BAD Scratches from shopping centre car wash

KXRuising

Hi all,

Haven't posted for a while, been busy with new bub.

Anyways, my wife had our Kluger washed today at a shopping centre car wash. I won't disclose them yet pending their response to the situation!!

Car is about 3 months old and is still in new condition. My wife picked up the car and noticed that there was a series of scratches on the tail gate, including a large gouge... see pic below:

post-15550-1267173662_thumb.jpg

Here's the problem: My wife didn't mention it to the car wash manager when she collected the car.....

When I got home and was shocked by the gouge and scratches I called them immediately and they asked me to bring the car back. It looks as though they have opened the tailgate (which they did to clean the rear compartment) and the tailgate hit something on the way up.

Upon returning they said that there is no way that those scratches could've been done at the car wash. I AM 100% sure that they did... with 3 kids we open the tailgate on every trip to get the pram out...we would've noticed these scratches..

They have cameras placed at the car wash which have a direct view of the washing area and perfect view of where our car was parked. I asked them to explore this footage. They left for 5 minutes and came back saying that they couldn't access the footage, how convenient.

I have left this situation with them saying they would get back to me on Monday when they have had a chance to review the tape.

I am concerned that this situation is being delayed to prevent me from getting a result and / or to delete the damning footage.

My next step tomorrow will be to contact the shopping centre management and inform them of this situation and that I am not confident that my situation is being handled appropriately and to contact my insurance company to have them pursue this issue.

Does anyone have any advice, legal or other to resolve this problem.

PS: Have been wanting to post with new updates on the KXR - Grande conversion. So far have done Alpine rear dvd, oznest rails, foggies with KXS replacement stalk and leather steering wheel. I know this means nothing without pics, so i'll post up soon..

Appreciate any help.

KXRuising.

No legal advice ... but in future like i do, i wash it myself. Unfortunately when i had my 1k service, the guys didnt wash properly and then when they go and wipe down the water, the dirt on the car was rubbed off leaving multiple scratches everywhere.

Not as bad as that though.

Good luck with it mate. Were you able to see any roof section there that it may have hit? overhanging piping or something?

No legal advice ... but in future like i do, i wash it myself. Unfortunately when i had my 1k service, the guys didnt wash properly and then when they go and wipe down the water, the dirt on the car was rubbed off leaving multiple scratches everywhere.

Not as bad as that though.

Good luck with it mate. Were you able to see any roof section there that it may have hit? overhanging piping or something?

Always wash the car myself, but other priorities at the moment... will check roof tomorrow and see. Didn't think of that?

Cheers.

Local carwash?

Ground floor or 2nd floor :D?

Tell you what, although they are car wash chains. The people who operates them are totally different. So choose carefully.

I don't like to go to that "local place". Can't imagine anything can hit since if I know where it is .... even is the one started with a B** **** C****, there is nothing in the vacuum area that could hit right?

There is a clause in the entry that you leave the car there "at your own risk". Go figure.

The only place I put my car in for wash is Magic hand car wash on Hoddle street. The guy who now operates it has been there for years! No complaint with them at all... except sometimes the cafe brings my meat pie late! I don't want to rush when I have my pie at the car wash :D

A picture paints a thousand words. (Or takes the paint off your car). Was it a full hand car wash - the type where a team of guys give the car a good going over?

From the damage, it appears that the car wash has one of those cylindrical brushes, and the brush roller has come too close to the tailgate and damaged it. Or the brush has been contaminated with abrasives. How is your roof and bonnet looking? I had a bad experience many years ago with this type of car wash, although not as bad as yours. My car slowly developed many parallel lines in the paintwork on the roof, bonnet and boot. Presumably from the brushes. I never went back to this type of car wash again after noticing this slight damage. Only high pressure non-contact car washes for me now.

My damage was minor, so I didn't try to claim even though I always used the same car wash all those years ago. Your damage is moderate so it is worth pursuing. Don't know what your chances are. Good luck.

Edited by Toyopet

looking at the pic, it looks like they moved the car with the tail gate open and it scratched on something hanging from the roof. If they just opened it and hit something, it be more of a dent than a scratch/gouge.

Good luck getting it resolved.

looking at the pic, it looks like they moved the car with the tail gate open and it scratched on something hanging from the roof. If they just opened it and hit something, it be more of a dent than a scratch/gouge.

Good luck getting it resolved.

Not sure how they did it??

It was a full hand car wash, so can't imagine that they damage was caused by the actual washing of the car.

There is no damage to the roof or bonnet or anywhere else on the car!!

I was told to come back in today to review the security camera footage, but the manager was 'sick'. Will go back tomorrow and see what they have to say. Apparently they have had a chance to review the footage and still believe that the damage was not caused by them. I am unclear as to why they want me to come back in?? The car was there for 4 hours, so I can't imagine they are going to go through the full 4 hour footage with me??

Anyways, I'll see how I go...