Interior trim paint

Steven

woah nice result mate. how long did it take you just to wrap that?

About 3 or 4 hours, I needed to redo some parts and adjust some others for a better fit so could have been quicker.

The vinyl really does mess with the clearances, if you're not prepared to do some modification to certain things then be ready to have sticky storage bins

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally finished the center console after redoing some bits and fixing clearances elsewhere so all the bins work properly now. I'll have certain other silver bits of the dash finished before days end, but the doors are for later.

post-13080-1268791033_thumb.jpg

That looks great, mate.

With all these people refinishing their consoles, its got the better of me (ya pack o' bastards! :P ). Think I've still got a roll of carbon fibre and a roll of brushed stainless finish vinyl stashed in the garage somewhere. Tonight its experimenting time.

Now Steven's console looks better than mine.. :clap: i saw quite a number of colours available from ebay but they are not from 3M... there is orange, red, black, and some others which i can't remember .. certainly interesting if someone is daring enough to try those colours..

On the topic of interior painting, I was thinking that a good effect would be that brushed aluminium effect in like a gunmetal grey colour. Similar to what this guy has one with his green Camry, but just a different colour:

next update - not finished yet but some pics

6948bd367cea.jpg

844589992de8.jpg

643ad45da14b.jpg

b13aab76cb40.jpg

27eff3448fe4.jpg

c9d4ca24e180.jpg

I really like that effect - sort of reminds me of the work done by that Modicoat process.

Unless you're a gun at spraying though I can imagine it would cost a bit. The results though speak for themselves, something I'm sure would look fantastic in person.

I like the abstract colour thingy.. It looks mad. Thou not a fan on the colour for the gunmetal on the HU and Air-con. Not that it's ugly, but doesn't match the dashboard... :(. Lighting is wow... Damn nice

Edited by VF-X

I had bits of my Lancer centre console and dash done in a brushed aluminium vinyl (in much the same style as the Aurion dash silver, actually). Not a tinted with a color one, thought, just plain ally color. Looked woeful, because the dash was cheap, hard, crappy plastic that was textured to look leatherish even though it clearly wasn't, so when the vinyl was heated up, the texturing started to show through a bit, so it wasn't smooth. On the Aurion it would probably look pretty authentic, though, coz of the smoothness panels. Don't have any of that vinyl left to test with now, though. Not really the finish I'm looking for in the Aurion though.

I'm still kinda tempted to do mine in a clear-over-base, exterior type finish, polished and waxed. In a metallic black, or charcoal, or a darker shade of silver. That or an iridescent black with silver and maybe a greyish blue, but that would probably be too distracting.

Final results of the carbon fibre vinyl. Looks absolutely fantastic in person, stoked with the results.

FYI The door strips are held on by screws from the back, hence requiring each door trim to be removed in turn.

post-13080-1268893677_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1268893685_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1268893698_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1268893705_thumb.jpg

Final results of the carbon fibre vinyl. Looks absolutely fantastic in person, stoked with the results.

FYI The door strips are held on by screws from the back, hence requiring each door trim to be removed in turn.

That looks brilliant :clap:

I don't think I have the patience or skill to do this type of stuff - i'm all thumbs... :(

Mate, that looks tops! Wonder how it would look with the handle covers done as well. As in the ones that you remove to get to the screws.

Damn that looks awesome Steven, can u teach me how to remove the door trim??

You guy's pipped my curiousity, and I liked the results. Doing all interior doorhandles now - much easier as they just pop off with a flathead. Also removing the doortrims isn't hard at all, I'll see if a guide has already previously been posted, if not I shall create one later.

Also pictured is an unexpected passenger who appeared in my glovebox of all places. Still haven't caught the mongrel, might be time to set some traps.

post-13080-1268981250_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1268981288_thumb.jpg

You guy's pipped my curiousity, and I liked the results. Doing all interior doorhandles now - much easier as they just pop off with a flathead. Also removing the doortrims isn't hard at all, I'll see if a guide has already previously been posted, if not I shall create one later.

Also pictured is an unexpected passenger who appeared in my glovebox of all places. Still haven't caught the mongrel, might be time to set some traps.

OMG u got a freaking rat in your car?? what u kept in your car?? Ya waiting for your door trim instruction before i start doing mine..

Hahaha a wittle mouse living in your car :lol: seriously man dose that thing live there?

I would get the little bugger before he nibbles any of your cars interior or it's wiring,my solution is lock a cat in there and when the cats eaten the mouse send in a dog to eat the cat and when he is finished with the cat send in the vaccum cleaner to scare off the dog. :lol: problem solved if you just let nature run it's course all will be sorted. ;)

Awww. You found a little critter in your car.

Less awww though is the fact you haven't caught him. As said, better find him quick. That one looks a bit scrawny and will probably be hungry. They do like to chew wires and this is not a good thing with your car.

I find it funny though that you got a photo of it... but let him get away. Priorities :lol:

I find it funny though that you got a photo of it... but let him get away. Priorities :lol:

He is more interested in capturing the moment than capturing the mouse... *FAINT**...

Edited by Ingres

Less awww though is the fact you haven't caught him. As said, better find him quick. That one looks a bit scrawny and will probably be hungry. They do like to chew wires and this is not a good thing with your car.

I actually took a few photo's of it in the glovebox too, all snuggled up behind my multimeter.. AWWWWWW

Tried to catch him, but I lost track of him under the drivers seat. Oh well got a mouse trap and bait, see if the night turns up anything. Let this be a lesson to anyone who never chases after the dropped french fry between the seats.

I actually took a few photo's of it in the glovebox too, all snuggled up behind my multimeter.. AWWWWWW

Tried to catch him, but I lost track of him under the drivers seat. Oh well got a mouse trap and bait, see if the night turns up anything. Let this be a lesson to anyone who never chases after the dropped french fry between the seats.

Is there anyway a PEST remover can smoke out these bastards??

Let this be a lesson to anyone who never chases after the dropped french fry between the seats.

I'm safe. I don't eat french fries! :lol:

Anyway, you guys talked me into it. :P I did mine (well most of) last night with the carbon fibre style vinyl I had left from when I did my old car. Its a different finish to the rest. Personally I prefer this style, though the final finsh you guys got was much better quality. Still haven't done the climate control, the head unit fascia, or the trims on the doors. Will probably get them done tomorrow. The finish isn't 100% perfect (a couple of air bubbles and puckered curves) but its not gonna be a permanent thing anyway. Its more a temporary thing to see how I feel about a dark shiny finish before I fork out on metallic black and clear coat. Better I change my mind and have to peel off some vinyl than having to sand and respray the whole thing.

Anyway, the pics...

P1000206.JPG

P1000207.JPG

P1000208.JPG

P1000209.JPG

Well done Paradigm, actually i like yours better than mine. That looks really nice and neat.. let's see what other colours will turn up from other members when they decide to have a go at theirs..