucky to get 550-600km a tank... lol.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but the oil refineries are mainly all the same, but the actual fuel suppliers (BP, Shell, Caltex etc) put in their own additives.

I think the main refinery in Brissy is a Caltex one right?

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but the oil refineries are mainly all the same, but the actual fuel suppliers (BP, Shell, Caltex etc) put in their own additives.

yea 550 on half a tank is really not quite impossible at all. if i can achieve 350km on 3/4full, then 550 on half is perfect.

u guys must drive it 2 the red line most of the time?

Nah, just different cars must give different figures... I let the car shift gears around 3-4k... and depending on how many traffic lights will depend on how I go.

200k service is coming up within the next 6 months... should improve my fuel efficiency then :)

yea 550 on half a tank is really not quite impossible at all. if i can achieve 350km on 3/4full, then 550 on half is perfect.

u guys must drive it 2 the red line most of the time?

I do drive to the red line at times but not all the time. On the long cruises with lots of highway, I can ge about 10.xL/100km. With normal driving though, it's usually at about 11-12L/100km.