Custom Y-Pipe >> Result... Better than 150hp!!

ZRSHIFT

Hey fellas went to the Performance Shoppe in WA today got the y pipe and cat replaced done for 600.

Got it on the dyno and only got 152.7hp............. FAIL

He reckons the pipe work before the mufflers is the Restriction.. Because the pipework is only 1 and a quarter inch.

The whole exhaust is supposed to be 2.5inch all the way through, where mine starts of with 2.5inch with y pipe then the 4inch resonator then 2.5inch then 1inch and quarter then the rear mufflers.

So i got it booked in for monday to make the whole pipework 2.5inch, and hopefully regain 50hp????

Man im so confused. Plus he rekons i should change the resonator to a 4inch pipe, if any smaller, it would sound too loud and sound like ****.

Any comments u guys??

Ill post up dyno asap of the crappy 152.7hp Aurion of mine...

Peter

Edited by ZRSHIFT

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sun was out so yeah..

Well heres the youtube link.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry guys i uploaded it wrong, Guni was kind enough to fix my problem

Edited by ZRSHIFT

What i dont get is why a 1inch pipe can restrict 50hp or so....

But then again when u think about it, its nearly 1.5inch off the 2.5inch that it should be.

So after monday i am expecting a faster and louder car???

What u guys rekon??

Yep!! Im totally CONFUSED

How can it lose sooooo much power??????

Is the stock pipework on the aurion 1inch and a quarter like he said?? Or the prick who did my magnaflow mufflers make that 1inch and a quarter pipe!!!!

I rekon the 2nd one, otherwise everyone would have the same problem.

So, hrmm after monday and everything is fixed plus forking out more money!!!

My car should be faster and sound louder, plus the 50hp i lost will be back up to over 200hp like it should be!!!!

Does this make any sense to u guys??

What yall rekon?

Pete

Firstly you should post up your dyno graph if you have it.

Secondly, dynos can be pretty crap sometimes. Quite possibly that could have been a dodgy dyno run.

Thirdly, I'm trying to understand all your talk about the inches.

The exhaust starts off as 1.25 inch pipe out of each cylinder bank. This mean there is 1.25 inch of pipe for 3 cylinders. Then it merges (really badly on the stock setup) into 2.5 inch pipe, which is what it remains all the way to the rear y-split where it goes into 1.5 inch (or there abouts) pipe for each muffler. I don't see this as a restriction.

The 1.5inch pipework is after the centre, where it splits off into a y pipe then comes the mufflers.

Thats what he reckons is the restriction.

Can u picture it now?

No dyno sheet, too disapointed to even ask for a print out.

The 1.5inch pipework is after the centre, where it splits off into a y pipe then comes the mufflers.

Can u picture it now?

Yes I can picture it, but I still don't see it as a restriction. Think of it this way. The volume of exhaust coming from the 2.5 inch pipe before the y-split gets divided up between two 1.5 inch pipes. That's not restrictive.

Im at a loss too why he has lost power. after my "y"pipe mod and even with my still dodgy intake I have got more bottom end power and when I floor it, It goes like the preverbial,that feeling like it doesn't know what wheel to put the power on. not sure what a good standing start 0 to 100 time is but I did one 4.30 am coolish morning straight flat bit of highway and got 8.36 sec.

I know nothing about exhaust systems, so i got no clue about what is wrong.

All i can say is that if i took photos, it would look diff from MKAY's aurion, if u look at his tailpipe photo, all u can see is 2.5inch pipework all the way through to the tip.

Mine is just the 1inch and a quarter.

But if it were just a dodgy dyno, in which i rekon isnt, then we shall see the results on monday afternoon.

All i can say is that im really disapointed at a unexpected result from today.... Doesnt make sense, Im so confused..

Can u picture it now?

Yes I can picture it, but I still don't see it as a restriction. Think of it this way. The volume of exhaust coming from the 2.5 inch pipe before the y-split gets divided up between two 1.5 inch pipes. That's not restrictive.

Did u get a dyno done scoota??

Cos i just looked at ur photos of where u can see ur rear mufflers, and mine looks the same, u can see the 1.5inch pipework there.

The dude has got to have ****** up somewhere...

Maybe the y pipe work wasnt the same as mkay's car??

I should print out photos of mkays car and bring to him on monday to compare

ZRSHIFT - How does the car actually feel to drive? If you were that low on power, you would really notice it and the car would feel like an absolute slug. If it doesn't feel bad, I'd bet a bad dyno run. Furthermore I can't imagine you're car being that down on power and no throwing up engine codes/lights etc

... not sure what a good standing start 0 to 100 time is but I did one 4.30 am coolish morning straight flat bit of highway and got 8.36 sec.

I've managed a flat 7 second 0-100km/h on a warm road. Obviously not really the best indication of power though since there are way too many variables. 1/4 mile is where it's at.

All i can say is that if i took photos, it would look diff from MKAY's aurion, if u look at his tailpipe photo, all u can see is 2.5inch pipework all the way through to the tip.

I've got the stock pipework for my exhaust. All that I've changed is the rear mufflers. This means I still have the 1.5 inch splits at the rear. Mine didn't dyno a low figure, so I wouldn't call that a restriction in your case.

Anyways, without the dyno graph, it's just going to be a whole heap of guessing.

Cos i just looked at ur photos of where u can see ur rear mufflers, and mine looks the same, u can see the 1.5inch pipework there.

no I haven't done a dyno run, not sure who does them here in hobart, but I might enquire. do you still have the stock intake, because that is where you might be losing the power (open exhaust but restictive intake) this may play with ECU settings. just a thought. as with thphotos, yes get them as a guide.

Either its a bad dyno run or bad y pipe??

Hrmm the car?? I havent had much chance to give it a run, it sounds wierd, like kinda annoying, its louder than before tho.

But i gave it a tiny bit of a thrash and it sort of felt a little sluggish (slow) but then again i cant remember how far i put my foot down.

Ive got a headache and cant rmber **** now.

Guess we have to wait till monday to rectify this problem!!!

Thanks u guys.

Oh!! and the pipework u are talking about DJKOR, u r correct, there should be no restriction, yet my dyno run seemed to be off.

Ive just replaced the stock panel filter with a K & N panel filter. So that shouldnt have done anything to restrict it, i hope. haha

no I haven't done a dyno run, not sure who does them here in hobart, but I might enquire. do you still have the stock intake, because that is where you might be losing the power (open exhaust but restictive intake) this may play with ECU settings. just a thought. as with thphotos, yes get them as a guide.

... not sure what a good standing start 0 to 100 time is but I did one 4.30 am coolish morning straight flat bit of highway and got 8.36 sec.

I've managed a flat 7 second 0-100km/h on a warm road. Obviously bot really the best indication of power though. 1/4 mile is where it's at.

my nearest 1/4 mile track is 2.5 hours away, would love a run though.

I've got the stock pipework for my exhaust. All that I've changed is the rear mufflers. This means I still have the 1.5 inch splits at the rear. Mine didn't dyno a low figure, so I wouldn't call that a restriction in your case.

Anyways, without the dyno graph, it's just going to be a whole heap of guessing.

... there should be no restriction, yet my dyno run seemed to be off.

As I said, it could have been a bad dyno run. It's either that, or they screwed your front y-pipe up.

Dynos can be off by quite a bit at times. Ash (SecaBoy) once got a reading of something like 248WHP one day for his TRD, then got 224WHP or something like that when he put it on the dyno again another day.

These things do happen. Just go to a highway on-ramp and accelerate hard. See how long it takes to reach 100km/h or more.

U make a good point DJKOR.

He did like 3 or 4 runs, first was 152 then started dropping to 140 then like 135hp

... there should be no restriction, yet my dyno run seemed to be off.

As I said, it could have been a bad dyno run. It's either that, or they screwed your front y-pipe up.

Dynos can be off by quite a bit at times. Ash (SecaBoy) once got a reading of something like 248WHP one day for his TRD, then got 224WHP or something like that when he put it on the dyno again another day.

These things do happen. Just go to a highway on-ramp and accelerate hard. See how long it takes to reach 100km/h or more.

He must have stuffed up the y pipe and or cat aye.

Im so printing out those mkay photos and show him on monday.

Just ***** me off that im gonna have to spend more money for him to fix a problem.

He must have stuffed up the y pipe and or cat aye.

Im so printing out those mkay photos and show him on monday.

Just ***** me off that im gonna have to spend more money for him to fix a problem.

would be good if you post pics of what they did with your "y" pipe mod. if they did the same as m'kay and myself or something different.

Yeah i know, ill take pics on monday and compare and post them up as well.

I just took it out for a quick run in the peak hour traffic, Only got up to about 100km

But i feel as if the car has more torque, i was in 2nd gear the whole time, so yah.

The car doesnt feel slower, it has more torque especially in 2nd gear. i can definetely feel it, and it feels alittle quicker as well.

So yeah ill just get thing re worked on monday and see wat happens.

I can say that my car sound heaps different now, doesnt even sound like an aurion no more... wierd, its got a grunt like a v6 or v8 ford/holden

Haha its so wierd

Yeah i know, ill take pics on monday and compare and post them up as well.

I just took it out for a quick run in the peak hour traffic, Only got up to about 100km

But i feel as if the car has more torque, i was in 2nd gear the whole time, so yah.

The car doesnt feel slower, it has more torque especially in 2nd gear. i can definetely feel it, and it feels alittle quicker as well.

So yeah ill just get thing re worked on monday and see wat happens.

I can say that my car sound heaps different now, doesnt even sound like an aurion no more... wierd, its got a grunt like a v6 or v8 ford/holden

Haha its so wierd

This statement needs more support... Take a sound clip and let the audience judge... If it's true.. We're happy and proud of you.. :lol: