Insurance claims

JT3

Hey guys. I gotta make a claim for my car, as some of you know, a few days ago Perth got basically sh#t on hard.

Now I have made a claim for my car. But I just realized since I got my car and insurance, I have added extra parts to the car which I don't think it's covered.

I'm with AAMI full comprehensive insurance and the car damage is only cosmetic (dents all over the car) but should I be removing these parts off so that my car safe or would it not matter for insurance purposes since it is weather damage and not at my fault at all.

I only have CAI and HID and aftermarket exhaust installed on my car.

Cheers guys.

Edited by JT3

Anything not advised won't be covered so if you've got the stock parts, best to fit them on, don't give them any sort of reason to void the insurance (probably not applicable in your case since mother nature decided to attack you guys...)

Anything not advised won't be covered so if you've got the stock parts, best to fit them on, don't give them any sort of reason to void the insurance (probably not applicable in your case since mother nature decided to attack you guys...)

Alright. Cheers. I was worried that insurance companies might be nazi's and trying to find out every reason why not to cover for my car.

Don't take my word as gospel though =P

Well put it this way, pretend Fred had an accident where he couldn't stop in time cause the person cut right in front of him (he likes to take the rear door...) if the insurance company find out that he had none approved brake lines, hasn't told them about it (braided hoses with none approved fittings) and/or detached his ABS, they could void the cover he purchased based on the fact he didn't advise them of the changes/alterations to his car.

Yeah. I decided that I'm going to remove all my parts tomorrow because I was reading on other forums that some people get their car taken away on the spot upon inspection and I don't want to lose any more money :(

I was gonna claim on insurance when i got my side skirts stolen, but when they told me that my excess would be 1200 dollars I just fixed it myself.. hunting for a new insurance company now <_<

Yeah. I decided that I'm going to remove all my parts tomorrow because I was reading on other forums that some people get their car taken away on the spot upon inspection and I don't want to lose any more money :(

for rac if its written off and its drivable you have 7 days to give it to them

I was gonna claim on insurance when i got my side skirts stolen, but when they told me that my excess would be 1200 dollars I just fixed it myself.. hunting for a new insurance company now <_<

Yeah haha. Lucky for me, I only had to pay the base excess which was $400. I'm currently with AAMI. Was recommended by a friend and it was very cheap compared to other insurance companies. Been reading up about people's experiences with different companies and seems like AAMI is like a hit and miss. Hope it's not like that in my case :(

for rac if its written off and its drivable you have 7 days to give it to them

Yeah I read that also. I read that they'll take pics of your car by the assessor and then you get 7 days to drive it. If you remove any parts which was visible in the photo then they may void your claim :unsure:

I'm trying to fix the dents myself at the moment while I wait for my windows to get put in :( Don't want my car to be a write off cos I probably won't be getting as much as I'd like for my car :(

Been reading up about people's experiences with different companies and seems like AAMI is like a hit and miss. Hope it's not like that in my case :(

They should take care of you well. I've had good experiences with them.

Yeah I read that also. I read that they'll take pics of your car by the assessor and then you get 7 days to drive it. If you remove any parts which was visible in the photo then they may void your claim :unsure:

This was one reason why I didn't want to remove anything from my car after it was assessed. Even if they don't, it was a risk I didn't want to take,

Good luck with it all mate.

Yeah haha. Lucky for me, I only had to pay the base excess which was $400. I'm currently with AAMI. Was recommended by a friend and it was very cheap compared to other insurance companies. Been reading up about people's experiences with different companies and seems like AAMI is like a hit and miss. Hope it's not like that in my case :(

Man I wouldn't my signing up with AAMI just as long as the chick on that ad is always serving, then I'd be making claims every day :lol::lol::lol:

This was one reason why I didn't want to remove anything from my car after it was assessed. Even if they don't, it was a risk I didn't want to take,

I had to act bloody fast to switch over my new wheels with the old ones just for this reason.

I don't know about other insurance companies but HBF, for anything not insured, said I can take anything I want off as long as I replace it with either what was on previously that was insured (stock or aftermarket). So if I had my old aftermarket exhaust (and could weld :P) I could of swapped it with my newer much much more expensive one.

I had to act bloody fast to switch over my new wheels with the old ones just for this reason.

I don't know about other insurance companies but HBF, for anything not insured, said I can take anything I want off as long as I replace it with either what was on previously that was insured (stock or aftermarket). So if I had my old aftermarket exhaust (and could weld :P) I could of swapped it with my newer much much more expensive one.

I didn't end up removing the parts as of yet. I'm waiting for a call back from AAMI to confirm an assessment date. Will probably remove it one or two days before.

I'm getting my windows replaced next friday so hopefully at least I can get around. I gave the car a good clean though the other day. Found out there was a heap of water under the rear seats. The water was black!!

Haha Mole; unless you're talking about a different exhaust, you would of had to come to me for your old one back? :P

Haha Mole; unless you're talking about a different exhaust, you would of had to come to me for your old one back? :P

Heh yea, forgot I sold it to you, you got it installed yet?

Wish I could of at least swapped out the PPE Header, I still got my stock one but yeah, wasn't going to happen.

Wish I could of at least swapped out the PPE Header, I still got my stock one but yeah, wasn't going to happen.

Yeah I got it installed basically the next day haha. Quite loud suprisingly.

Surprisingly? Was straight through with a weenie hotdog :lol: , if it gets a bit much, I suggest you pop either a bigger hotdog or a different mid resonator altogether, my newer setup was very similar to the old it just had a bigger mid muffler and was much better in traffic. Mind you I only did that because other people complained :P, I didn't mind it at all.

Surprisingly? Was straight through with a weenie hotdog :lol: , if it gets a bit much, I suggest you pop either a bigger hotdog or a different mid resonator altogether, my newer setup was very similar to the old it just had a bigger mid muffler and was much better in traffic. Mind you I only did that because other people complained :P, I didn't mind it at all.

yeah it's not that loud for me. I can actually drive it pretty quietly when driving by myself. Sometimes my passengers complain that it's noisy but I guess its cos more weight meaning more work needs to be done haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I got another question guys. Upon inspection, would the guys be checking if everything is working or everything is there?

Why I ask this is cos I got Alpine type S speakers which I want to keep but I don't have stock ones to replace them with.

My car is going to get written off probably next week :(

Another celica off the roads :(

sorry to hear that JT3. i think when they put it on auction they will check it to fill in the condition report. dunno if they'll blame you for missing bits though.

when mine got assessed (RAC) they didn't take any photos or notes.

Thanks for some insight chicken. Yeah I'm with AAMI and I called up yesterday. They said they're going to tow it away to assess it and if it's a write off, they'll take it away immediately.

I have taken out all my speakers and deck and will probably replace it with just a tape player or something haha. Should all be okay since I didn't mention that I had aftermarket audio system in my car.