got me new sportivo

Hey guys,

after 2 months of searching, ive finally bought a stivo..

she's my silver bullet..

but shes got some mechanical faults.. nothin serious from my understanding.. (dont really know that much bout cars..)

have been on the forum and ive read most of the pinned topics and frequenctly asked questions.. but still a little confused..

asking for a helping hand and idea..

these are the problems;

-wearing on shock absorbers.

(does this have anything to do with lowering the vehicle? or is that only to do with the springs etc?)

i want to lower the car, has that got anything to do with the shock absorbers? or is that purely coilovers/springs?

-passed a alternator output test on day of inspection,however corrosion build up on battery clamps is a indication of possible wearing on alternator.

(the car has 1 amps connected the speakers and one amp connected the sub.. i think the alternator is overworking due to the sound system, should i get a bigger battery? how do i fix this?

-wearing is evident on clutch. (everything on the car is stock, does that mean i have a heavy duty sports clutch? or should i go out n buy a extry heavy duty sports clutch? [as the c-one is too expensive])

-corrosion on battery clamps and aged battery.

again, due to the sound system.

-wheels and brake pads need changing.

will upgrade wheels at 90k service.

I'm thinking of taking it to a toyota dealer and getting the them to fix everything when i have my 90k service, but i'm worried that they'll replace everything with non sports gear..

could you guys please let me know your thoughts as i don't know that much bout cars..

thanks in advance! :D :D

This might help a little....

Brake pads - Toyota charges $170-$175 per pair of pads and installation. If you happen to know a mechanic you can pick up the same pads for 'TRADE PRICE' and have someone install them. This way you can save a lot of money since Toyota charges too much, + you can get the TRD pads much cheaper elsewhere...

Battery costs like $150 - try the 'Century' battery 'NS60LS <- or something similar. link

tocau sportivo battery link

Oh, and "passed alternator test on day of inspection"

by that i'm guessing you had someone do a REVS check on your car?

Congratz on your new car!! :yahoo:

Chrono.

Edited by Chrono Trigger

Hey guys,

after 2 months of searching, ive finally bought a stivo..

she's my silver bullet..

but shes got some mechanical faults.. nothin serious from my understanding.. (dont really know that much bout cars..)

have been on the forum and ive read most of the pinned topics and frequenctly asked questions.. but still a little confused..

asking for a helping hand and idea..

these are the problems;

-wearing on shock absorbers.

(does this have anything to do with lowering the vehicle? or is that only to do with the springs etc?)

i want to lower the car, has that got anything to do with the shock absorbers? or is that purely coilovers/springs?

If you want to lower the vehicle, get new shocks. Either Koni or KYB make affordable shocks depending on what your after. Then just add lowered springs to that. If your shocks are leaking you'll need shocks anyway.

-passed a alternator output test on day of inspection,however corrosion build up on battery clamps is a indication of possible wearing on alternator.

(the car has 1 amps connected the speakers and one amp connected the sub.. i think the alternator is overworking due to the sound system, should i get a bigger battery? how do i fix this?

You'll know for sure whether or not the audio system is drawing too much juice when at night your lights dim when a bass note hits. I highly doubt this. Should be no probs here.

-wearing is evident on clutch. (everything on the car is stock, does that mean i have a heavy duty sports clutch? or should i go out n buy a extry heavy duty sports clutch? [as the c-one is too expensive])

Would be factory clutch. Doubt that it is a HD clutch. You won't had a need for a extra heavy duty clutch unless your car is pushing alot more ponies lol. If it is slipping replace it with a HD clutch (eg. Exedy or the like). This will cost a bit though.

-corrosion on battery clamps and aged battery.

again, due to the sound system.

Corrosion is normal. Just get some anti corrosion gel on the terminals. I don't think the audio has anything to do with it.

-wheels and brake pads need changing.

will upgrade wheels at 90k service.

Are wheels a mechanical problem? :blink:

If pads need changing then replace them lol. Look in the suspension and brakes section for part numbers.

I'm thinking of taking it to a toyota dealer and getting the them to fix everything when i have my 90k service, but i'm worried that they'll replace everything with non sports gear..

When you say 'replace everything with non sports gear', what do you mean? Are you worried that they might put on the normal Corolla parts? If that's the case thats one crappy Toyota dealer :lol: It's in your log book as to the difference so they should follow that. Most of the parts between the ZZE122 and the ZZE123 are interchangeable anyways and won't make a diff to performance or whatever.

could you guys please let me know your thoughts as i don't know that much bout cars..

thanks in advance! :D :D

Brake pads - Toyota charges $170-$175 per pair of pads and installation. If you happen to know a mechanic you can pick up the same pads for 'TRADE PRICE' and have someone install them. This way you can save a lot of money since Toyota charges too much, + you can get the TRD pads much cheaper elsewhere...

Battery costs like $150 - try the 'Century' battery 'NS60LS <- or something similar. link

Chrono.

WTF???? 170 to 175 dollars PER PAIR of brake pads??? i got TRD ones on ebay fronts and rears for just over 100 bucks.

fronts:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genuine-TRD-Black-S...=item3efc9159eb

rears:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genuine-TRD-Black-s...=item3efc9159f6

they work really well, just bedded in the fronts this morning and drives great! no more shuddering on the steering when braking :)

as and1 said clean those terminals and put grease or anti corrosion spray on.

what was your alternator reading at? if its around 13V +/- 0.5 to 1.0 should be good. i'm running a computer, 1 sub, my iphone charger, HIDs and still the alternator holds. I believe the output is like 110 amps? (correct me if I'm wrong) so there should be plenty of power running through your car. is the lights dimming when the bass is high?

how old is the battery?

evident wearing on the clutch? is it slipping or revving its head off as you trying to accelerate with the clutch fully disengaged? stock clutches should feel pretty light. HD clutches are a bit more heavy to depress.

as for your shocks... did the previous owner lower it before and then sold it to u with stock springs? if so the shock may leak depending on how long its been lowered on standard shocks. a better way is to bounce all four corners of your car. If any of them keep bouncing after one cycle, your shocks have had it. SILVABULLIT has got some awesome springs/coilovers for the ZZE12x, just give him a pm :)

did i miss anything? lol

cheers

Chrono.

WTF???? 170 to 175 dollars PER PAIR of brake pads??? i got TRD ones on ebay fronts and rears for just over 100 bucks.

fronts:

rears:

they work really well, just bedded in the fronts this morning and drives great! no more shuddering on the steering when braking :)

what was your alternator reading at? if its around 13V +/- 0.5 to 1.0 should be good. i'm running a computer, 1 sub, my iphone charger, HIDs and still the alternator holds. I believe the output is like 110 amps? (correct me if I'm wrong) so there should be plenty of power running through your car. is the lights dimming when the bass is high?

how old is the battery?

evident wearing on the clutch? is it slipping or revving its head off as you trying to accelerate with the clutch fully disengaged? stock clutches should feel pretty light. HD clutches are a bit more heavy to depress.

as for your shocks... did the previous owner lower it before and then sold it to u with stock springs? if so the shock may leak depending on how long its been lowered on standard shocks. a better way is to bounce all four corners of your car. If any of them keep bouncing after one cycle, your shocks have had it. SILVABULLIT has got some awesome springs/coilovers for the ZZE12x, just give him a pm :)

did i miss anything? lol

cheers

Obviously you didn't read what i wrote <_<

that's what Toyota quoted me [Terry Shields] and tht;s why i said to buy them elsewhere....

Would be factory clutch. Doubt that it is a HD clutch. You won't had a need for a extra heavy duty clutch unless your car is pushing alot more ponies lol. If it is slipping replace it with a HD clutch (eg. Exedy or the like). This will cost a bit though.

To further this, a NA 2zz won't make enough torque to cause the clutch to slip. If it is slipping it's either worn, glazed or not in properly.

Or the previous driver can't drive for **** =P

Power doesn't really damage clutches, torque does it for you that's why clutch are rated by torque and pressure rather than by power. If its not in properly though, I'd expect more than just a little problem XD

When you say evident on clutch, what signs are given to you?

Edited by DreadAngel

thanks guys, that helped alot.

im not sure on all the answers... i got a pre-purchase mechanic to inspect it and he sent me a detailed report - wasnt quite sure what to expect :P

brake pad problem, definitely will buy the trd pads from ebay.. but then comes the problem of getting them put on, know any good mechanics in sydney anyone? thanks for the link!

in terms of the sound system, ive checked that the lights don't dim when i put the base up.. so not sure what it is.. from the sounds of it, might just be corrosion..

and1, not sure what i ment by the toyota dealer replacing things with non sports gear. please ignore that part.

how do i check the alternator reading? im assuming i have to buy an alternator reader of a sort, not sure what my alternator reading is currently.. i don't know how old the battery is unfortunately.. but maybe i should change it anyway?

shocks, im not sure what the previous owner did with the car.. from my understand, the wife was driving the car, however, after having kids they need to upgrade.

there's little scratches all over the car.. didnt realise this till i saw it properly in the light today.. does anyone know a good detailer that can smooth everything out/fix the scratches?

clutch, ive test driven 3 sportivos. this is the only car that has a friction point really high up - as in, i need to lift my foot half way off the clutch for it to connect.. the other sportivos friction points where quite low - as in, lifting my foot off the clutch a little and the car would move.

it feels like the clutch is worn. as in, it doesnt really catch, so im assuming its slipping.. - sorry, i didnt learn how to drive manual.. kinda taught myself.. but im thinking of changing the clutch to a exedy HD sports clutch just to be safe.

does that help?

does anyone know any good mechanics in sydney that i can take my car to get done?

thanks again! will upload a few photos tomorrow!

Chrono.

fronts:

rears:

how old is the battery?

did i miss anything? lol

cheers

Obviously you didn't read what i wrote <_<

that's what Toyota quoted me [Terry Shields] and tht;s why i said to buy them elsewhere....

my bad lol :rolleyes:

im not sure on all the answers... i got a pre-purchase mechanic to inspect it and he sent me a detailed report - wasnt quite sure what to expect :P

brake pad problem, definitely will buy the trd pads from ebay.. but then comes the problem of getting them put on, know any good mechanics in sydney anyone? thanks for the link!

in terms of the sound system, ive checked that the lights don't dim when i put the base up.. so not sure what it is.. from the sounds of it, might just be corrosion..

and1, not sure what i ment by the toyota dealer replacing things with non sports gear. please ignore that part.

how do i check the alternator reading? im assuming i have to buy an alternator reader of a sort, not sure what my alternator reading is currently.. i don't know how old the battery is unfortunately.. but maybe i should change it anyway?

shocks, im not sure what the previous owner did with the car.. from my understand, the wife was driving the car, however, after having kids they need to upgrade.

there's little scratches all over the car.. didnt realise this till i saw it properly in the light today.. does anyone know a good detailer that can smooth everything out/fix the scratches?

clutch, ive test driven 3 sportivos. this is the only car that has a friction point really high up - as in, i need to lift my foot half way off the clutch for it to connect.. the other sportivos friction points where quite low - as in, lifting my foot off the clutch a little and the car would move.

it feels like the clutch is worn. as in, it doesnt really catch, so im assuming its slipping.. - sorry, i didnt learn how to drive manual.. kinda taught myself.. but im thinking of changing the clutch to a exedy HD sports clutch just to be safe.

does that help?

does anyone know any good mechanics in sydney that i can take my car to get done?

ahh female driver eh? probably rode the clutch LOL.

sorry mate can't help u with the mechanic installing the pads, someone will tell u in time though :P

check the alternator with a voltmeter, put it on 20V reading and cross them on the battery while the car is idling WHEN WARM. that way u will get the idle at its lowest (~800rpm) and hence the more accurate reading. If its too high (14V+) or too low (-10V), your alternators stuffed. If it fluctuates too much, your alternators stuffed.

The only time when battery needs changing is when say u driven the car and then turned off for 3 or 4 hours and tried to start again, engine won't start.

On the battery, there should be some kind of date thats stamped when the battery was installed. if its more than 3 years, change it. Don't need a high powered one, just use the one recommended. Alternators job to regulate the voltage, you're not running a super computer so don't worry :)

Your clutch may need to be adjusted so friction point is lower. My friction point is pretty low as well but i thought this was an indication that it needed to be changed soon and not the other way around? (ie friction point higher up)?

also i thought hydrolic clutches can't be adjusted? (correct if wrong guys)

do the test on the shocks tomorrow, push/sit on it and jump off whatever. if it bounces more than one cycle ur shocks are stuffed. if the previous owners didn't lower it, shocks still should be good.

about those scratches, u might wanna read this thread

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=18081

followed the steps shown here last week (spent bloody 7 hours of my life) but its worth it, you can't get the big scratches out but the rest of the car shines like new :D

good luck mate, hit lift yet? :P

does that help?

ahh female driver eh? probably rode the clutch LOL.

sorry mate can't help u with the mechanic installing the pads, someone will tell u in time though :P

check the alternator with a voltmeter, put it on 20V reading and cross them on the battery while the car is idling WHEN WARM. that way u will get the idle at its lowest (~800rpm) and hence the more accurate reading. If its too high (14V+) or too low (-10V), your alternators stuffed. If it fluctuates too much, your alternators stuffed.

The only time when battery needs changing is when say u driven the car and then turned off for 3 or 4 hours and tried to start again, engine won't start.

On the battery, there should be some kind of date thats stamped when the battery was installed. if its more than 3 years, change it. Don't need a high powered one, just use the one recommended. Alternators job to regulate the voltage, you're not running a super computer so don't worry :)

Your clutch may need to be adjusted so friction point is lower. My friction point is pretty low as well but i thought this was an indication that it needed to be changed soon and not the other way around? (ie friction point higher up)?

also i thought hydrolic clutches can't be adjusted? (correct if wrong guys)

do the test on the shocks tomorrow, push/sit on it and jump off whatever. if it bounces more than one cycle ur shocks are stuffed. if the previous owners didn't lower it, shocks still should be good.

about those scratches, u might wanna read this thread

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=18081

followed the steps shown here last week (spent bloody 7 hours of my life) but its worth it, you can't get the big scratches out but the rest of the car shines like new :D

good luck mate, hit lift yet? :P

thanks for the information. will definitely go to k-mart or suoer cheap auto or similiar tomorrow to check it out..

have no hit lift yet.. the clutch doesnt catch properly.. the revs drop too quick and the car jolts like crazy casue the clutch doesnt really catch..

think ill buy the clutch and breaks and then do the full 90k service at a dealership.. hopefully they wont charge me too much to change it all..

wheres the next meet in nsw? i cant find it in the forum..

If you buy your own pads - on average at a proper shop it costs about $20 each corner to put them on...

but since you're doing a lot of other things to the car maybe it'll be cheaper to do it all at one place...

I'm also looking to go to my first meet.

The next NSW Sydney meet is March 27

all the details are there...

goodluck

just went to my mechanic and he said it would cost me $1500 to put on front and back springs + shocks

and it would cost $1500 for a exedy hd clutch installation..

both these quotes include parts..

just wanted to find out if this is generally the cost? as i think its might expensive..

just went to my mechanic and he said it would cost me $1500 to put on front and back springs + shocks

and it would cost $1500 for a exedy hd clutch installation..

both these quotes include parts..

just wanted to find out if this is generally the cost? as i think its might expensive..

that's a bit pricey, i can get the clutch installed for $1,100. did the $1,500 include the brakes as well? and what brand are the shocks and springs?

keep shopping around. doing up second hand car's a bitch :(