Custom Y-Pipe >> Result... Better than 150hp!!

ZRSHIFT

Well guys took my car back to the place today. Chucked it on the dyno.

208.1hp was the result. Yay!!

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

The guy rekons that the ecu needed a few days of driving the car before it got used to the new changes, and in doing so it gave a proper reading!!

Didnt do the rear y pipe tho, he said no need, and just go for the drag strip.

He still rekons the rear y pipe is restrictive being 1.5inch but didnt say why.

So i just left happy.

Yay, gonna go down to the drags on wednesday and cross my fingers i can launch the car.

post-16440-1264386140_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZRSHIFT

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay, gonna go down to the drags on wednesday and cross my fingers i can launch the car.

Keep us posted on how you go.

Remember, even if you don't get a great 1/4 mile time, as long as you let your transmission do the gear changing for you, your trap speed (finishing speed) will be a decent indication of your power. A higher trap speed indicates a higher power-to-weight ratio.

Keep us posted on how you go.

Remember, even if you don't get a great 1/4 mile time, as long as you let your transmission do the gear changing for you, your trap speed (finishing speed) will be a decent indication of your power. A higher trap speed indicates a higher power-to-weight ratio.

What u mean let my transmission do the gear changing? Wouldnt i be using s mode. My trap speed should hit the end of 3rd (160km) or thereabouts, thats wat i rekon anyways

What u mean let my transmission do the gear changing? Wouldnt i be using s mode. My trap speed should hit the end of 3rd (160km) or thereabouts, thats wat i rekon anyways

I recommend leaving it in 'S' mode with 6th selected. This way the transmission will do all the shifting for you. Personally I have found this to yield the best results, but feel free to do the shifting yourself. You will learn a thing or two about it then.

As for your trap speed, you should be aiming for 99.29mph (159.80km/h) or higher :P

BTW, when you get to that speed, you will be in 4th.

I recommend leaving it in 'S' mode with 6th selected. This way the transmission will do all the shifting for you. Personally I have found this to yield the best results, but feel free to do the shifting yourself. You will learn a thing or two about it then.

As for your trap speed, you should be aiming for 99.29mph (159.80km/h) or higher :P

BTW, when you get to that speed, you will be in 4th.

Wow leaving it S mode and 6th gear? Really? Why not like 4th or something?? thats something really interesting i never heard of. That means leaving it in 6th it would be kinda hard to wheelspin at the beginning of the race.

Wow leaving it S mode and 6th gear? Really? Why not like 4th or something?? thats something really interesting i never heard of. That means leaving it in 6th it would be kinda hard to wheelspin at the beginning of the race.

You surely can't be thinking that by having it in 6, that the car will be taking off in 6th gear? Have you ever tried to take off on a high gear on a manual car? You should really read what 'S' mode is all about.

Sorry to spoil everyones fun but all the manual shift mode is for is to change the available gears. I looked into it a while ago and after decrypting the owners manual explanation it works like this.

Shifting from D to "Manual mode" manually changes the gears available to the gearbox. So if you select 3rd gear - the car will only use gears one through three. Or if you select 5th gear the car will only use gears from one through five, etc etc...

The manual shift mode is more to assist with gear selection in heavy/slow traffic (use 4th gear to use gears one through four to provide better respose at slow speeds) or engine braking on downhill stretches. It's only other practical use is for towing.

The crap part is that the manual shift option is nothing more than a modern version of an overdrive selector. But instead of having a 3 speed auto with 4th gear overdrive on a switch, you can select any of the 6 gears. Nothing more...

That's why the car still up and down shifts when it dam well pleases. Even though you think you've selected a single gear, you've only narrowed the cars options.

Leaving it on 6 enables you to utilise all gears, but when going down the 1/4 mile, you only get up to 4th anyways, but you may as well leave it on 6th because it makes no difference.

You surely can't be thinking that by having it in 6, that the car will be taking off in 6th gear? Have you ever tried to take off on a high gear on a manual car? You should really read what 'S' mode is all about.

Sorry to spoil everyones fun but all the manual shift mode is for is to change the available gears. I looked into it a while ago and after decrypting the owners manual explanation it works like this.

Shifting from D to "Manual mode" manually changes the gears available to the gearbox. So if you select 3rd gear - the car will only use gears one through three. Or if you select 5th gear the car will only use gears from one through five, etc etc...

The manual shift mode is more to assist with gear selection in heavy/slow traffic (use 4th gear to use gears one through four to provide better respose at slow speeds) or engine braking on downhill stretches. It's only other practical use is for towing.

The crap part is that the manual shift option is nothing more than a modern version of an overdrive selector. But instead of having a 3 speed auto with 4th gear overdrive on a switch, you can select any of the 6 gears. Nothing more...

That's why the car still up and down shifts when it dam well pleases. Even though you think you've selected a single gear, you've only narrowed the cars options.

Leaving it on 6 enables you to utilise all gears, but when going down the 1/4 mile, you only get up to 4th anyways, but you may as well leave it on 6th because it makes no difference.

Okay this sounds good, so wat will i do at the start line? How should i launch and then be in 6th gear? Launch in drive?

Please explain haha im so noob at drags

put it into "S" mode and then up shift twice so you're in "6"...

roll up to the start line...

put your left foot HARD on the brake (otherwise you'll creep forward)

put your right foot on the gas and bring the revs up to 1500rpm (well, the exact rpm depends on what you find best. too high and you'll wheel spin, too low and you'll bog down off the line)

when the light goes green lift your foot off the brake and mash your right foot flat to the floor (again, depends on what you find best. if i mash my foot to the floor, i just wheelspin/axle tramp. so i just feed the power on in a smooth movement)

hold you foot flat to the floor until you've gone past the finish line and then brake hard so you dont go off at the end of the track! :lol:

thats the basic jist of things... but you really need to test out your own car and see what works best for your car and tyres...

also, dont expect to get your best time on the first run or even the first night out... it might take you some time to get used to it... :)

put it into "S" mode and then up shift twice so you're in "6"...

roll up to the start line...

put your left foot HARD on the brake (otherwise you'll creep forward)

put your right foot on the gas and bring the revs up to 1500rpm (well, the exact rpm depends on what you find best. too high and you'll wheel spin, too low and you'll bog down off the line)

when the light goes green lift your foot off the brake and mash your right foot flat to the floor (again, depends on what you find best. if i mash my foot to the floor, i just wheelspin/axle tramp. so i just feed the power on in a smooth movement)

hold you foot flat to the floor until you've gone past the finish line and then brake hard so you dont go off at the end of the track! :lol:

thats the basic jist of things... but you really need to test out your own car and see what works best for your car and tyres...

also, dont expect to get your best time on the first run or even the first night out... it might take you some time to get used to it... :)

DJKOR mentioned that i wasnt going to take off in 6th gear. So im guessing take off in a diff gear and the upshift twice??

If the run ends up u being in 4th gear, then why dont i just go down the strip in 4th gear instead of 6th?

So confusing this 6th gear thing, to me it sounds like u are in 6th gear but the car naturally takes off starting at 1 then 2,3,4 so on.

DJKOR mentioned that i wasnt going to take off in 6th gear. So im guessing take off in a diff gear and the upshift twice??

If the run ends up u being in 4th gear, then why dont i just go down the strip in 4th gear instead of 6th?

So confusing this 6th gear thing, to me it sounds like u are in 6th gear but the car naturally takes off starting at 1 then 2,3,4 so on.

Oh dear.

I think for you, you are best of leaving it in 'D'. For what it's worth, putting it into 'S' will not benefit you at this point in time.

Oh dear.

I think for you, you are best of leaving it in 'D'. For what it's worth, putting it into 'S' will not benefit you at this point in time.

Lol i know i know, i dont know much about cars in detail nor about the drag strip. So i ask heaps of questions.

Sorry.

did you read what DJKOR posted above about how the gearbox works? or did you just gloss over it? :lol:

when you put it in "S" mode, the number "4" will come on the dash... right?

up shift twice and you'll see the number go to "5" and then "6"...

the point of doing this (im guessing, as its different to what i do!), is that once you go past the finish line and have taken your foot off the gas, the gearbox will return to 'normal' and shift automatically into 6 and just cruise along...

i dont bother with this, as i usually downshift once i've gone over the finish line so that the engine brakeing helps me stop... so the car never gets a chance to shift up into 5th or 6th... (as djkor said, you'll cross the line in 4th)

in really really basic terms, the gearbox works like this:

when the dash shows "4", the car will start in 1st, then change to 2nd as needed, and then change to 3rd as needed and then finally to 4th as needed.

if the dash showed "2", then the car will start in 1st gear and then change to 2nd gear as needed and then it WILL NOT change up to 3rd when its needed... instead it will just bounce off the rev limiter...

hopefully this will make sense...

if you cant get your head around it, go for a drive and test it out... you'll soon realise what we're talking about... :)

did you read what DJKOR posted above about how the gearbox works? or did you just gloss over it? :lol:

when you put it in "S" mode, the number "4" will come on the dash... right?

up shift twice and you'll see the number go to "5" and then "6"...

the point of doing this (im guessing, as its different to what i do!), is that once you go past the finish line and have taken your foot off the gas, the gearbox will return to 'normal' and shift automatically into 6 and just cruise along...

i dont bother with this, as i usually downshift once i've gone over the finish line so that the engine brakeing helps me stop... so the car never gets a chance to shift up into 5th or 6th... (as djkor said, you'll cross the line in 4th)

in really really basic terms, the gearbox works like this:

when the dash shows "4", the car will start in 1st, then change to 2nd as needed, and then change to 3rd as needed and then finally to 4th as needed.

if the dash showed "2", then the car will start in 1st gear and then change to 2nd gear as needed and then it WILL NOT change up to 3rd when its needed... instead it will just bounce off the rev limiter...

hopefully this will make sense...

if you cant get your head around it, go for a drive and test it out... you'll soon realise what we're talking about... :)

Oh, so all ur trying to say is that put it in s mode and shift up to 6th gear and then take off at the start line in 6th gear right??

Thats all i was asking, i was just asking the steps into taking off at the start line in which gear thats all.

Oh, so all ur trying to say is that put it in s mode and shift up to 6th gear and then take off at the start line in 6th gear right??

Thats all i was asking, i was just asking the steps into taking off at the start line in which gear thats all.

yeah, kinda... but you need to get your head around the fact that you're not actually starting off in "6th gear"...

whatever number is shown on the dash, you're LIMITED to that gear and below... so if its showing "1" on the dash, then it'll stay in 1st for as long as you want... but if its showing "3", it'll change from 1 to 2 to 3 and then stay in 3rd for as long as you want...

in saying that, it WILL down shift if you put your foot flat to the floor...

i think ive said enough now... im just repeating myself i think... seriously, take the car for a drive and play with the gear shifting... you'll soon understand what its doing... :)

yeah, kinda... but you need to get your head around the fact that you're not actually starting off in "6th gear"...

whatever number is shown on the dash, you're LIMITED to that gear and below... so if its showing "1" on the dash, then it'll stay in 1st for as long as you want... but if its showing "3", it'll change from 1 to 2 to 3 and then stay in 3rd for as long as you want...

in saying that, it WILL down shift if you put your foot flat to the floor...

i think ive said enough now... im just repeating myself i think... seriously, take the car for a drive and play with the gear shifting... you'll soon understand what its doing... :)

Sorry mate, i actually understand, but i guess i didnt say that i did.

Basically if ur car is in s mode and in 6th gear and wen u floor it, it will begin in 1st then 2nd and so on.

The only question i was trying to get for the past 2hrs... Lols was wat selected gear will display on screen? YES!! i think i just asked the correct question worded correctly.

Hahaha im so sorry for confusing everyone with the wrong worded questions.

LOLS!!

Well guys took my car back to the place today. Chucked it on the dyno.

208.1hp was the result. Yay!!

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

The guy rekons that the ecu needed a few days of driving the car before it got used to the new changes, and in doing so it gave a proper reading!!

Didnt do the rear y pipe tho, he said no need, and just go for the drag strip.

He still rekons the rear y pipe is restrictive being 1.5inch but didnt say why.

So i just left happy.

post-16440-1264386140_thumb.jpg

excelllent you got the result you were looking for. good luck at the drags. I wish i could get to ours but its over 2 hours away, maybe I will get time one day.