Project Log - Aurion ICE

Foss

I've mentioned a few bits and pieces around here about my project I'm working on in my Aurion. It made slow progress since I bought the car in September, but has been pretty stagnant the last couple of months, due to moving out of home, increased expenses, trying to sell old car, etc.

Now I'm finally looking at taking it through to completion in the coming months. That in mind, I thought I'd start up a project log for those interested in following my progress.

So, heres the details.

Stage 1 - Completion [====================] 100%

Install...

Toyota Aftermarket Headunit Facia + spacers & pocket

Pioneer Pioneer DEH-4150SD Head Unit

PAC SWI-PS

Pioneer CDX-FM677 CD Changer

Pioneer TS-G1040R Front Speakers

Pioneer TS-A1681S Rear Speakers

Pioneer GM-D7400M Class D Mono Amp

Pioneer TS-W306C 12" Sub

Stage 2 - Completion [==------------------] 10%

Custom boot floor with bi-fold hinged hatch for spare wheel access. (Whoever at Toyota designed the wheel well needs to be shot, BTW)

2 Fiberglass subwoofer enclosures custom moulded to boot behind taillights.

Fiberglass enclosure to mount amps, capacitor, and possibly screen. Custom moulded into boot behind back seat, and allowing for use of access hatch.

Stage 3 - Completion [=-------------------] 6%

Relocation of current Pioneer head unit from dash to custom DIN mount in glovebox.

7" or 8" touchscreen in dash, in custom fascia fabricated using modified Toyota genuine aftermarket fascia and modified original front casing from screen.

Laptop running Centrafuse/XBMC, TomTom Navigator and DashCommand mounted either...

a- Under front passenger seat, with power button and busy/hdd/etc lights rewired to dash fascia or

b- In boot, with screen removed and mounted either in boot lid lining or under backseat/boot access hatch, and lights/buttons rewired as above.

Multi card reader mounted in blanking panel beneath air con controls.

3.5mm jack mounted in compartment/cup holder in front of console (where other power outlet is).

Either relocate OBDII port or make an extension lead, so USB OBDII reader can be mounted behind dash out of the way.

I'll post photos up tonight of current progress.

Edited by Paradigm

I've mentioned a few bits and pieces around here about my project I'm working on in my Aurion. It made slow progress since I bought the car in September, but has been pretty stagnant the last couple of months, due to moving out of home, increased expenses, trying to sell old car, etc.

Now I'm finally looking at taking it through to completion in the coming months. That in mind, I thought I'd start up a project log for those interested in following my progress.

So, heres the details.

Stage 1 - Completion [====================] 100%

Install...

Toyota Aftermarket Headunit Facia + spacers & pocket

Pioneer Pioneer DEH-4150SD Head Unit

PAC SWI-PS

Pioneer CDX-FM677 CD Changer

Pioneer TS-G1040R Front Speakers

Pioneer TS-A1681S Rear Speakers

Pioneer GM-D7400M Class D Mono Amp

Pioneer TS-W306C 12" Sub

Stage 2 - Completion [==------------------] 10%

Custom boot floor with bi-fold hinged hatch for spare wheel access. (Whoever at Toyota designed the wheel well needs to be shot, BTW)

2 Fiberglass subwoofer enclosures custom moulded to boot behind taillights.

Fiberglass enclosure to mount amps, capacitor, and possibly screen. Custom moulded into boot behind back seat, and allowing for use of access hatch.

Stage 3 - Completion [=-------------------] 5%

Relocation of current Pioneer head unit from dash to custom DIN mount in glovebox.

7" or 8" touchscreen in dash, in custom fascia fabricated using modified Toyota genuine aftermarket fascia and modified original front casing from screen.

Laptop running Centrafuse/XBMC, TomTom Navigator and DashCommand mounted either...

a- Under front passenger seat, with power button and busy/hdd/etc lights rewired to dash fascia or

b- In boot, with screen removed and mounted either in boot lid lining or under backseat/boot access hatch, and lights/buttons rewired as above.

Multi card reader mounted in blanking panel beneath air con controls.

3.5mm jack mounted in compartment/cup holder in front of console (where other power outlet is).

Either relocate OBDII port or make an extension lead, so USB OBDII reader can be mounted behind dash out of the way.

I'll post photos up tonight of current progress.

I thought I had enough technology in my cab. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I'VE FOUND A KNOB!!!

Ok, perhaps thats a little over enthusiastic, but I didn't expect to find one so perfect for my project as this one! Phidgets Encoder

Will mount this in my custom fascia and it will be my volume control for my laptop. The push-button function will hopefully be able to be used for mute. Once mounted, I'll just pull the plastic knob bit off my stock unit and poke it onto the Phidgets for a nice, stock(ish) look.

At the moment I'm struggling with a few snags I've hit with my design. I want to mount some LEDs in my fascia and run the wires from the activity lights on the laptop, but I'm buggered if I know how to mount them flush with the front of the fascia. And I'm thinking they may be too bright direct anyway, so I'm trying to figure out a way of putting something frosted flush with the fascia front and mounting the LEDs behind that. Any ideas?

The other snag is a similar problem with the power button. I want to mount my power button in the fascia as well, and rewire it from the laptop to the dash, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna mount it yet. I want to put a blue LED ring around the power button too that comes on when the headlights are on. I'm thinking I should find an old PC case with a button like this and just rip out the entire assembly and somehow mount that. Thoughts?

Integrating this in somewhere would be interesting. Just need to find somewhere that will work and provide ease of access.

Hehehe... custom door trim or centre console mounted.

Edit: My bad for not providing the link. I was referring to another knob... not the one you plan on putting on the fascia:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate

usb-volume.jpg