DJKOR's Aurion - Rev. 2

DJKOR

• 5 weeks later...

DSC_0286.jpg

217testntune146.jpg

Well... I couldn't resist the urge and headed back out to Willowbank just earlier. All I can say is that for once, I have left the dragway satisfied.

First run of the night got me the following:

13.613s @ 102.82mph

I was quite shocked when I picked up the time slip. I had to look at my car again to make sure I picked up the right number. Sure enough, 495 was my number.

It was pretty quiet so I thought I would loop around again and give it another shot immediately after. This got me the following:

13.707s @ 101.69mph

Now from all the runs I have done, I have learnt that when it comes to a car like this where every little bit is only minor, heat soak from doing run after run really messes with your times. So I decided to sit back for 30 minutes with the hood up to let the heat soak dissipate. On returning, I got the following:

13.412s @ 104.10mph

That result put a pretty big smile on my face. That said, I repeated the above and sat for another 30 minutes before racing again. My final run of the night got me the following:

13.372s @ 104.46mph

And that was enough to make me really happy considering that engine wise, everything is stock except for my homebrew intake. So at that point, I decided to call it a day.

Times.jpg

I guess my homebrew intake hasn't make things worse at the least.

• Like 1

A low 13 second 1/4 from an essentially stock TRD?!!! Bloody hell Daryl that's incredible. Really goes to show the TRD is a great platform that makes the most out of its setup.

Has this perchance inspired you to start modding? High 12s can't be too far away....

• Like 1

Not bad, Daryl.

You're 60' 0.5 secs ahead of me, how is your wheelspin if any?

I'll be at the 1/4 this saturday, going to run my streeters and a set of slicks back to back, we'll compare notes then :)

13 out of a damn near stock trd aurion is doing well :D

... how is your wheelspin if any?

Well last night, my tires were finally being a bit more compliant. They were gripping much better than before. That said, I could not stall it up much. Only enough to prevent the inital lag if you don't. Anything more than 1500RPM and it just loses traction.

In my last 2 runs, I did notice it make a quick chirp but it was only for a very short moment. Didn't seem to cause any issues though like previous attempts.

Was weight saving just the removal of the sub? I wonder how much your new intake contributed...

Just the sub removed. I have experimented in the past with removing the spare wheel but strangely enough, I have found that the difference can sometimes be nil... and in other cases, make the time worse. I'm no engineer so I don't know how that works. I would imagine it has to do with the initial weight shift reducing the traction up front. All I know is that a car like this has a limit to how light you can go before things start going the opposite way.

I do run on a 'low' amount of fuel however and I weight just that fraction lighter (8kg) then when I did a run before. On top of that, another thing I have found that helps is to have the passenger seat all the way forward considering it is quite heavy as it is being electric and all.

Edit: YEW!!!! Photo of my last run.

post-615-1279753527726526529.jpg

• Like 1

hey daryl... you do know that stock xr6t's run roughly the same 1/4mile dont you... ;)

sure sure, xr6ts can run a LOT faster with only a few bolt on mods, but thats besides the point!

munch munch munch xr6ts for you... hehehe

also helps to take a dump before you go... :ph34r:

did i just take it too far? haha

I'm sure jockeys do the same thing before a big race lol

I'm sure that's more to do with accident prevention than weight saving - kinda a moot point though because IMO all jockeys are just little ****s

The last time I run down the 1/4 in my old FWD taking out the sub, spare tyre and only running with a 1/4 tank of fuel it took off half a sec. Shouldnt taking more weight from the back give more traction in a FWD car?

The last time I run down the 1/4 in my old FWD taking out the sub, spare tyre and only running with a 1/4 tank of fuel it took off half a sec. Shouldnt taking more weight from the back give more traction in a FWD car?

Basically that's correct, however there's a science behind it; weight transfer, suspension setup etc have a lot to do with it. Weight at the back does also assist to a degree in holding the front down as well. Every car is different, which is why people still mix and match suspension components these days in a trial and error method.

Did your last FWD have 200kW at the wheels?

Like I said, I think it may have to do with weight transfer. The way I imagine this is that with less weight at the rear, there is less load on the rear springs. I think the springs are more progressive in their design in that the initial bit of compression is 'easy' and then after that it gets 'harder'. Because of this, during the launch you then have more travel available to the rear springs thus weight is taken of the front wheels much quicker. Combine this with the power put down to the wheels, and it causes an easier loss in traction.

As said, it's only my ideas. I took my last Sportivo down to the drags more than 25 or so times and my theory is based on findings from that. I didn't say removing weight won't help... I just mentioned that there can be a limit. I suspect that if I had coilovers and made the rear as stiff as possible, then things may be a little different.

• Like 1

After seeing Andrew's video, I felt like mucking around as well. Since I was fuelled up on caffeine and was quite bored, I headed out for a drive. Hit up the Clem7 (Kim7 for the day) as well since all tolls are being donated to Think Pink (went through twice just before midnight).

Unfortunately the TRD Aurion just doesn't make as much noise as Andrew's. A bit of a disappointment that is. In addition to that, it is harder to capture the sound because the TVS makes more noise in it's lower RPM's and gets quieter the faster it spins. Add to the fact that it's not very easy to get a WOT condition on low revs on an automatic that doesn't hold gears, and the end result isn't very satisfying. Nevertheless, I have the following clips... including my favourite highway offramp at the end just for fun:

That is some hard acceleration. I watched it the second time to see the RPM's on each run. I've never hit that much before. I just love how the TRD is so planted on the road and around corners.

Gimme the car.

edit: It sucks that you can't go past 100KM/h aye. I can see that your itching to go past 100KM/h. I find it so hard to follow the speed limit when I do a "hard" acceleration because it reaches the speed limit too easy. <_<

double edit: Couldn't help myself, watched it the third time :lol:

Can't get enough of the wine.

Edited by unique

That is some hard acceleration.

Surprisingly it wasn't. To get it to make some noise like when I was accelerating in the tunnels, I had to get it to shift into 2nd then apply about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. Any more than that it would firstly have a good tendency to kick into 1st to get more acceleration or it would simply pick up revs too quickly. Once the revs get high, the engine noise alone is louder than the supercharger.

It's a shame it is too quiet. You don't hear much supercharger whine out there.

Well here's more what a supercharged Toyota should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rs2jklMOOs

That is some hard acceleration.

Surprisingly it wasn't. To get it to make some noise like when I was accelerating in the tunnels, I had to get it to shift into 2nd then apply about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. Any more than that it would firstly have a good tendency to kick into 1st to get more acceleration or it would simply pick up revs too quickly. Once the revs get high, the engine noise alone is louder than the supercharger.

It's a shame it is too quiet. You don't hear much supercharger whine out there.

Well here's more what a supercharged Toyota should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rs2jklMOOs

I want one now :lol:

My cousin has the same car, sportivo version v6. Amazing what you can do to it. :spiteful: