86 Celica Engine troubles

TyDi

Hi all,

Just acquired an 1986 Celica,

And its running really rough, it likes to:

1) jump about 800 revs in seperate intervals

2)Blow black smoke

3)have a milky oil cap (but no water in bottom of engine though)

4)Run a little nicer with the air filter removed

Where should I start looking?

We originally thought it was a head gasket issue, but there's no water in the oil sump and the radiator isn't boiling.

Whats the first things I should be checking??

Cheers

TyDi.

A guess- sounds like you have some sort of carby issues. The milky oil under the cap CAN be just condensation.

I'd start with basics- compression test all cylinders inc. leakdown if you can, or dry VS wet. Get a stiffer test and possibly pressure test on the cooling system (sniffer test- dont know what its called, but detects combustion gasses in the cooling system)

As far as revs going up and down, and blowing back smoke- that to me sounds like carby issues, and she's running rich as hell if it runs better without the filter. Carb rebuild kit shouldnt cost much.....

Is she missing at all, or running hot?

A guess- sounds like you have some sort of carby issues. The milky oil under the cap CAN be just condensation.

I'd start with basics- compression test all cylinders inc. leakdown if you can, or dry VS wet. Get a stiffer test and possibly pressure test on the cooling system (sniffer test- dont know what its called, but detects combustion gasses in the cooling system)

As far as revs going up and down, and blowing back smoke- that to me sounds like carby issues, and she's running rich as hell if it runs better without the filter. Carb rebuild kit shouldnt cost much.....

Is she missing at all, or running hot?

86 was the first of the 4th Generation celicas (3S-FE and 3S-GE) unless its a 3S-FC (Which is basically impossibe, they never came with one, although they will fit) it wont be a carb issue.

Milky oil in the cap indicates that water has gotten in, it could just be condensation/the cap being left off and water getting in, or something more sinister (blown head gasket, warked/cracked head, etc)

As for the rough running... things to check are;

Fuel Filter

Air Filter

Injectors/Fuel Rail

Throttle Body

T-VIS if its a 3S-GE

Spark Plugs

Plug Leads

Distributor cap and rotor button

Timing

Black smoke is usually an indication of it running too rich, so also be sure to check;

MAF sensor (connected and working)

Oxygen Sensor

How many Km's does it have on it?

as said above, also do a compression test, and ensure that there is no blue(oil), or white(coolant) smoke coming from the exhaust