REAR DECK SPOILERS

peregrine

Seeing as the majority of Toyotas are front wheel drive, one has to question the use of the rear deck spoilers on these cars. I'm not questioning the the merits of the advantage of down force on the back wheels but rather due to the positioning of the spoiler on the rear of the rear deck behind the rear wheels eg place some bricks or better still some bluestone blocks right at the back of your boot and see what happens. Stacks of load (down force) on the back wheels but walla' whats happening to the front, up in the air and reduced traction on the front wheels where you need it most. I realize this is an exageration but none the less it is well founded. Remember the days when the little Mini coopers zipped around Bathhurst thrashing the V Eights and all the rest going around corners with the outside back wheel well off the ground. If only they would let us compete with one of our V sixes now, I reckon the result would be the same. 1st 2nd 3rd Toyota.

If you expect ANY spoiler on a road-car to make a difference in downforce then you are gravelly mistaken. It is only once you get significantly above the open-road speed limit before a boot-spoiler will produce noticeable rear downforce.

If you expect ANY spoiler on a road-car to make a difference in down force then you are gravelly mistaken. It is only once you get significantly above the open-road speed limit before a boot-spoiler will produce noticeable rear downforce.

If properly designed and positioned should give you something slight from as low as 60kph or lower. Look at this being an upside down aero wing, gliders start lifting off the ground with people in them at around this speed or slower. The stall speed of a tiger moth aircraft was 45mph (approx 72kph) with a crew of two and that is ancient technology. Point taken you did say noticeable? down force .

Edited by peregrine

If you expect ANY spoiler on a road-car to make a difference in down force then you are gravelly mistaken. It is only once you get significantly above the open-road speed limit before a boot-spoiler will produce noticeable rear downforce.

If properly designed and positioned should give you something slight from as low as 60kph or lower. Look at this being an upside down aero wing, gliders start lifting off the ground with people in them at around this speed or slower. The stall speed of a tiger moth aircraft was 45mph (approx 72kph) with a crew of two and that is ancient technology. Point taken you did say noticeable? down force .

A _properly designed_ spoiler will give downforce even at low speeds, but making the comparison to a plane is a bit different considering they have wing areas several times greater than that of the average spoiler/pizza-box holder (especially gliders, which have massive wings and very light weight because they need every ounce of lift they can get).

In your average road car, the difference between a full and empty tank of fuel at 100km/h will probably be greater than the downforce caused by the spoiler.

• 1 year later...

Spoilers are for show. You dont need them on a front wheel drive road car

I took mine off to save weight (7 or 9kg?) and go faster

All a spoiler does is wear out your back tyres and increase fuel consumption

I would love my Celica to slide out at the back but it never has,

except when I removed the rear strut, then it slid very nicely.

My Celica already has an upward turning lip on the boot which Im sure does the same job

I concentrate more on the front end which did understeer

I have put on an aluminium bonnet, lightweight battery,

15mm wheel spacers and lowered my car 20mm

Now it rides round corners like a go cart even at 150k

And in the wet. I havent found its limit since the spacers

Also I have a very light rear end as I have removed:

- spare wheel, jack, brace (15kg)

- rear wiper motor and aerial (2kg)

- wheel cover, boot lining, wires (4kg)

And I never fill the tank more than 1/4 to keep the weight down

Edited by Excalibur

• 2 months later...

using my computer game experience, if you are doing speed over 200km/h, it is useful.

For FF car, spoiler are useless, I use it for RWD cars. It is the fine tuning of oversteer or understeer.

I almost don touch the spoiler unless I have set the anti-roll bar and suspension.

They are more for show..

For forumula cars, huge difference, a lot of straight line speed is lost if too much

BMW must know what they're doing,not fitting a spoiler to the E36 M3...

The M3R got one though, maybe for show or to justify the bigger price tag..

In other markets the M3 CSL, M3 GT, M3 Evolution and M3 GTR all came with a rear wing of various sizes