red "charge" warning light on dash board

EK1

hey,

for a day now the red "charge" light on my car dash board has lit up. im wondering what could be the cause. the battery is only a year old and i tried leaving the engine on for about 20minutes (so the battery can recharge) for several occasions but the red "charge" light still stays on. thanks

note i drive a stock 1989 camry.

Edited by EK1

hey,

for a day now the red "charge" light on my car dash board has lit up. im wondering what could be the cause. the battery is only a year old and i tried leaving the engine on for about 20minutes (so the battery can recharge) for several occasions but the red "charge" light still stays on. thanks

note i drive a stock 1989 camry.

alternator is the problem, not charging your battery

As said, it would be your alternator. The 'charge' light indicating an issue with the charging circuit.

Given the age of the car, one common cause to get that light is your carbon brushes in the alternator may need replacing. Nothing big, they are a wearing component. Shouldn't cost much and is only a few minutes to change.

Happened to my ford laser the other day, had a look under the bonnet and found that the belt for the alternator had snapped off completly. Half way driving home the charge light and brake light both came on.

So check your belts first as well

As said, it would be your alternator. The 'charge' light indicating an issue with the charging circuit.

Given the age of the car, one common cause to get that light is your carbon brushes in the alternator may need replacing. Nothing big, they are a wearing component. Shouldn't cost much and is only a few minutes to change.

how do i tell if the carbon brushes in the alternator need replacing? what do they look like btw. i dont know how to identify them atm.

Happened to my ford laser the other day, had a look under the bonnet and found that the belt for the alternator had snapped off completly. Half way driving home the charge light and brake light both came on.

So check your belts first as well

is it the belt on the left of the alternator. i had a quick look and it looks like its starting to snap (tiny tear). how much did it cost you to replace the belt for the alternator?

Edited by EK1