Should i buy a TRD??

ZRSHIFT

Hi guys to start off my budget is about 36k and im here in Perth (WA)

I hav found a 33k 3500S TRD (Red) and hav found a 3500SL (Silver) for 36k

Altho i have heard that a TRD is capable of a 13.8sec 1/4 mile does anybody know of which mods that are available for the TRD??

I havent heard of anybody modifying their TRD.

Plus.. Can u add on rear mufflers for this car? Coz that rear bumper seems like it gets in the way...

At the same time im looking at other cars too!! But i cant make up my mind...

The reason why i want a Aurion or a TRD is becoz for 36k it has looks, comfort and power (1/4 power)

Ive been looking at Subaru's but still cant make up my mind

Sorry for the 100 questions but i need abit of advice from others

Cheers,

Peter

Altho i have heard that a TRD is capable of a 13.8sec 1/4 mile does anybody know of which mods that are available for the TRD??

Plus.. Can u add on rear mufflers for this car? Coz that rear bumper seems like it gets in the way...

The reason why i want a Aurion or a TRD is becoz for 36k it has looks, comfort and power (1/4 power)

Cheers,

Peter

hey.. do you drive a black zr6?? with plastic number plates?.... and go to uwa? if so nice car!

Cheers,

Peter

hey.. do you drive a black zr6?? with plastic number plates?.... and go to uwa? if so nice car!

Haha yeah my plates say ZRSHIFT and thanks!!

The TRD sure is capable of a 13.8 second 1/4 mile... in full street trim in a 3500SL which is slightly heavier. I believe it is capable of better than that if launched really well though. Only time will tell.

As for the mods, it's not something that has really been looked into yet with detail. Mainly due to the low numbers around and the fact that not too many owners out would consider looking into it.

That said, with my new TRD, I'm planning to get the exhaust fixed up by CES (in Brisbane) since I reckon that the stock exhaust has a bit of restriction that is really affecting it at the top end.

You sure can... if that's what you really want to do. All rear mufflers are going to do is change the sound it makes. It won't affect it's performance unless it is part of a complete exhaust system.

You just need to choose a muffler that is of the appropriate size so that it will fit in there comfortably. Another handy thing to do if you put new mufflers on is to get the tips bent downwards so that it keeps the cutouts in the bumper nice and clean.

Thanks for your input mate. Too bad no one has actually done up their TRD for others to know of.

The thing is, ive got my rear 2.5inch magnaflow mufflers from my ZR6 and also im gonna give my brother my y-pipe in exchange for his stock y-pipe

So if my rear mufflers can fit on the TRD then it would be nice to put them to good use.

Im still in the process of deciding which car to get for 36k budget tho...

TRD is first on the list, but also looking around at Subaru Liberty's and Impreza ect...

But at the end of the day i want looks, comfort (leather seats :D) and power (which is why TRD is winning)

I dont know if i want to buy a turbocharged car tho... Maintenance wise is gonna cost alot, but then again a TRD has a supercharger... So i wonder wat the maintenance cost of that will be?? Hahaha the 98octane on the TRD is gonna cost more than our normal 95... but oh well

just have a look at my members rides thread... i've done a few basic mods... cat back exhaust, brake upgrade, wheels and there is a bit of info on the intake i'm getting made (well, hopefully one day it'll get finished)...

as daryl said though... not many people out there have done anything to their trds... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, i'm in Perth also and have a SX6.

I've also been looking at some of the cheap TRD's around the place too. Big thing to keep in mind is that i have found all the cheap one's have been in a smash. A red one i looked at a while ago - they said was cheap because of high KM's. That was bull. The bonnet didn't line up, there was damage on the under side of the drivers side skirt and the drivers door didn't line up.

Repairs are hard to spot some times but why sell a $40K + car for under $36K or so. I opted to keep mine too cos i have the factory extended warranty plus no prangs.

The silver one you're talking about is a a dodgy wholesale yard too. Why do they have it? Repo maybe? If you're lucky.

Good luck to you tho. Hope you find a good one.

.... but why sell a $40K + car for under $36K or so.

I guess I got one of the better deals out there. Talk about lucky. 3500SL... 18,000km on the clock, still under factory warranty with Toyota Service Advantage, immaculate... and under $36k.

Sometimes you can be lucky.

.... but why sell a $40K + car for under $36K or so.

I guess I got one of the better deals out there. Talk about lucky. 3500SL... 18,000km on the clock, still under factory warranty with Toyota Service Advantage, immaculate... and under $36k.

Sometimes you can be lucky.

Yeah, i get what you're saying. It's just that the TRDs are still few and far between in Perth.

Hey, i'd buy one in a flash but my SX6 is worthless as a trade and most people here seem to be keeping the good ones.

TRD does lack an intercooler tho...

I've also been looking at some of the cheap TRD's around the place too. Big thing to keep in mind is that i have found all the cheap one's have been in a smash. A red one i looked at a while ago - they said was cheap because of high KM's. That was bull. The bonnet didn't line up, there was damage on the under side of the drivers side skirt and the drivers door didn't line up.

Repairs are hard to spot some times but why sell a $40K + car for under $36K or so. I opted to keep mine too cos i have the factory extended warranty plus no prangs.

The silver one you're talking about is a a dodgy wholesale yard too. Why do they have it? Repo maybe? If you're lucky.

Wow i had no idea aye!! Thanks for the heads up tho!! Looks like i hav to be careful if i go looking for one.

Wow i had no idea aye!! Thanks for the heads up tho!! Looks like i hav to be careful if i go looking for one.

Have a look at Melville Toyota. They've got a red 3500S with 7,000 k's for $38500.

Wondering whether this TRD got hail damaged as it was not being advertised for a while after the hail storm and then it's back being advertised again after a couple of weeks! The couple of weeks MIA could be the time taken to pull all the dents out... :spiteful:

I inspected the car the week before the hail storm and it was stuck at the front of the car yard out in the open with heaps of cars blocking a quick exit!! :o