Interior trim paint

Steven

that is an incredible change, very impressive stuff,wish I had the confidence to try this.

Seriously i am not good with my hands especially when it comes to DIY, just that i like to trail and error. Anyway it is easily removable if you are not happy with results..

Was any prep work necessary?

Yes, Hide from some1 so not to get caught... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most likely you need to clean the surface bla bla bla and stuff.... Thinkin of using hair dryer for this mod.. hmm..... <_<

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that is an incredible change, very impressive stuff,wish I had the confidence to try this.

Seriously i am not good with my hands especially when it comes to DIY, just that i like to trail and error. Anyway it is easily removable if you are not happy with results..

Was any prep work necessary?

i just clean the surface.. thats all.. HT tempted?? :yahoo:

I've been thinking further about this, and I think I'll see how the painting turns out.

Reason being I have the climate control and satnav unit combo, which won't look as good with a carbon fibre effect I don't think due to the silver surrounds (the bit that would be covered) being so small compared to Ingres's dash which allows a decent amount to be laid down.

See how things turn out - I reckon though with all the silver bits trimmed in carbon fibre it would create a real sportscar feel inside!

I've been thinking further about this, and I think I'll see how the painting turns out.

Reason being I have the climate control and satnav unit combo, which won't look as good with a carbon fibre effect I don't think due to the silver surrounds (the bit that would be covered) being so small compared to Ingres's dash which allows a decent amount to be laid down.

See how things turn out - I reckon though with all the silver bits trimmed in carbon fibre it would create a real sportscar feel inside!

im in the same boat as you... i think if i was to do it, i'd only to the plastic bits on the doors and the black plastic stuff under the air vents...

dont know if it would look funny though...

anyone know how to remove the panel above the door handle which is of the same colour as the central console? Try to pry it open but it doesn't seem to want to come out willingly.. not like the parts on the dash..

doortrim.jpg

anyone know how to remove the panel above the door handle which is of the same colour as the central console? Try to pry it open but it doesn't seem to want to come out willingly.. not like the parts on the dash..

doortrim.jpg

I believe it's attached from behind, therefore requiring the door trim to be removed.

Well today I masked up the pieces after making sure the surfaces were now perfect, set up my gun and off I went. The result? A meter of that carbon fibre stuff now ordered off Ebay.

I just can't paint :(

I think I'll be adding it similiar to how Ingress originally had his (without air con/radio covered). Also same sort of setup as the Presara's - I believe this will give the neatest result.

Edited by Steven

Well today I masked up the pieces after making sure the surfaces were now perfect, set up my gun and off I went. The result? A meter of that carbon fibre stuff now ordered off Ebay.

whats the name of the item from ebay? can't seem to find it :-(

whats the name of the item from ebay? can't seem to find it :-(

search for: 3m carbon

link: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3M-Di-Noc-Carbon-Fi...=item20afed7b58

Nice.. waiting for all your photos ... Steven if you are doing your door trim.. please let me know how to remove it.. hahah..

Mr Poison... :lol:

Lee, Look at your list in your signature... hahahah... u are more poisonous mate... :clap:

Edited by Ingres

I had a gloss black dash in my last car (VT commodore) - it might look alright, but it's not everybodies cup of tea obviously. It's a very distinct look, but then so is carbon fibre.

I don't think you could get a suitable vinyl cover for gloss black, meaning painting is your only option which carries some risk. My commodore dash was a brand new OEM item for the monaro's, and actually came with a transparent plastic sealing over the paint to protect it. A gloss black would look great painted, but would be very prone to slight scratches and would require constant maintenance. I would also recommend a pro paint it as gloss black is a very unforgiving color.

I had a gloss black dash in my last car (VT commodore) - it might look alright, but it's not everybodies cup of tea obviously. It's a very distinct look, but then so is carbon fibre.

I don't think you could get a suitable vinyl cover for gloss black, meaning painting is your only option which carries some risk. My commodore dash was a brand new OEM item for the monaro's, and actually came with a transparent plastic sealing over the paint to protect it. A gloss black would look great painted, but would be very prone to slight scratches and would require constant maintenance. I would also recommend a pro paint it as gloss black is a very unforgiving color.

After sleeping on it i think i will just stick to silver, i will probably just get the aurion silver ash colour made up and do all centre console strips on the doors and around steering wheel controls. To scared to attemp black lol.

EDIT i meant titan sliver.

Edited by arc

The vinyl arrived today, got straight to work on the console.

Let me say that you're kidding yourself if you try to install this stuff without a heat gun. Also the factory clearances are very small so even the small amount this vinyl extends outward from the plastic makes some pieces difficult to refit. Still so far I'm about half done with the console, doing it a bit different from Ingress as previously mentioned. Unfortunately my net is capped for a few days but I'll do my best to post pics once it's done.

FYI I noticed supercheap selling a carbon fibre vinyl now, very well priced. I had a look at it in person and I didn't like it as much as the stuff from Ebay - it's very glossy.

What do people reckon of having all that console sorta in a gloss black finish?

Do it do it now,so i can see how it looks :P ...black was the color i was thinking of,just not sure on the shade or texture yet.

check out piano black...man thats one awesome black.

I gave it a fresh coat of silver alittle lighter then the factory colour and have abit more of a sparkle in it but came up really good. h=Have a look at my car thread in members rides for photos.