Flushing oil

hey guys, i read this thread from the forums about flushing oil

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=24229

when it talks about flushing it said that u can use cheap super market oil + flushing liquid to flush the oil out. In woolworths i can only find the 20W50 oils. would this be ok to use or i have to use the 10W30 oils to flush?

i'm asking becuz i cant seem to find any flushing oil from the auto shops (either out of stock or don't have them) :angry:

cheers

when it talks about flushing it said that u can use cheap super market oil + flushing liquid to flush the oil out. In woolworths i can only find the 20W50 oils. would this be ok to use or i have to use the 10W30 oils to flush?

i'm asking becuz i cant seem to find any flushing oil from the auto shops (either out of stock or don't have them) :angry:

cheers

Use Liquid Moly engine flush.

cheers

Use Liquid Moly engine flush.

alright i'll search for this and give it a try

cheers

cheers

Spoke to Toyota dealership service dept: about this. He told me what they do is add a engine flushing liquid (can be bought from Autobarn or any of the similar outlets under IE Nulon and various other brands) into the oil to be drained, runs the engine for 10 minutes or so drains the oil and then refills with new oil as is usually done. Seems easy enough!

cheers

Spoke to Toyota dealership service dept: about this. He told me what they do is add a engine flushing liquid (can be bought from Autobarn or any of the similar outlets under IE Nulon and various other brands) into the oil to be drained, runs the engine for 10 minutes or so drains the oil and then refills with new oil as is usually done. Seems easy enough!

This how Ive done it in the past. Nulon engine flush ftw.

hey guys, thanks for the replies. but what i wanted to know is not how u do it, but rather if i used cheap oil that has 20W50 rating, would it be alright to use that with the flushing liquid or do i have to get the same rating as the oil i'm currently using (10W30)?

correct me if i'm wrong but i always thought this is better than just chucking the flushing liquid into dirty oil to flush and drain

cheers

Edited by Kenshin X

hey guys, thanks for the replies. but what i wanted to know is not how u do it, but rather if i used cheap oil that has 20W50 rating, would it be alright to use that with the flushing liquid or do i have to get the same rating as the oil i'm currently using (10W30)?

correct me if i'm wrong but i always thought this is better than just chucking the flushing liquid into dirty oil to flush and drain

cheers

What you suggest has its merits and may look cleaner but particularly with cheap oil its doughtful that it will flush out what needs flushing out, the grimy bits that need to be dissolved and removed. Cost of the Nulon engine flush is around $10, perhaps if you add this to the cheap oil you would have the best of both worlds. For flushing thinner is better.

Edited by peregrine

cheers

You should'nt really be flushing your engine unless there is something majorly wrong with it (ie. filled it up with diesel instead of petrol). As you flush your engine, the materials you use to flush it with, may loosen any particles that may have help seal off any leaks on rubber seals or dislodging saturated oil sludge back through the engine that may end up blocking valves, etc. Therefore, causing more damage than good.

What's your reason to flush it anyway? I know for a fact that the top vehicle manufacturing companies do not recommend engine flushes for any reason unless your engine, unless it has a severe problem like the one mentioned above, etc.

You should'nt really be flushing your engine

I'm with this; flushing just ads an extra unnecessary cost.

For example if you had Castrol in your engine, then you add some no name oil from Woolies to 'flush' it, then putting Castrol back in. Are you really helping things by replacing the quality oil that is already coating everything in the engine with the no name stuff?

Ninja edit: changed oil brand to same as forum sponsor

cheers

You should'nt really be flushing your engine unless there is something majorly wrong with it (ie. filled it up with diesel instead of petrol). As you flush your engine, the materials you use to flush it with, may loosen any particles that may have help seal off any leaks on rubber seals or dislodging saturated oil sludge back through the engine that may end up blocking valves, etc. Therefore, causing more damage than good.

What's your reason to flush it anyway? I know for a fact that the top vehicle manufacturing companies do not recommend engine flushes for any reason unless your engine, unless it has a severe problem like the one mentioned above, etc.

when i changed the oil last time, it was pretty dark. the next service the oil was alittle better, so i thought i'd give it once a year to keep the insides nice and clean?

The use of high detergent engine oils negates the need for flushing, providing they are changed at appropriate intervals. Usually oils with a Diesel rating as well as petrol is suitable

I generally only flush when changing from synthetic back to mineral

Note on my car 1999 Vienta serviced by dealers since new. they used engine flush run for 10 minutes prior to changing the oil using Magnatec oil a semi synthetic high detergent oil. At 175000+Ks engine still like new so I'll keep it that way, although considering changing to full synthetic. If car has not been treated to proper care then changing procedures can possibly have a bad consequence. For the sake of an extra $20 or so a year, What the hell!!!

when i changed the oil last time, it was pretty dark. the next service the oil was alittle better, so i thought i'd give it once a year to keep the insides nice and clean?

Well even if you kept the service interval the same, depending on how you've driven the car etc will impact on the degradation of the oil. As some of the others mentioned, I'm not a believer in flushing the oil regularly...

The reason why you see that your engine oil is dark, is because it is doing it's job in suspending any loose particles from being saturated.

It may also mean that your due for an oil change (smell and feel the oil from both the dipstick and on top of the engine - unscrew the oil cap). If you change your oil every 5,000kms or according to the manufacturer's recommended service schedule, you should never ever have to flush your engine...ever!

But if your still adamant in doing an engine flush, I would recommend in getting an oil analysis done first to see if you really need too.

FYI: I also have an EK4 Honda Civic, purchased new in 1997, 235,000 kms on the clock, engine runs smoothly except for the chirping noise due to engine wear. Serviced regularly at Honda and a family friend who is a mechanic. Never ever had a mechanical problem at all... except for rear tail lights being replaced and getting the aircon re-gased. If I was too flush this engine now, in my opinion, all hell will break lose and wreak havoc in the engine.

"The problem with flushing the engine is that even when you put new oil in to lubricate the components that need them there are some areas that the oil cannot get to, that the solvent has now taken away or seeped out of tight spaces. When your engine is built in the factory they use assembly lube on all the parts (bearing journals, etc) before the engine is assembled. This is to prevent damage on the first start up. These are areas where oil, as I said, cannot get if you just fill the crank case with oil. Remember, oil is viscous, and in many cases the tolerances between certain surfaces is in the thousandths of an inch (eg. .005"). On startup, there is a brief moment where the oil pump is not primed, and thus not squirting oild into those areas where it is needed most. Oil left there during a previous run is important in that it protects the engine from damage when you start it up again. On a NEW startup, there is no oil in there at all. And as said, if you remove that with solvents... the engine is going to be toast in no time."

http://digg.com/autos/Never_Get_an_Engine_Flush_Here_s_Why

The reason why you see that your engine oil is dark, is because it is doing it's job in suspending any loose particles from being saturated.

It may also mean that your due for an oil change (smell and feel the oil from both the dipstick and on top of the engine - unscrew the oil cap). If you change your oil every 5,000kms or according to the manufacturer's recommended service schedule, you should never ever have to flush your engine...ever!

But if your still adamant in doing an engine flush, I would recommend in getting an oil analysis done first to see if you really need too.

FYI: I also have an EK4 Honda Civic, purchased new in 1997, 235,000 kms on the clock, engine runs smoothly except for the chirping noise due to engine wear. Serviced regularly at Honda and a family friend who is a mechanic. Never ever had a mechanical problem at all... except for rear tail lights being replaced and getting the aircon re-gased. If I was too flush this engine now, in my opinion, all hell will break lose and wreak havoc in the engine.

"The problem with flushing the engine is that even when you put new oil in to lubricate the components that need them there are some areas that the oil cannot get to, that the solvent has now taken away or seeped out of tight spaces. When your engine is built in the factory they use assembly lube on all the parts (bearing journals, etc) before the engine is assembled. This is to prevent damage on the first start up. These are areas where oil, as I said, cannot get if you just fill the crank case with oil. Remember, oil is viscous, and in many cases the tolerances between certain surfaces is in the thousandths of an inch (eg. .005"). On startup, there is a brief moment where the oil pump is not primed, and thus not squirting oild into those areas where it is needed most. Oil left there during a previous run is important in that it protects the engine from damage when you start it up again. On a NEW startup, there is no oil in there at all. And as said, if you remove that with solvents... the engine is going to be toast in no time."

http://digg.com/autos/Never_Get_an_Engine_Flush_Here_s_Why

yeah i heard about deposits building up in engines helping to seal up the rings and such, and when these deposits are washed away, then it starts to burn more oil becuz of oil leaking thru them. I do change the oil every 5000 but this time i think i'll wait abit longer ~6000 just to be consistent with the ODO. thanks for clearing this up guys.

cheers