CAI problems (stalling) on a Corolla Sportivo

I have purchased a 2nd hand Corolla Sportivo 2005 and it has a CAI intake (I believe it's a TRD CAI but do not know for certain).

The car has a problem of spluttering and stalling at low revs/ neutral/ pulling up to the lights. When the car is behaving itself the engine will idle at about 1k rpm. But when it is being temperamental it will idle very awkwardly anywhere between 750 and 500 rpm or just stall. More over the problem comes and goes, i.e. some days the car will be fine and other days it will stall as I am changing down gears.

There is also another persistant problem, which may be related, of having very low power at lower revs, i.e. taking off from 1st. The car is fine at higher revs (between 3k to 5k) but again, it's the lower revs that is causing problems.

Is the problem the CAI or is it something else?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Also, I'm new to owning a rolla, so please be patient :)

I'm no mechanic, but if I had the same problem I would be doing the following:

Try cleaning your maf sensor - there's a work shop submission here.

Reset ecu - also a work shop submission.

Clean pod air filter and ensure no cracks in rubber elbow of cai

Spray Carburettor cleaner into throttle body with engine idling.

Do iscv clean - also a work shop submission but better to get a mechanic to do it.

Replace thermostat.

Don't do this

Spray Carburettor cleaner into throttle body with engine idling.

do this.

Do iscv clean - also a work shop submission but better to get a mechanic to do it.

Could also be a leak with the hoses to do with the VSV on the CAI.

I have purchased a 2nd hand Corolla Sportivo 2005 and it has a CAI intake (I believe it's a TRD CAI but do not know for certain).

The car has a problem of spluttering and stalling at low revs/ neutral/ pulling up to the lights. When the car is behaving itself the engine will idle at about 1k rpm. But when it is being temperamental it will idle very awkwardly anywhere between 750 and 500 rpm or just stall. More over the problem comes and goes, i.e. some days the car will be fine and other days it will stall as I am changing down gears.

There is also another persistant problem, which may be related, of having very low power at lower revs, i.e. taking off from 1st. The car is fine at higher revs (between 3k to 5k) but again, it's the lower revs that is causing problems.

Is the problem the CAI or is it something else?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Also, I'm new to owning a rolla, so please be patient :)

My car does same thing when cold just needs a coupple of minutes to warm up then fine.Usually happens more when weather is cold.

if i owned a late model Corolla as i do and it stalled i wouldn't put up with it , in fact i have never put up with that on any of the cars ive owned.

are all your vacume hoses connected/vlocked off properly?

I had a quick look and it all seems to be fine. I'll be having a good check tomorrow though when I have access to my tools. I'll probably use some snoop leak detector to check seals.

Seems I have fixed the problem. I took the CAI apart and put it back together again. I also bought a filter cleaning kit which I will use next weekend.

Thanks again for the help.