Steering wheel shudder.. (Gen5 Camry)

waggasportivo

My steering wheel starts to shudder or shake when you apply the brakes to the car when it is going over 100km/h..

Is this expectable from a Gen 5 camry (kinda like the handbrake roll) or is this something i should get looked at?

Thanks for any help :)

My steering wheel starts to shudder or shake when you apply the brakes to the car when it is going over 100km/h..

Is this expectable from a Gen 5 camry (kinda like the handbrake roll) or is this something i should get looked at?

Had the same problem with my Gen 5.5 V6 Sportivo, had the disks machined, and all better. Our car had only done about 40K at this stage

Edited by Dazza6901

Had the same problem with my Gen 5.5 V6 Sportivo, had the disks machined, and all better. Our car had only done about 40K at this stage

Ok guess it woulda helped if i was a little more specific. I've also got a V6 Sportivo, but mine is Gen5 ana has 137K on it atm :o lol

Where do you have to go to get the disks machined and about how much :rolleyes:

Ok guess it woulda helped if i was a little more specific. I've also got a V6 Sportivo, but mine is Gen5 ana has 137K on it atm :o lol

Where do you have to go to get the disks machined and about how much :rolleyes:

I believe some brake shops will machine discs for you.

I had the same problem with my rotors on my 5.0 sportivo V6, but that was after a run through Mt. Nebo; I think I partially warped the discs.

Hi had the same problem awhile ago. Front pads had been replaced with ceramic fortified pads, these were replaced at no cost as they apparently were having some sought of problem with them at that time. Discs were also reground at the same time. Worth attending to, as if not fixed I believe can lead to premature wear to front end parts eg ball joints.

If you're getting the shuddering when braking, then it's probably just warped discs. You travel up and down hills or stuff like that? I know a fair few people that live in Maleny and Mapleton here on the Sunshine Coast have the problems, but since I live in Landsborough, I never have had the issue.

When were your brake pads last changed anyway?

If you're getting the shuddering when braking, then it's probably just warped discs. You travel up and down hills or stuff like that? I know a fair few people that live in Maleny and Mapleton here on the Sunshine Coast have the problems, but since I live in Landsborough, I never have had the issue.

When were your brake pads last changed anyway?

Yeah actually it is a littlle bit hilly here in Wagga Wagga (country NSW) and I actually have one each day on the way home.

I'm not sure about the last replacement, bought the car second hand from the local Toyota dealer here a couple months back.. The car was good when they sold me it, but a few little niggling problems have appeared since driving.. go figure..

Should I get the brakes looked at just at the Toyota workshop, or where would you recommend I go?

• 2 years later...

This could be from disc machining, wheel alignment or balancing, get them machined as it won't hurt and usually cheap I pay $15 per disc, but that's in sydneys west, don't know about rural. Also look if ur tyres have even wear, if not it could be an alignment and balance problem, hope it helps. :)

Edited by H8MENW

I forgot to say, I get the steering shudder at around 100kmh after several hard braking episodes. So it seems that when the brakes disc get hot they create the shudder. I dont get any pulsating effect on the brake pedal as if the brake piston is going in and out. Could it be anything else like, ABS or piston problem.

Edited by julian040859

I would say this is need of machining, you won't notice it at slow speeds and because you feel nothing on the pedal the abs and piston seen fine, it might be a small amount of warping only noticed at high speeds when the disc gets hot.