Jump to content

Sportivo Hinge Failure Replacement Option


Recommended Posts

G'day guys,

I, like a few other ZZE123 owners, have had the hinges on the compartment above the ashtray fail. I have seen it fail in different ways, some having the hinges break, others having the spring closing mechanism fail

Toyota's only option was to replace the whole section, at around $700.

Wreckers had a few, but most were scratched, and expensive.

The design of the hinge does not lend itself to any kind of easy aftermarket replacement.

So, I decided to try something different. At worst, I could always go and get one from the wreckers, right?

I found this eBay Cupholder

Then used a Dremel to trim the back out of the original pocket, and the front off this unit, to allow it to fit.

I completed the installation using screws to securely mount the unit from the sides, and a little adhesive to apply the original fascia panel to the front of the cupholder. There was a little learning done along the way, and I think next time I would do a couple of things differently. (I cut away a bit of plastic from the back of the unit that I would not have if I was doing the same job again!) So, for somewhere around $30 my interior doesn't look bodgey anymore!

The cupholder is not in an ideal location, as it obscures your A/C controls if a cup is fitted, but I have gone from having an ugly black hole in my dash to having a cupholder and a felt lined tray which, when closed, looks stock. It's also a handy size for iPods and phones, but not quite big enough for a GPS.

I'll post up a pic when I get a chance.

Cheers, Nath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, I forgot to mention....

I was concerned about having a cupholder in this location as I was worried that this might foul the action of the stock gearshifter.

Fortunately, it doesn't cause any problems when the unit is mounted far back like I did. If you were to try and install the unit without cutting out the back of the pocket, you will not be able to fit this unit.

I need to advise that I did cut away a fair bit of plastic off the unit and the original pocket to make this work, so this "soultion" is not exactly what I would call "plug & play" - as the pic will show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

i used a metal paperclip, and loctite supere glue i had to drill a tiny hole on where the little thingo sticken out was to put the paper clip through, it was dodgy but u cant notice it and it hasnt skippoed a beat yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Toyota Owners Club AU © 2020 | This Website has no association with Toyota (AU) or Toyota Motor Corporation. | Cookies | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership