Toyota Rukus: Press Release

Press Release

09 March 2010

RUKUS BY NAME, RUCKUS BY NATURE

Toyota Australia today announced it will launch an all-new model for Australia, to be known as "Rukus", before the middle of the year.

New Toyota Rukus is an urban utility vehicle with head-turning styling that projects an aggressive appearance.

Toyota Australia's marketing manager Scott Thompson said Rukus is designed to bring young, urban trend-setters to the Toyota family - especially those who have never previously considered a Toyota.

"It will be a case of 'Rukus' by name and ruckus by nature," Mr Thompson said.

"This is a car that's designed to be different, with a boxy shape that has become iconic," he said.

"When it's launched late in the first half of this year, it will certainly stir up the small-car market - creating a 'ruckus', if you will."

Mr Thompson said Toyota Rukus will be offered to urban dwellers as a blank slate.

"It will be loaded with great standard features, but we expect many owners to express their individuality by making their car stand out from the pack.

"That might involve wild paint jobs, funky wheels or other ideas, limited only by the imagination of owners - and what's legal.

"Potential customers have told us they want this style of car. We've listened and we're responding.

"Rukus is designed to be different: it's not for everyone. It's a bit like Vegemite: it's an acquired taste," Mr Thompson said.

Edited by u54mot

Well it is a Scion xB. Toyota will also release the FJ Cruiser this year, apparently.

Edited by u54mot

As fan of the Japanese boxes (I have a soft spot for them.), I welcome the arrival of the Rukus. From the teaser shot, good to see that they're using the US version's (Scion) front end. Especially the headlights, they still have amber reflectors on the Aussie car (One thing I like, as a USDM-style fan.). Wouldn't mind replacing the RAV4 with this.

btw, speaking of which, here's an ad on the xB2, titled Polarization (Makes sense, as design is a personal thing. Some may like it, some may not.).

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

And a random (Wacky) ad of the new Cube in Japan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have been driving one for a day now.... and all i have to say is....

i want one.

there is so much toque from this engine, there is buckets of room, they handle and ride brilliantly, the level 2 stereo is epic.

so horny for this car.

Agreed!

I got to have a sit in the Rukus aswell and I must say it's a great car. Although I'm a bit skeptical on the price points. I think they're a tad overpriced for the age market Toyota are trying to reach. But who knows. :)

had it for a few nights also.. such a rad car to drive! def want one. the torque is just awesome on it! just waiting to find out about how long i have to wait for it though which i dont think i'll find out to launch. just got the list of genuine accessories good on toyota for trying but i still think there could have been more and better things to offer considering what the U.S market has. will wait and see.

had it for a few nights also.. such a rad car to drive! def want one. the torque is just awesome on it! just waiting to find out about how long i have to wait for it though which i dont think i'll find out to launch. just got the list of genuine accessories good on toyota for trying but i still think there could have been more and better things to offer considering what the U.S market has. will wait and see.

example of accessories?

also, if this came in a six speed manual I would be so much more interested...

example of accessories?

also, if this came in a six speed manual I would be so much more interested...

3x decal kits - 1x Flames, 1x, Stripes (off centre gt stripes essentially), 1x techno (no idea what that is havnt seen it).

usual TRD accessories - fuel cap cover, oil cap, push to start, shift nob both black and white resin type and leather.

other than that the other accessories are very generic to which you get on pretty much any other toyota model.

Totally agree about the 6speed man but its not a detourant for me at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

3x decal kits - 1x Flames, 1x, Stripes (off centre gt stripes essentially), 1x techno (no idea what that is havnt seen it).

The third decal kit is a 'Brick' decal.

FYI: The Toyota Website has updated with all the RUKUS info

Edited by u54mot

Are these details final?.. I thought that there would be a 5 speed manual but it only comes in 4 speed auto...

Auto. Final.

Are these details final?.. I thought that there would be a 5 speed manual but it only comes in 4 speed auto...

Auto. Final.

:( I was actually looking forward to this...

Can someone confirm that it has the 2AZ-FE? And wasn't there a supercharger made for it in the US?

I'm probably getting excited over nothing again.

Edited by jtron

:( I was actually looking forward to this...

Can someone confirm that it has the 2AZ-FE? And wasn't there a supercharger made for it in the US?

I'm probably getting excited over nothing again.

It is the 2AZ-FE, and yes there is/was a TRD Supercharger Kit for it in the US.

Part numbers:

Scion xB ’08, 2.4L I4 PTR41-52080

Scion xB ’08, 2.4L I4, AT FIT KIT PTR41-52091

Scion xB ’09, 2.4L I4 PTR41-52092

Edited by u54mot