Interior trim paint

Steven

Decide to do up my central console as it is full of scratches, got myself some 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap, a heatgun and started working on it at 3pm today.

centralconsole0011.jpg

centralconsole0015.jpg

centralconsole0017.jpg

Haven't got the time to do up the Headunit and Air-con control panel, i know it looks funny without completing the whole central console, will try to do it tomorrow when i got more time.

One question, i am not quite sure how to remove the Headunit and Air-con panel, i am trying to figure out how but i am worried that if i pull too hard i will break it. Can anyone advise me on that??

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mate that's incredible! Very nice custom look! Where'd you find the 3M film wrap, are there any other designs?

I've just spent the last few days sanding back my current job and priming it properly this time - it's got to the stage where it can be painted, however I'm really liking the custom look the carbon fibre gives. Any chance of seeing it in person? Shoot me a pm if it can be done.

Mate that's incredible! Very nice custom look! Where'd you find the 3M film wrap, are there any other designs?

I've just spent the last few days sanding back my current job and priming it properly this time - it's got to the stage where it can be painted, however I'm really liking the custom look the carbon fibre gives. Any chance of seeing it in person? Shoot me a pm if it can be done.

Thanks, didn't know how it will turn out.. this is my first time doing it.. when doing the gears part i accidentally cut a small piece of the vinyl out.. so have to just paste another small piece on it to cover it up.. hahahah.. when i got the time, i will redo it again..

Sure i can meet u in person, i am staying in Sunnybank.. or where u wanna meet u just let me know.. i pm u my contacts..

Edited by Ingres

Ingres mate, that looks f***ing sick. Such a professional look to it. Props for the patience to do that.

As for removing the A/C and head unit panels, once you firstly remove the headunit and A/C controls with the guide shown here, then you can disassemble everything fairly easily. The brackets come off the side of the headunit then the A/C controls slide sideways then come off from the headunit fascia. Then you may want to take the dials of the A/C controls to make it easier for you. This part will be obvious to its removal when you see it.

Ingres mate, that looks f***ing sick. Such a professional look to it. Props for the patience to do that.

As for removing the A/C and head unit panels, once you firstly remove the headunit and A/C controls with the guide shown here, then you can disassemble everything fairly easily. The brackets come off the side of the headunit then the A/C controls slide sideways then come off from the headunit fascia. Then you may want to take the dials of the A/C controls to make it easier for you. This part will be obvious to its removal when you see it.

Thanks Daryl, ya i did take out the clock/vent thingy, but i can't seem to be able to pull the headunit panel out .. it just slide sideways.. hahaha.. will try to give it a go if i got time later.. if not will be tomorrow afternoon ..

That looks great Ingres. Noticed, though, that your cup holder lid is opposite to the rest? Deliberate?

Would be good to see this mod take off. Be interesting to see some of the interesting designs people come up with.

I've long been considering customising mine. I'm thinking a metallic black clear-over-base, with that narrow edgeing around the back little compartment/cupholder/thingy done in polished mirror chrome like the edging around the gear stick. I was also thinging just do it in the Diamond White the same as the outside, but I think that would be too much of a contrast with the rest of the dash.

Decisions, decisions. :g:

That looks great Ingres. Noticed, though, that your cup holder lid is opposite to the rest? Deliberate?

Would be good to see this mod take off. Be interesting to see some of the interesting designs people come up with.

Thanks, ya silly me.. after doing everything then i notice that the cup holder is on the wrong side, how stupid of me hahaha.. Rectify this morning..

ingres that looks amazing bro!! anytime you wanna do mine, just let me know... :lol:

Anytime Ash, u just get the Vinyl and i can do it for u after i become better at it.. currently still need abit of practising... this morning did the HU panel and the air-con control panel, the HU panel is hard to do, can't seem to get the corner right... and i am not happy with what i have done.. definitely need to redo it when i got the time.... surprisingly the air-con control panel is easier to do than the HU..

centralconsole0023.jpg

Redone.. manage to do the black rectangular piece inside the HU panel and put my Devil logo back..

centralconsole0025.jpg

Edited by Ingres

Omg... When you told me to do this, I thought U haven't even bought it.. Now It's already on.. LoL... Lookin slick bro.. Yea, Wanna do this for the very same reason as urs.. Gettin sick of all the slight scratches.. How big did you buy it?

Wow that looks really great. I was thinking of repainting mine to cover the light scratches but I'm loving that look. My question is, is it removable without much difficulty and would it leave a stain or anything on the original plastic? I want to return my car to stock when the time comes to sell so I don't want to make any permanent changes.

Ingres, liking the finished product. Are you gonna do the bits on the doors and passenger side dash too? Or around the steering wheel buttons?

Wow that looks really great. I was thinking of repainting mine to cover the light scratches but I'm loving that look. My question is, is it removable without much difficulty and would it leave a stain or anything on the original plastic? I want to return my car to stock when the time comes to sell so I don't want to make any permanent changes.

Leaving it long term shouldnt leave a stain or anything, from my experience, but I spose it depends on the brand. Some brands might. When I did my Lancer I bought some brushed metal vinyl out of the US from RVinyl. Left it on there for probably 12 to 18 months with no noticable residue or stain once removed. Took it off, cleaned up with a bit of metho, couldn't tell it was ever there. In some places it might cause a slight difference due to sun fade on the uncovered areas, but in the case of our silver bits you wouldn't notice, especially if you cover them all.

I've actually talked to Ingres and he gave me the link. I read the product description and it says if it's done outside the car, it should stay at least 4 years, and if it's used for interior like Bro Ingres, it should stay at least 11 years ++. Taking it off is pretty easy and it wouldn't leave any plastic damage whatsoever to the material underneath em. Im just readin what I read few days ago. :P

How big did you buy it?

I bought 1.2m x 1m from ebay.. cost about $120 shipped from Sydney, i bought it on sunday and i received it on Tuesday (they actually send me an email saying the item was posted on sunday itself :toast: ).. if u do up the whole central console it wouldn't use more than half.. i did a few mistake here and there and i still got more than 1/3 of it left.. There are other colours available from ebay

Yes it can be remove easily, using a heatgun, no sweat removing it and you won't leave scratches all over it. don't worry. I think this will be easier to do than to repaint it.. and if u don't like it .. just pull it out..

Ingres, liking the finished product. Are you gonna do the bits on the doors and passenger side dash too? Or around the steering wheel buttons?

Hahahha.. thought of it .. might give it a go... still haven't get the HU panel right after the 3rd try.. but it is getting better.. hahahah.. i will leave it as it is for now.. tired.. might give it a go again when i am doing the bits from the dash..

Ingres, looks sweet as mate! Suits the rest of your car too... I bet it would look great next to your leather seats. Will have to see it in person one Thursday...

I will try to make to the meet tomorrow.. and i can bring the materials out, have a feel at the materials before u decide whether u want to do it.. i can help you if u decide to go ahead.. :clap:

I will try to make to the meet tomorrow.. and i can bring the materials out, have a feel at the materials before u decide whether u want to do it.. i can help you if u decide to go ahead.. :clap:

I decide to go ahead and need help? When u comin to Sydney. :P :P :lol: :lol:

I can't tell from the pictures because they're fairly small - did you cover over the chrome bits in the storage bins?

I was seriously thinking of getting some of this for when I'm on holidays next week, however the electricity bill just turned up... "HOW CAN ONE MAN HAVE THAT MUCH POWER?!" lol

I can't tell from the pictures because they're fairly small - did you cover over the chrome bits in the storage bins?

I was seriously thinking of getting some of this for when I'm on holidays next week, however the electricity bill just turned up... "HOW CAN ONE MAN HAVE THAT MUCH POWER?!" lol

ya.. i covered it.. still not sure whether i want to cut it cos i am terrible with trimming.. don't want to mess up the whole thing until when i have time to fix it..

ya.. i covered it.. still not sure whether i want to cut it cos i am terrible with trimming.. don't want to mess up the whole thing until when i have time to fix it..

If you remove the chrome bits from behind, you could just wrap them around the inside edges of the hole then just replace the chrome piece

that is an incredible change, very impressive stuff,wish I had the confidence to try this.

Seriously i am not good with my hands especially when it comes to DIY, just that i like to trail and error. Anyway it is easily removable if you are not happy with results..

that is an incredible change, very impressive stuff,wish I had the confidence to try this.

Seriously i am not good with my hands especially when it comes to DIY, just that i like to trail and error. Anyway it is easily removable if you are not happy with results..

Was any prep work necessary?