Warranty Fault referred to Toyota???

Pacie

Hi All,

This one is just one that has been bugging me so i was wondering if anyone knows the "rules" to get something fixed under warranty from Toyota.

Just had my aurion serviced on Friday and i showed them the attached picture of how my air con is turning on by itself.

Because it is an intermitant issue this was the only way i could prove it was happening.

So many hours later i get the car back and they tell me that the air con problem has been sent through to Toyota Australia as a warranty claim and they will call me once they hear back from them.....

Could someone not have just pulled out the unit and seen if there was a short or something??? Or is that just not the way it works???

I had my stereo replaced in the past without any issues.

Your thoughts please so that i can sleep at night again :P

post-1979-1268103087_thumb.jpg

If only warranty was that easy!

What happens when you get something fixed under warranty is that Toyota Australia pays the dealership to fix the problem. If the dealership says "yeah that should be warranty" and spends an hour farting around fixing your problem, then Toyota Aust says "nah, we aren't gonna cover that under warranty", then the dealership has to wear the cost, because they can't very well charge you if they've already told you its a warranty job.

So are you saying that the dealer would have seen a faulty air con switch and had to ask Toyota Australia if they could fix it?

What could Toyota Australia come back to them with??

Surely the dealer still has to take our the unit to see that there is not some sort of physical damage that caused the problem and stuff around for an hour or so like you said??

Bottom line i'm the customer with a fault in my car, plus i have extended warranty with the dealership so someone can just replace the switch and chase their $20 later...........

Have you ever known claiming warranty to be simple for anything? I know I haven't!

It's probably not so much that they have to ask Toyota Aust if they could fix it - they can fix whatever they please. Its more likely they had to ask Toyota if Toyota would pay for it under warranty. For all they know, it could be a $20 part and an hours labour, or it could be a more serious fault, a new aircon system for you, and 2 days work. Nobody's going to do that sort of work unless they know somebody's gonna pay for it. Aside from the money side of it, there would be procedures in place for dealing with warranty issues. These procedures are not "yeah, we'll cover it chase it up later", they are "we'll find out if its covered and we'll let you know when we can fix it". It's called covering your a*se, every company has to do it, and the larger the company, the tighter the a*se covering procedures are.

Extended warranty with the dealership? Is it still Toyota extended warranty? Also, if only for your own peace of mind, its worth looking into what 'Extended Warranty' means in your case. My folks took extended warranty when they purchased their '05 Camry (brand new off the showroom floor). Turns out that in their case "extended warranty" doesn't mean extension of the original warranty, but just powertrain warranty.

Have you ever known claiming warranty to be simple for anything? I know I haven't!

Extended warranty with the dealership? Is it still Toyota extended warranty? Also, if only for your own peace of mind, its worth looking into what 'Extended Warranty' means in your case. My folks took extended warranty when they purchased their '05 Camry (brand new off the showroom floor). Turns out that in their case "extended warranty" doesn't mean extension of the original warranty, but just powertrain warranty.

yes i've looked up my extended warranty but luckily this still falls under new car warranty :)

Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

i've seen the A/C switch issue about 4 times now. If the button is pressured really hard it seems to play up. If you have reported it more than once to the dealer ask them to replace the a/c heater control unit. It's not a hard thing to replace.

if it was reported whilst in warranty and then plays up outside of warranty ask the dealer to place a prior / outside of warranty authorisation request.