Bad teeth on a screw

JT3

Hey there guys. I was trying to clean my ICV on my celica the other weekend but while trying to remove it from the TB, I have seem to damaged one of the screws, meaning that I can no longer take it apart.

Is there a way to rectify this problem? or would I probably need to take it somewhere to get it fixed and dismantled. If so would just any mechanics be able to do it or are there any places that you guys know of?

Thanks

Did you use an impact driver? If you use a normal screw driver the end result is a stripped head.

I personally hate helicoils and the like, but they are much easier than my method and probably worth a try as a first timer.

I prefer to drill the offending bolt/screw out. This requires a drill press (not a hand drill!), a vice to mount the item square to the drill press, then proceed to drill through the centre of the screw/bolt. Go up in drill bit sizes and stop before you start to damage the thread in the throttle body. This method can stuff the thread up a bit so you will need a tap to clean up the thread afterwards; too much damage and you will need to tap it out slightly larger and use a larger screw.

Otherwise you could take it to a diesel mechanic, surely they could do it for $20 or some exchange of alcohol.

Did you use an impact driver? If you use a normal screw driver the end result is a stripped head.

I personally hate helicoils and the like, but they are much easier than my method and probably worth a try as a first timer.

I prefer to drill the offending bolt/screw out. This requires a drill press (not a hand drill!), a vice to mount the item square to the drill press, then proceed to drill through the centre of the screw/bolt. Go up in drill bit sizes and stop before you start to damage the thread in the throttle body. This method can stuff the thread up a bit so you will need a tap to clean up the thread afterwards; too much damage and you will need to tap it out slightly larger and use a larger screw.

Otherwise you could take it to a diesel mechanic, surely they could do it for $20 or some exchange of alcohol.

Ahh I was just using an ordinary screw driver to remove the screw.Two of them were able to come out but it was just this third one that got forked up :(

Sorry guys, I think I got the term wrong. It's actually the top bit, where the you place the screwdriver onto the screw.