Strange noise before 1st gear change

Auri

Hi,

I have bought a new 2010 Aurion AT-X recently and I was pretty happy with the overall quality and performance untill recently that I have noticed strange noise everytime when I reverse the car and go forward and before the 1st gear change I will hear a clounk noise coming from the front end of the car? The gear change is still very smooth is just that when I reverse and go forward the gear seems o be playing the weird sound. Do any of you guys experiencing the same problem? I did report the problem to Toyota when they did the first inspection but was told that is because the gearbox is not beded in yet and I should let them know if the problem still exist at next service which won't be due for another 5 months. Anyway, what do you guys think? Cheers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to rule this out if this is not the case... are you referring to what is described here (this was from the Kluger forum, but same deal):

A couple of times now I have started up from cold and tried to select reverse, but there is a delay then a loud metalic clang as it finaly falls into reverse.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Automatic I would assume. Have you payed attention to the revs the engine is at when you do this? Are you selecting reverse within 10 seconds of a complete cold start? If so, wait about 20-30 seconds until the revs drop down to 1000RPM (or very close to) and then try selecting reverse. See if it does it much smoother then.

So in other words, when you experience this issue, how high are your engine revs?

Just to rule this out if this is not the case... are you referring to what is described here (this was from the Kluger forum, but same deal):

A couple of times now I have started up from cold and tried to select reverse, but there is a delay then a loud metalic clang as it finaly falls into reverse.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Automatic I would assume. Have you payed attention to the revs the engine is at when you do this? Are you selecting reverse within 10 seconds of a complete cold start? If so, wait about 20-30 seconds until the revs drop down to 1000RPM (or very close to) and then try selecting reverse. See if it does it much smoother then.

So in other words, when you experience this issue, how high are your engine revs?

Nah. No noise when selecting reverse gear. The noise appears before the 1st gear change only when I reverse the car first and drive forward.

Nah. No noise when selecting reverse gear. The noise appears before the 1st gear change only when I reverse the car first and drive forward.

I know this will also sound stupid, but are you bringing the car to a complete stop before you put it into drive?

I know this will also sound stupid, but are you bringing the car to a complete stop before you put it into drive?

haha.....YES and always. I reckon the noise may have something to do with the gradient sensor??

Dude I know exactly what you're talking about!

Most of the time (not always) there is that annoying clunk! And no, it doesn't always happen for cold starts, it happens normally. Never got around to telling Toyota though, just ignored it..my cars done 40000km's, so I'm pretty sure the gearbox would've been "beded" lol.

Well then in that case, a harsh shift from N -> D (which is also applicable in you case) can be one of the following:

1. Valve body assembly

2. C1 accumulator

3. One-way clutch No. 1 (F1)

4. Clutch No. 1 (C1)

5. Shift solenoid valve (SL1)1

6. TCM (Transmission Control Module)

Possibilities 2 through to 5 require the transmission to come apart to test for proper operation, so unless you were to go to that extent, then I guess it may be one of those things that if it doesn't happen too often, then you may need to ride it out.

That is a weird issue. I still don't quite understand. But from what I understand so far:

1. You throw her into reverse

2. After you finished reversing, you throw her into D

3. In the first gear change (once you start driving) you hear a weird noise from the front?

EDIT: He says its a clunk noise, it can't be the ABS check, can it?

Edited by unique

That is a weird issue. I still don't quite understand. But from what I understand so far:

1. You throw her into reverse

2. After you finished reversing, you throw her into D

3. In the first gear change (once you start driving) you hear a weird noise from the front?

Yes, you are spot on. The noise don't just appear once I start driving, it appears just right before the first gear change.

Man... sometimes the most simplest of answers always seems to escape me.

Auri, does this sound like what you are hearing:

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:
When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.

Auri, does this sound like what you are hearing:

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:
When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.

that make sense. But why is it only making noise when I reverse the car first and drive forward (eg reverse from garage, reverse from car space) not when I select drive straight away after I start the car?

that make sense. But why is it only making noise when I reverse the car first and drive forward (eg reverse from garage, reverse from car space) not when I select drive straight away after I start the car?

Maybe to try to listen very very closely next time you start your car then select drive afterwards.

Maybe to try to listen very very closely next time you start your car then select drive afterwards.

thanks guys. Does this problem happened to all Aurion or just few unlucky one?

It's in the manual for the simple reason that all of them operate the same.

I would be more concerned if it didn't make any noise.

It's in the manual for the simple reason that all of them operate the same.

I would be more concerned if it didn't make any noise.

I had a good read of the owners manual and couldn't find the same contents as refer in the above post. Can anyone point out where I can find it. Cheers

I had a good read of the owners manual and couldn't find the same contents as refer in the above post. Can anyone point out where I can find it. Cheers

I don't have my owners manual on me at the moment (as it is in a box being sent with freight from my last job), so don't quote me on this.

I am fairly sure this is contained in the owners manual, but I only really skimmed over it. It is definitely contained in the service manual though, which is where that quote came from.

Look, if you are concerned that the ABS actuator is making a sound on your car during the initial startup, then don't be. It is mean to be there. As the above quote from the service manual states "this is not a malfunction".

I notice this sound as well.

but for me it only happens after i start my car in the morning, reverse out of the driveway and start driving down the road. relatively slowly, i'm talking about 10-15kmph and before it changes into second gear i hear that "clunk!" noise. but its only in the morning, not during the day when i'm at work or anything...

I notice this sound as well.

but for me it only happens after i start my car in the morning, reverse out of the driveway and start driving down the road. relatively slowly, i'm talking about 10-15kmph and before it changes into second gear i hear that "clunk!" noise. but its only in the morning, not during the day when i'm at work or anything...

Just to further post observations here, this ABS check is usually its loudest the first time it does it for the day (basically when the engine is cold). Any other time, it is less noticeable, but you should still be able to hear it if you intentionally listen for it.

Haha this thing was sort of annoying me and i actually thought it was a defect.

When i told the Toyota test driver dude he told me it's the ABS check, but i didn't believe him for some reason lol. But if the manual says so!

Just to clear up: My car also makes a Clunk noise when i start it up and drive off. The timing seems to always be spot on, like 10 or so seconds of driving.

So i guess nothing to worry about here!

:lol:

Here it is guys, I took ten minutes to find it in the book, then scan it then upload on here: ;)

scan0001nh.jpg

DJKOR: you are a legend.

Ok.. I tried to listen to it just now when I used my car. The engine wasn't that cold as the revs wasn't that high. I DIDN'T hear it. =(. Or Maybe I missed it... How loud are we talkin about? I've pressed the brake really hard a couple of emergency times, and I noticed the clunk sound that it made. But this thingy, none.. =(

:lol:

Here it is guys, I took ten minutes to find it in the book, then scan it then upload on here: ;)

scan0001nh.jpg

DJKOR: you are a legend.

DJKOR? WHAT THE #$#??! I'm the one that did the scanning of the document and thought of it being the ABS check first and DJK gets the credit? You a-HOLE! :P :lol: