Top Gear on CH9?

dave262

Anybody else out there watching Top Gear on 9 right now, and thinking:

a) the HD channel looks worse than SD

B) the "2 hour" episode they are running is actually a 1 hour episode with 10 min ad breaks every 15 min

I have seriously never seen such a shameful performance. On SBS at least you could actually remember where u were at in the show! They just keep making more ad breaks right when it gets interesting! Not to mention the quality loss is huge compared to SBS HD...

/end rant

Phew! I thought I was missing it, so I quickly flicked my TV on and I see that it starts at 7:30pm. Thank you QLD time and thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll see shortly if they keep the HD bitrate up or not.

I'm guessing that they are taking advantage of the fact that they will have a fair few people tuning in so they can throw in lots of advertisements.

I'm guessing that they are taking advantage of the fact that they will have a fair few people tuning in so they can throw in lots of advertisements.

lol i thought that was what CH 9 did with everything? Once upon a time they had the crown as the highest rating station, but somewhere along they lost their way. Maybe because they cut out so many parts to fit more ads in, that people had no idea what was going on any more!

We seriously need more stations in Aus. Compared to the likes of places in Asia and the US... I never understood why it took em till just last year to finally get more than like 5 channels here!

Anybody else out there watching Top Gear on 9 right now, and thinking:

a) the HD channel looks worse than SD

B) the "2 hour" episode they are running is actually a 1 hour episode with 10 min ad breaks every 15 min

I have seriously never seen such a shameful performance. On SBS at least you could actually remember where u were at in the show! They just keep making more ad breaks right when it gets interesting! Not to mention the quality loss is huge compared to SBS HD...

/end rant

The HD looked pretty decent to me, better than SBS at least (but then again I've got NBN, not Channel 9).

And it wasn't a two-hour episode by the way, it was one normal episode with bits cut (ie the international version, as the BBC version goes for 50 minutes and no ads), and then the second half (with a very obvious cut) was the Winter Olympics special which is from 2006 (although the Evo/bobsleigh bit was from Season 5 in 2004).

I was a bit dissapointed with channel 9. They advertise it as the new season and a 2 hour special......great, only to find that the 2nd hour is a repeat of what i have seen many times on sbs. It was straight out false advertising.....and as many have said, the adverts just drive me nuts. Channel nine would have made a fortune selling those advertisment spots....

If it continues, next week we will probably see another repeat instead of the new season.

Before long, commercial tv will be exactly that.......commercials witha few shows thrown in as the demand for spots and advertising increase.....more money in the channel's executives pockets......

Even foxtel is bombarded with adverts now....

even though foxtel has ads these days, its not as bad as freetoair tv...

and even then you just switch to another channel and watch that for a bit...

ive never been left thinking "damn, there is nothing to watch!" on foxtel... :D

even though foxtel has ads these days, its not as bad as freetoair tv...

and even then you just switch to another channel and watch that for a bit...

ive never been left thinking "damn, there is nothing to watch!" on foxtel... :D

Kind of defeats one of the original purposes of pay TV though.

I used to love our free satellite TV... up until they changed it to digital :lol:

But should we all be surprised that Channel 9 would do a crap job of airing the show also Channel 9? At least its only a season behind unlike channel 7 with Fifth Gear which is a good 5 years behind.

I'm just glad I have already seen all the Episodes and haven't missed out on anything.

I understand that bits were cut out of the show last night. If you download the show, there is more commentry with Eric Bana and also more footage of the Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lambo.....tnnel run and a final review of all three cars........

I heard this from a friend.........channel nine should be ashamed for editing the show to their specs.....show it for what it is.

I understand that bits were cut out of the show last night. If you download the show, there is more commentry with Eric Bana and also more footage of the Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lambo.....tnnel run and a final review of all three cars........

I heard this from a friend.........channel nine should be ashamed for editing the show to their specs.....show it for what it is.

Umm, chances are Channel9 didn't do the editing, the BBC release an "international" version which fits into a standard 44-minute commerical hour, as opposed to the 50-minute commercial-free hour they run in Britain. When SBS started doing ad-breaks I think they switched to the international version too, so we're not really losing out much (you can always tell coming back from some ad-breaks that bits had been cut, traditionally it was the "news" section as it was mostly UK-focussed)..