Gen 6 Camry - replace licence plate lights

Tash

Okay, so I've got two sets of nice bright bulbs, one for replacing the parkers (which there is no way I am going to attempt that myself) and one set to replace the licence plate lights in the bootlid. Now I did a quick search and I can't find what I want to know which is, how the hell do you get those screws out that hold the carpet in place??

I was poking around under the bootlid the other night and I swear I have un-twisted those screws on the carpet until they will go no more but they just won't budge. Is there an easy way/special tool I need to achieve this?? Figured there's gotta be some fellow Gen 6 owners on here (or even Aurion, as that should be similar) who have replaced those lights - please help! :)

Should have searched the Aurion board. We have some similarities which makes searching there helpful. I'll excuse you this time :P

The 'Christmas tree' clips pull out and not screw. You can use the carpet to grip them better as in my photos below. You just use your thumb to hold the bottom and 'pinch' it so it doesn't drop:

changing nuber plate bulbs

Well, it's beyond hot outside at a 36-37 degrees Celsius, but this is for you. It took longer taking the photos than the actual procedure itself. How hard did you poke exactly? .... jokes.

Just follow the photos in order, you should be able to figure it out:

dsc03323ai8.jpg

dsc03324vz8.jpg

dsc03325ui5.jpg

dsc03326ly0.jpg

dsc03327ok4.jpg

dsc03328zf8.jpg

dsc03329ue5.jpg

dsc03330ni3.jpg

dsc03331lb3.jpg

dsc03332vh5.jpg

Ahh cheers Daryl you are an absolute legend, I will have to frequent the Aurion board more often :) Man though, they must be in there tight as a bloody drum cos I tried pulling them as well and they just will NOT come out. But I guess basically I can't really destroy them can I? So if I apply a bit more force I won't break anything.

But I guess basically I can't really destroy them can I? So if I apply a bit more force I won't break anything.

They take a bit of force. They are reasonably indestructible. I've removed and inserted one dozens of times and it stills grips well. The 'barb' things are soft enough to withstand being flexed, but hard enough to provide the grip.

If you manage to snap one (commonly done if using pliers to remove them), you can pick up a pack of 10 for a dollar or two.

Okay, so I've got two sets of nice bright bulbs, one for replacing the parkers (which there is no way I am going to attempt that myself)

Tash mate; if you want a step by step way of changing your parkers just drop me a PM. its a fair amount of work just to change 2 simple small globes though.

But I guess basically I can't really destroy them can I? So if I apply a bit more force I won't break anything.

They take a bit of force. They are reasonably indestructible. I've removed and inserted one dozens of times and it stills grips well. The 'barb' things are soft enough to withstand being flexed, but hard enough to provide the grip.

If you manage to snap one (commonly done if using pliers to remove them), you can pick up a pack of 10 for a dollar or two.

Ahh excellent, thanks for that info :) Would go out there and give it a crack today but now the wind is too icy! Definitely a project for one night this week though :D

Okay, so I've got two sets of nice bright bulbs, one for replacing the parkers (which there is no way I am going to attempt that myself)

Tash mate; if you want a step by step way of changing your parkers just drop me a PM. its a fair amount of work just to change 2 simple small globes though.

Oh that would be brilliant - although do you fancy helping me do it if I drop down one weekend? You're right though it's a fair amount of work hence something I'm not too keen to try by myself, but the end result is great as proven by your avatar :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tash; if you come down one weekend it should be fine. but i work on weekends so in the mornings to lunch time would be sweet. Just give me a message if you havnt already attempted it. Sorry for the late reply by the way, i didnt see your thread.

Edited by private number

Tash; if you come down one weekend it should be fine. but i work on weekends so in the mornings to lunch time would be sweet. Just give me a message if you havnt already attempted it. Sorry for the late reply by the way, i didnt see your thread.

That's alright, you've seen it now :) Cheers, I might do that one weekend then - the licence plate globes were very easy in the end (just need to pull the carpet away harder!) but the parkers frighten me a bit hahah

Might have to get some diff globes though, the pair of T10's I bought are nice, but the set I used in the rear whilst very white and pretty don't seem to be very bright.