Nankang Tyres

mick0082

Guys,

As most of you have probably read, I am picking up my white 05 Sportivo on Friday. As a result I have been getting prices on different 18" wheel and tyre packages.

Does anyone run or know much about Nankang tyres, there are a fair few retailers pushing them. Some places insist that they are a high quality Yokohama tyre with a different name so they can be sold cheaper, whereas other places offer them as a cheaper alternative to the big reknowned names.

I would have thought a quality tyre would be a Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop or an actual "real" Yokohama.

Does anyone know the real story?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ask shao he seems to know a bit bout tyres :P

i also know the sportivo_rice (kyle) is running nankangs......n i guess they r still pretty good.....considering th punishment they av endured :P

i think they r just sum budget "performance" tyres for ppl who can actaully afford "real" perfromance tyres

i also know the sportivo_rice (kyle) is running nankangs......n i guess they r still pretty good.....considering th punishment they av endured  :P

i think they r just sum budget "performance" tyres for ppl who can actaully afford "real" perfromance tyres

dont' go for nangkangs, cheap too cheap. wears really quick but no benifits. i've had pirelli p5000's and p-zero's. the zero's are a class of thier own but $$$. at the moment for good value and not too cheap but a reliable tyre i've had 2 sets of goodyear f1's now. really really good tyres. not as good as pirelli's but lasts longer and its got benefits.

pirelli p5000's are really good soft tyres but wears fast. stick with the good brands. it is the tyres that is keeping you on the road.. why discount your life?

NEWS JUST IN!!

...there is a significant difference in tyre selection....purely because some tyre manufacturers do share tyre moulds around, but they keep the compounds to themselves :ph34r:

therefore those nankangs could be made to look like yokos...but they would actually be made with different compounds.....

i also know the sportivo_rice (kyle) is running nankangs......n i guess they r still pretty good.....considering th punishment they av endured   :P

dont' go for nangkangs, cheap too cheap. wears really quick but no benifits. i've had pirelli p5000's and p-zero's. the zero's are a class of thier own but $$$. at the moment for good value and not too cheap but a reliable tyre i've had 2 sets of goodyear f1's now. really really good tyres. not as good as pirelli's but lasts longer and its got benefits.

pirelli p5000's are really good soft tyres but wears fast. stick with the good brands. it is the tyres that is keeping you on the road.. why discount your life?

This is true but alot of people dont seem to see eye to eye on this topic, some people want their gear at the lowest possible price even if it means they are sacrifcing safety and/or quality. I'll be getting quality skins on my rims. If I can't afford the kind of rubber I should be buying then i'll just wait a little longer!

This is true but alot of people dont seem to see eye to eye on this topic, some people want their gear at the lowest possible price even if it means they are sacrifcing safety and/or quality. I'll be getting quality skins on my rims. If I can't afford the kind of rubber I should be buying then i'll just wait a little longer!

that is very true. don't get me wrong i like good special prices. but certain things like safety, money just can't buy. for cosmetic items, it all depends on tastes. but yes when it comes down to break pads and tyres i do believe a little more $$$ is nothing compared to what it could do for you.

I don't think buying cheap tyres are going to kill you. The people who design the tyres don't design them to have you killed. If you drive safely and responsibly, then you wouldn't have anything to worry about. I mean, sure i agree with the saying "what you pay for is what you get", but you cannot say someone is putting their life in more danger by buying tyres that they can only afford.

Would a driver with a ****ty car who drives responsibly be in more danger than someone who has an expensive car with the best tyres in the world that drives like a maniac? Take your pick... :D :D :D

rubber is rubber, we are not on a daily basis running around on a track reaching speeds in excess of 200km..

"designers of tyres dont design them to hurt the customer" and with this in mind if you are willing to pay less, do it.. just like shopping at target instead of Targeat.. its rubber when you light it up it will still smell the same...

Thank you thats my $0.02

Yes, some very valid points there.

Another thing to add in there jus tto illustrate the issue though:

In most cases its well documented and tested that most of the slightly dearer reknowed brands of tyres will handle better, stop quicker and perform better in the wet than the cheaper tyres when tested under the same conditions.

This is the safety issue i'm talking about.

So whether its slow driving, normal driving or track driving the better tyres will be safer when tested back to back.

I realise purchase comes down to things like budget and driving style, some people wont ever have a problem with the cheaper tyres as they may be more conservative.

But for people like us who like to enjoy "spirited drives" i'm sure most of us would be happier with the better tyre simply because of the combination of ride, hold and feel.

Personally, i'm happier with the peace of mind that I may have a little better chance on the better rubber if something does happen to go wrong.

Yes this rambling contains alot of ifs, buts and variables but this is how I feel on the subject.

Yes, some very valid points there.

Another thing to add in there jus tto illustrate the issue though:

In most cases its well documented and tested that most of the slightly dearer reknowed brands of tyres will handle better, stop quicker and perform better in the wet than the cheaper tyres when tested under the same conditions.

This is the safety issue i'm talking about.

So whether its slow driving, normal driving or track driving the better tyres will be safer when tested back to back.

I realise purchase comes down to things like budget and driving style, some people wont ever have a problem with the cheaper tyres as they may be more conservative.

But for people like us who like to enjoy "spirited drives" i'm sure most of us would be happier with the better tyre simply because of the combination of ride, hold and feel.

Personally, i'm happier with the peace of mind that I may have a little better chance on the better rubber if something does happen to go wrong.

Yes this rambling contains alot of ifs, buts and variables but this is how I feel on the subject.

got your back there mick,

it does depend on budget but that's like everything. would you buy cheaper water that "might" make you sick or would you pay extra to have the comfort of not thinking about getting sick?

i know it depends on how you drive? but we all know people in this forum drive spiritedly than usual toyota customers. we're not saying its going to happen but extra reassurance is better than none. as for an extra $300 or $400 on my life. i'd rather spend the extra than having my family watching me underground. you know funerals can be up to 10k :D

hmmm 10k... there some nice modies

I think the one thing that needs to really be looked at with the tyres though is wear times & patterns..

When I bought my 2000 Corolla Levin, it had Smokemharda's on it and with regular rotation, I pulled around 45000kms on them (not my preferred lifetime of a tyre. And that was city driving with a little highway.

I then put Firestone TZ100 on them at about $110 each (185/60/14 I think) and got about the same....

I was about to put cheapish tyres on the car then, when I realised that this would still be $100 ish each, and for $125 each I could get a Falken ZE326 (I think it was called that) and it was a bloddy good tyre. I noticed improved handling and less road noise within kilometers of the tyre dealer.

Well worth the extra $25 each....unfortunatley I sold the car 6 weeks later.

Then I got my Sportivo with the stock Bridgestones on it. Now while I do not feel that these are the best wheel on the road, as far as lifetime, I can assure you that when rotated properly, you can expect value. These are the same tyre as what came standard on my wife's Holden 'S' Ute, just a lightly different size.

2 1/2 years, and 60,000kms, and she is only now getting 2 of them replaced (because one of them has a slow leak through a plugged up nail hole and you have to keep the left/right symetry)...there is still another 10,000kms or so left on them...

my rant over..

Cheers

Aaron

I think the one thing that needs to really be looked at with the tyres though is wear times & patterns..

When I bought my 2000 Corolla Levin, it had Smokemharda's on it and with regular rotation, I pulled around 45000kms on them (not my preferred lifetime of a tyre. And that was city driving with a little highway.

I then put Firestone TZ100 on them at about $110 each (185/60/14 I think) and got about the same....

I was about to put cheapish tyres on the car then, when I realised that this would still be $100 ish each, and for $125 each I could get a Falken ZE326 (I think it was called that) and it was a bloddy good tyre.  I noticed improved handling and less road noise within kilometers of the tyre dealer.

Then I got my Sportivo with the stock Bridgestones on it.  Now while I do not feel that these are the best wheel on the road, as far as lifetime, I can assure you that when rotated properly, you can expect value.  These are the same tyre as what came standard on my wife's Holden 'S' Ute, just a lightly different size.

2 1/2 years, and 60,000kms, and she is only now getting 2 of them replaced (because one of them has a slow leak through a plugged up nail hole and you have to keep the left/right symetry)...there is still another 10,000kms or so left on them...

my rant over..

Cheers

Aaron

crikes, 45,000km on 1 set of tyres... i've never had that happen to me b4

Edited by shaohaok

What needs to be remembered, I think, is that the tyres are your only contact with the road, and even then it is only approximately the palm of your hand in size at each corner ... therefore, to a degree, worth giving good thought to, rather than just plumping for the cheapies that come as a package with the 17's or 18's at Tyres-R-Us or whoever.

Obviously, your granny isn't going to fully appreciate a set of P-Zeros, so there needs to be some compromise, but as long as you have a reputable brand, with a tyre design that suits your driving style and conditions, you can't really go wrong.

Buddha's interesting note for today ... did you know that in some states of Australia, it is perfectly legal to fit retreads to high performance cars, such as the Ferrari F430, the Porsche Carrera or the Corolla Sportivo? :)

What needs to be remembered, I think, is that the tyres are your only contact with the road, and even then it is only approximately the palm of your hand in size at each corner ... therefore, to a degree, worth giving good thought to, rather than just plumping for the cheapies that come as a package with the 17's or 18's at Tyres-R-Us or whoever.

Obviously, your granny isn't going to fully appreciate a set of P-Zeros, so there needs to be some compromise, but as long as you have a reputable brand, with a tyre design that suits your driving style and conditions, you can't really go wrong.

Buddha's interesting note for today ... did you know that in some states of Australia, it is perfectly legal to fit retreads to high performance cars, such as the Ferrari F430, the Porsche Carrera or the Corolla Sportivo?  :)

do retreads have a load/speed rating as well? or does it follow the original carcass?

I was about to put cheapish tyres on the car then, when I realised that this would still be $100 ish each, and for $125 each I could get a Falken ZE326 (I think it was called that) and it was a bloddy good tyre.  I noticed improved handling and less road noise within kilometers of the tyre dealer.

Then I got my Sportivo with the stock Bridgestones on it.  Now while I do not feel that these are the best wheel on the road, as far as lifetime, I can assure you that when rotated properly, you can expect value.  These are the same tyre as what came standard on my wife's Holden 'S' Ute, just a lightly different size.

my rant over..

Cheers

Aaron

Hmm, i was told by a friend with Suzuki Swift that the Falken ZE326 is rather durable and has good sidewalls but not real grippy.

• 1 month later...

i had nankangs on my car n they were on a set of 18s. i cant complain about them. my mate runs nankang on his GSR evo 3 n from the way he drives (insane) they havent worn out uneven. he said they r a good gripping tyre n 4 the money ya cant go wrong.. they r only about $160 a tyre 4 215/30/18 so thats pritty cheap compalred 2 sumthen like ova $200 4 a good brand name.

Buddha's interesting note for today ... did you know that in some states of Australia, it is perfectly legal to fit retreads to high performance cars, such as the Ferrari F430, the Porsche Carrera or the Corolla Sportivo?   :)

do retreads have a load/speed rating as well? or does it follow the original carcass?

retreads are speed rated to about 140kph from memory. I've always been a yokahama man and still posses a set of the super sticky and prolly the best tyres ever made - the A008. Mighten have high mileage but these are absolutly the best I've ever had.

I currently am running Goodyear F1's on the stivo and get pretty good mileage out of them. 45 000k's and they are getting close to be replaced so not too bad. I also had these on my integra and managed to get 76 000k's out of them but the Integra is a lot kinder on tyres than the Stivo :( The secret in long tyre life is regular rotation and using nitrogen instead of normal compressed air. Nitrogen keeps the tyre pressure constant and therefore reduces shoulder wear when cornering as the tyre doesn't get anywhere near as hot.

My 2 cents worth. :D

The whole Nitrogen thing os a load of Baloney made up by Tyre servicing companies so that can charge people $5 a pop to fill their tyres with gas. The is a difference in Motor Racing where the Tyre walls are thinner (allowing easier diffusion of the gas molecules) and the temperatures are more extreme, increasing the rate of oxidation as well as assisting the diffusion of gas also.

But the difference it make to road tyres is negligable for the usual lifetime of your tyres. Sure if they are going to be in storage for a long period of time, of your car is a show-piece in a collection and is rarelt driven there will be a longevity advantage through less tyre degredation over 10 years but in the usual 2 year lifetime we have on our tyres the advantage will not be noticed...

But hey who are you going to believe the polymer chemist or the car-care professional... :rolleyes:

But hey who are you going to believe the polymer chemist or the car-care professional...  :rolleyes:

hmmmmm ..... sorry dylan im gona have 2 go the car-care professional :P :P :P :P :P :P :P the polymer chemist just seems a bit dodgy :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: