Drive belt

Hey guys. Went to super cheap auto n asked for a drive belt for my TiVo when I gave hem the part no. Which was a bocsh one (no. 6pk1930) when i got the product it was some other brand named austral! The only maybe good thing was that this belt is made in japan... I would have surely returned it if it was made in china/taiwan etc.!

Now I'm worried whehter it will fit my stivo or not :/ seriously... Sigh

the guys at super cheap said not to worry as it will still fit...

Bosch is ok but this? I never heard of it before! Will look into this further

did this company buy a part of Bosch or something?

edit: some spelling mistakes (stupid iphone buttons too small)

Edited by Kenshin X

I've heard of the Gatorback being the best on the 2ZZ. Although I haven't tried any coz my car has only done 70,000km. How many k's are on your car. You either have many problems with your car or you're over paranoid with it and you finding problems which aren't actually there.

I've heard of the Gatorback being the best on the 2ZZ. Although I haven't tried any coz my car has only done 70,000km. How many k's are on your car. You either have many problems with your car or you're over paranoid with it and you finding problems which aren't actually there.

mate here is audible squeeling on acceleration when ac is on. Mechanic also said on last service that the belt is cracked but should make it until next service

It will be fine. It's not the same as asking for NGK spark plugs and getting something you've never heard of before. At very worst, you'll have to change it sooner than the genuine article, meh. Probably not though.

If you're paranoid about the size, just take your old belt off and compare it. Your old one will be slightly bigger because it'll be stretched, but you will know if something's amiss. Just make sure you tighten it properly and you're right to go.

update: i was looking at the bosch website catalogue expecting the most updated version but they only had the 08/09 catalogue. The new 10/11 catalogue doesn't list neither sportivo/celica 2ZZ engine drive belts. Means bosch don't make it anymore :(

i didn't assume all quality parts come from japan, i just surprised to find a different brand other than the one i was expecting, hence asking if any of u guys experienced this brand before.

if worse comes to worse i'll just buy the OEM part from toyota

i didn't assume all quality parts come from japan, i just surprised to find a different brand other than the one i was expecting, hence asking if any of u guys experienced this brand before.

I don't think the OEM option should be your 'worse comes to worse' option. Should be one of your better options. By using an aftermarket drive belt are you expecting a performance increase or something?

Don't most drive belt changes occur during a major service (100k km)?

I don't think the OEM option should be your 'worse comes to worse' option. Should be one of your better options. By using an aftermarket drive belt are you expecting a performance increase or something?

Don't most drive belt changes occur during a major service (100k km)?

i was meaning that "worse comes to worse" when it doesn't fit or something, not saying that the OEM is worse out of the lot lol

no not expecting an increase in performance

yeah it does need to be changed at 100,000km, but unfortunately for my case its cracked and needs replacing sooner than usual :(

lucky this ones made in japan, its printed on the belt! =)
i didn't assume all quality parts come from japan

You seemed to be stating that the fact that your belt was made in Japan maked it better than the Chinese or Taiwanese-made belts

lucky this ones made in japan, its printed on the belt! =)
i didn't assume all quality parts come from japan

You seemed to be stating that the fact that your belt was made in Japan maked it better than the Chinese or Taiwanese-made belts

yeah i did, i would be more inclined to trust japan made products, but it was from a brand i didnt hear about before so MAYBE it would be better if it was... forgive my ignorance. But since cha5a said brand doesn't mean anything, i'll just give it a go.

in the end its a drive belt... if i was going for more parts like alternators, brake fluids, coolants etc. i would stick to the OEMs.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, with the drivebelt for the 2zz engines, do u just loosen 2 bolts and take the belt off? tried to take it off on the weekend but i think i was tryin to spin the wrong one.

the manual shows that its not even on a pulley, but it didn't make it clear,

cheers guys

2zzvbelt.jpg

You'll need a 19 mm spanner to take the load off of the tensioner.

Doing the accessory belt (it's not a drive belt) take the drivers side wheel off and the under panel so you can see the crank pulley; it's much easier from underneath to feed the new belt on. No bolts or nuts need to be undone other than for the guard and wheel removal.

2zzvbelt.jpg

You'll need a 19 mm spanner to take the load off of the tensioner.

Doing the accessory belt (it's not a drive belt) take the drivers side wheel off and the under panel so you can see the crank pulley; it's much easier from underneath to feed the new belt on. No bolts or nuts need to be undone other than for the guard and wheel removal.

yeah that's the same picture i was looking at. that's strange... i thought it was called the drive belt, as said in the manual and the picture where its from... confused much? :blink:

yeah that's the same picture i was looking at. that's strange... i thought it was called the drive belt, as said in the manual and the picture where its from... confused much? :blink:

It's just a legacy name, I know people who still call them fan belts even though 99% of cars have had thermofans or hydraulic fans for the last 20 years. And Commodore owners referring to even the shortest alternator belt as the "serpentine belt" because they're used to one long belt that goes halfway around the world and drives every single accesory pulley with 6 tensioners and idlers (like the 2GR actually, come to think of it)

oh ok lol, my dad still calls it a fan belt, (he hasn't owned a car pro 1981 LOL:D)

and does the 2zz have the automatic belt tensioner?

Don't worry, it's like how everyone still calls the cam cover the rocker cover (except in our case the 2zz still has rockers).

And yes.